• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Old walnut M-14 / M1a government stocks

Goodwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
Utah, USA
I have a new SA M1a NM and I want to get a cool old wood stock for it. I have a nice WW2 Garand, and would love to have an old issued stock (with the P stamp and DoD like my Garand) to add to the M1a.

Is there a good source for these? An internet search revealed Fred's. Is this the place to go? Anyone have experience here?

I just want an old, decent wood stock to use as a "shooting" stock, it doesn't have to be a pristine NOS or anything. It is mostly to look cool, and to add the old feel and smell of my Garand to this gun. This may be lame, but I think I still want to do it... Anyone have any sources?

Re: Old walnut M-14 / M1a government stocks

I have a stock, no hand guards but does have the metal, butt plate, rear sling swival. Has a rack number in yellow paint and the P stamp. Didn't see a DOD stamp but just clanced at it. I can sed pics if interested. Will have to check records to see what I paid for it.

Fred bought out 1000's of M14 stocks when the USG got rid of them. Stacked to the ceiling in an old warehouse/converted farmhouse. I went there a number of years ago and picked out an awesome tigerstripe stock. He was a one-man shop, so looking yourself sped things up. I don't have any recent experience, so my comments are dated...

Freds has a huge inventory but his service is not very good. He is well known to accept your payment and not send your stock without repeated pestering. I purchase from him but I start sending emails if I don't receive my products withing 3 weeks after he charges my credit card.

You can find them on Ebay and there's also a seller on Gunbroker that has them for sale on a regular basis. However, I would try the trader boards and AR15.com and, especially, m14forum.com.

As for Fred's, I would do some serious research on the same forums mentioned above and Google. I don't think it will take you long to determine that it's not worth the trouble.

I just checked Gunbroker and there are at least 10 listed that would fit your needs. Prices from $50 to $249

I think I'd be much more comfortable with gunbroker, having delt there before. Didn't even think about it for parts.

N64atlas - I'd be interested, pending the price is right for the stock. Have a look to see what you are into it, and throw me a PM, maybe we can do a deal.

Everyone - Thanks for all the replies! Im relatively new here, but the guys I've delt with here are great resources. Or at least masters of Internet google-fu! At any rate, I've found the information here much more wide spanning than what I expected. Great guys here on the hide.

CMP is selling them for $35 a pop. Many have gotten fresh refurbs still in the bag from RI Arsenal. There have been pictures of Winchester cherry stocks. All have the cut out for the switch if that bothers you.

I think the stocks for individual sale have been nicer than than stocks that come with the parts kits. Some of the posters have reported gold painted drill rifle wood (the horror, the horror)

Where is it on the CMP? I just came from the site and couldn't find anything in the M-14.

Never mind, I must be Internet illiterate. I found them.

Do a site search on CMP for "pics of M14 stocks" or ask some members opinions that have bought them. It is luck of the draw but $35 aint much to bet.

Yeah, I might have to do it just to have one to mess with that I dont care about. I guess I've lost a few worse bets. I could get lucky on one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freds has a huge inventory but his service is not very good. He is well known to accept your payment and not send your stock without repeated pestering. I purchase from him but I start sending emails if I don't receive my products withing 3 weeks after he charges my credit card. </div></div>

This...I've read too many horror stories about Fred's - I personally wouldn't be willing to take a chance ordering from him.

AvsFan
frown.gif

If you check his site now, he's saying he wants to retire therefore don't order unless you want to wait. I would check Boyds for a stock, had a friend get walnut from them for a scout a few years back.

Yeah... I'm hearing too many "stories" about stock buying with Fred. I just want to get something old, good and usable to mimic my Garand, and shoot the thing. I really don't want to throw $100.00 or so into the next "look what happened to me while buying a Fred's stock" thread.

M14 (the only "Woodstock" I remember)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HFV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M14 (the only "Woodstock" I remember) </div></div>
That is classic! Can I use it as a sig quote?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HFV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M14 (the only "Woodstock" I remember) </div></div>

I saw that very bumper sticker on a car while driving to work a few weeks back.

I've gotten a couple of really nice GI M14 stocks at gunshows for $40 to $50. Nice ones. One of them looked darn near new and the other just had one scratch and one dent in it.

One thing about trying to make a stock too pretty. I got into M1 Garands a little bit a few years ago. I would strip the stocks, do some light sanding on them and use either BLO or tung oil to refinish them. I was cleaning one up one day and trying to steam some of the dents out of it and my wife said, "Oh, don't make it too pretty, you're taking all the character out of the stock." Since my wife is usually pretty quiet about my guns I looked up and asked her what she meant. She said, "Those dents and scratches are there for a reason. Who knows where that rifle has been or what some soldier did with it. Don't take the marks off the stock. The marks are part of that rifle's story."

Sometimes (just sometimes) she makes me stop, listen and realize how lucky I am to have her. And that she's paying more attention to what I'm doing than I give her credit for.

CMP web site and both stores has complete M14 stocks for 35 bucks. Includes all metal. Pot luck on wether you get a Walnut stock or Birch stock. I have picked out a couple stocks for others at the south store at the Oxford (south) store for a couple friends because they did not like the new plastic stocks that come on the Springfield M1A's. I saw two walnut stocks at the south store three weeks ago. The other stocks were Birch but in very good shape. If you live near Port Clinton, OH or Oxford, AL you can go to the CMP stores and pick one out or ask on the CMP forums on the store links to have someone do that for you.

Yeah, I have not done a CMP stock yet, and I should just throw my 35 bucks down and get one. For so little investment, at least I would have some good metal if the stock just doesn't turn out to be what I was after.

I would have to agree 100 percent on keeping the scratches and dings the stock has. It is one of the things that appeals to me with a GI stock. I guess I buy into the "imagine the stories it could tell" thing quite a bit. Real cool with the wood and steel ones.

I just went thru the exact same scenario with my M1A. Brand new stock, but I wanted something to hammer around with. I DID buy a 45 dollar stock from Freds. Service was just fine, and I got the stock in reasonable time (2 weeks). I would very comfortably deal with him again. The M14 stock I got had ALL the hardware, and had some awesome arsenal marks, rack marks, etc. Even a few dings here and there, but just added to the character. I think Fred's gotten a bad name by some folks who want immediate gratification.