• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Winchester Model 70 rebuild?

Pointman308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Idaho
I have an old Win 70 22-250 that the barrel is shot out of. Its not a Mauser style bolt and extractor, but the gun has some sentimental meaning for me. The recoil lug is incorporated into the action which I'm kind of fond of. Was wondering if the gun is worth the effort of squaring up, barreling, and restocking. Was also thinking of converting it over to .260 Remington. It would be in honor of my late Grandpa who pretty much taught me everything about hunting, fishing, and life in general. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Definitely worth the effort... I have one that I've had for many years, just recently shown some attention to it. I plan to shoot the piss out of it, lap the lugs and re-barrel once its kaput. Not really sure which caliber I'm going to settle on, .22-250AI, .243AI, 6 Dasher, .308AI, dunno.. decisions, decisions, decisions...

Here is the link to my project:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2-lipstick-pig-****range-pics-up-9-8****.html

Not sure what you want to spend on it, send it to Chad at Longrifles INC and tell him the history behind it, bet he would do you up right he likes working on the Winchester. As far as it being worth squaring up and rebarrel, best there is.

Thanks guys. I feel the same way about the action on these old rifles. I don't think Ill regret it for more than one reason for sure. I think I'm going to do all the work myself to boot.(with some help)

Definitely worth the effort... I have one that I've had for many years, just recently shown some attention to it. I plan to shoot the piss out of it, lap the lugs and re-barrel once its kaput. Not really sure which caliber I'm going to settle on, .22-250AI, .243AI, 6 Dasher, .308AI, dunno.. decisions, decisions, decisions...

Here is the link to my project:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2-lipstick-pig-****range-pics-up-9-8****.html

Thanks for that reply Swagger. I forgot about this post you put up and didn't take notice of the action until now. I think I'm on the right track.

I've got an old push feed M70, in 22/250 that had a shot out barrel. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, It has the 2 piece floor plate and a large mag box spacer allowing for 2.428 or so OAL. So I built a 30BR on it! feeds 5 out the mag perfect The 30BR is effortlessly accurate and great fun

Back in the Mid 80s I ran across a guy who traveled the west coast of Alaska dealing and trading with Alaska natives. These people arnt know for taking care of their rifles so he'd buy up what most people would call "junk" and part them out.

Anyway, I bought 6 Model 70 (all push feeds) actions for a total of $235 for the lot. I made some darn good rifles out of these. Two were made into 1000 yard match rifles that I and a shooting partner of mine used when we were shooting for the NG, one I made into a Vietnam era Sniper rifle clone, One my wife's hunting rifle in 243 (one of the best shooters), one I made into a 338 WM I made to trade for a Motorcycle. I forgot where the 6th went.

There is nothing wrong with these actions and they can be made into excellent shooters. Not much is required except for squaring the face with the internal threads and lapping the bolt lugs.

Of course I am bias, the Model 70 is my favorite action.

I too wanted a 260 Rem, but I've run out of actions. I found one on the CMP Auction a while back that was a AMU target rifle in 308. It was listed as "parts missing" I got it thinking of turning it into a 260. Yeah, Parts missing, a missing bolt. I had another bolt, head spaced it, put some sights on it, now I have a Across the Course Bolt gun and I'm still looking for another Model 70 action. I got my eye on a pair of rifles, One is a pre-64 and one is a Model 54. Not sure I will mess with them, if he comes down to a decent price for the pair, I'll have two more Winchesters. But they are too nice to use as a build.

Here is the AMU Model 70 Tgt.

DSCN0101.JPG

This is my 1000 yard rifle I used when I shot for the NG, 300 WM......Single shot from the 6 actions I mentioned above.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Mines pretty special to me because it was my grandpas and he let me use it to kill my first deer with he was pretty proud of this rifle. I want to honor him by rebuilding it and making it a world class rifle. He would be pretty proud of the skills I have acquired as a shooter and hunter.

I actually just did this. It's a post 64 mdl 70 that the previous owner re-barreled to 260 and then lost interest. I had it re-bedded and PTG bottom metal fitted to it. Only annoyance was that I couldn't find a manners or mcmillan stock for it so it's in an HS precision. Tripping over Manners and Mcmillan HTG style stocks for the 700, tikka, howa, but nooooooo post 64 model 70 short actions. So I guess I'll just shoot it a bit and if I like it then I'll custom order a manners the way I want and just wait a zillion weeks to get it.