• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Old Super Sniper question

mackdrvr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
NY....Hudson Valley
I have an old SS 10X42M model that I got around 2001. I zeroed it at 100 yards, and have'nt touched it since. The other day I went to turn the turrets, and they were almost siezed. I had to wrap my fist around the whole turret, and use alot of strength to turn both the elevation, and windage turrets. Is this common with the older models? My buddy has the same model that he just got and his turrets turn with two fingers, and have louder, more smoother clicks when doing adjustments. Thanks in advance.

Re: Old Super Sniper question

I have a 20X from that time and it clicks well but the recticle started to rotate (I had it on my 50 bmg).

I have one from that era and it was pretty stiff when new but has loosened up over time. It has receiced more "exercise" than you discribed. Try exercising it a bit and if it is still a problem call SWFA, good folk willing to help.

I admit that I have not used it that much. I feel this stiffness is from lack of use too. Future plans call for a NF unit to replace it anyway. Thanks guys.

It sounds to me like the water proofing grease used for the mil spec sealing has set up. I would try running the turrets fully in and out to work to he grease. If this doesn't relieve the issue to your satisfaction I would contact SWFA they have always been 100%. I have 3 SS 10X40's they only have gotten better with use.

You hit the nail on the head. The salt water proofing grease does set up. Just run them the full length of their travel several times and it will be good to go. If they are still too tight send it back to us and we'll send you another one.

Simple DIY fix. Get some Dielectric silicone grease available at your local auto parts store. Ask for spark plug boot grease. It's slick as snot, waterproof as snot and won't dry out like snot. It's better than the oft cited soution of replacing the "O" rings with smaller units and more hygenic than using snot.

I thank everyone for the replies. I'm gonna run the turrets in and out a couple times to see if this helps.
SWFA...I'm sure the scope will be fine. I was just curious about the tightness. Thanks for the generous offer to replace the unit if necessary.