• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Style Gunshops

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
Back in my early years in shooting (80s and early 90s), there were several full service shops within an hour of drive time. These were the shops with a smith, lathe, mill and a rack of repair guns. Very few of those around these days. I have people want me to work on everything from Astra revolvers to J.C. Higgins shotguns. I am a nice guy and try to be accomodating, but I no longer do that kind of thing. I would usually end up having to run down parts and assembly/disassembly instructions only to have the owner pitch a fit when i told them they owed me $40. I still refinish some stocks and barreled actions, but nothing like I described above.

My favorite shop was Bend of the River in Cookeville, TN. The owner had a personality like cardboard until you got to know him. There was a table and chairs for the regulars (I was one). Met some characters and drank coffee and ate too many donuts.

Anyone have or had a shop like that?

Fishing and Hunting Store, Fort Pierce, Ed Felix was proprietor. Smelled like a gun shop. My 1st pistol was a S&W Model 17 w a 6" barrel ($120). 1st rifle was a Winchester 9422M.

Next to the RR track, had a dog that would howl when a train went by.

The Red Field 3-9x was the "cool guy" scope. Woo.

Today, some pimpled face kid looks at you like you are from another planet if you ask about a K-22. "What's a Browning Hi- Power?".

Kids today think a Cabela's is a "gun store".

Last edited:
Altavista Hardware, Altavista Virginia. Bought my first there. A nickel plated S&W 38 revolver. That was 1968, No waiting, no BS, no phone calls to the ATF. The only paperwork was the sales receipt. Ah for the good old days.

Today, some pimpled face kid looks at you like you are from another planet if you ask about a K-22. "What's a Browning Hi- Power?".

Kids today think a Cabela's is a "gun store".

Yes sir I feel your pain. We're fortunate to have a big gun store/indoor range with another opening soon as well here in the okc metro mess but I miss the old gun shops my dad would frequent. The big dedicated gun stores we have are nice but any more the kids they're hiring to work there leave a lot to be desired. And most look at you like your an alien if you shoot something other than a tacticool ar or a Glock. Not that there's anything wrong with them I just prefer other options. And I miss the feeling that the help actually knew you.

Here in Oz your local gunsmith is everything, seller, repairman, sage advice.

We have a few "gun marts" out in the fringe suburbs but any shooter worth their salt wont go near em.

There was an old gun shop on the south side of Chicago (59th & Rockwell). It was in one of those old time store fronts, maybe 25ft. wide with the 20ft. high tin tiled ceilings. He had racks of Springfield and Garand rifles. In the front display window he had 37mm anti-tank cannon, various machine guns and a bazooka. Things have sure changed since the 50's and early 60's.

Sad!

Hard to find a shop like that these days and on the rare occasion you might find one, its either run by excessively rude people or its run by those that feel the need to give you an entire 2nd Amendment lecture and an update on the state of the union before they actually sell you anything. Unfortunately we live in the time of a "disposable" mindset and if it breaks or needs repair most will either sell it or trade it before taking the time to fix it. I purchased my first handgun (S&W Model 19) at the local Buttrey's grocery store. Miss those days, pick up some groceries and swing past the gun counter and pick up a few boxes of .357 and see the new firearms :)

Last edited:
Guns and Ammo, Memphis TN, Gun Smith on site, full line of weapons from cheap to high end, scopes same way (to include SBs), holsters, lights, some cases, but 90% guns and ammo. 100s of long guns and hand guns IN STOCK. No table and chairs, no donuts or coffee pot wish they did, but they'd have to increase the size of the shop. I'm writing down the name of the shops others have posted, and if I get in one of those areas, I'll put it on the top of my list-a great gun shop is worth the extra mile!

I had the privilege of growing up in shop like that. My dad would go in and hang out an help behind the counter when needed. I would be in the range with a couple boxes of 22 for the evening and when out, i could go behind the counter too. I dared not pick any guns up unless it was handed to me, but i was a pretty big deal in my little world. We did this 2-3 nights a week as long as my grades were good.
Sadly my son has no idea what thats like as an 8-14 yo wandering around behind a gun counter would be crazy talk now.

Ryan

Lee's Gun Shop, Henderson, Nevada. The owner Lee was a big guy been a deputy sheriff back in Alabama and a Navy veteran. Lee had some great folks in there on a regular basis. The gun smiths and a professional re-loader. I got an education there I would not have gotten anywhere else. I remember when Lee finally sold that store to Rance, and he hired this X-Navy prick from Vermont to mind the store for him. That man ran off a lot of customers, including me; and a herd of gun buyers that Lee had spent a long time developing his customer bass. I do miss that shop and some of the better folks that were there. I guess its been nearly 20 years.

Wayne's Gun Shop, formerly of Dublin CA.

Great guns (especially the Title II), great service, great guys, great place to hang out... then CA outlawed even his non-NFA inventory. Wayne sold out to Gary who upheld the tradition of greatness until the harassment prompted Gary to close.

Ahlmans
Great store, gunsmith, shooting ranges getting updated, and home of the SHOOTERS ROUNDUP, two days of full auto fun and dealers from almost every gun manufacture letting almost anyone try their newest lineup.

Also www.billsgs.com, a wide variety of guns, an indoor gun range, where I spent many, many hours shooting,and sitting around a big table listening to stories from guys that have walked the walk.

I do understand what you are getting at, but even at the Cabelas and Gander Mountain I have found the guys behind the counter to be polite and informative,around here anyway.