• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old workout weights as targets?

Northland

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Louisiana
Anyone every use old 25lbs, 35lbs, or any other plates as targets before?

I'm sure each brand is different, just wondering how they held up...

Re: Old workout weights as targets?

I would imagine they're pretty soft, but haven't ever tried myself.

Kind of what I was thinking... might work for smaller caliber. But I don't expect them to hold up to .223, .308, and up

I agree with 'The Mechanic' on the shortcomings of cast iron as a target... Plus, they have a hole in the middle so they would be no good for me
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with 'The Mechanic' on the shortcomings of cast iron as a target... Plus, they have a hole in the middle so they would be no good for me
grin.gif
. </div></div>

hahahaha thanks smart ass lol!

I pretty much figured that cast iron wouldn't be worth a shit for targets, but saw a bunch being thrown away and thought about it...

Probably be worth it to shoot em once or twice if you can grab them for free... or use as Rimfire targets.

They are useful to use with. 50 API rounds. Gives the round something to light off of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus, they have a hole in the middle so they would be no good for me
grin.gif
. </div></div>

LMAO!

The idea would be to not hit anything but the hole in the middle then you have no problem with them breaking

Get all the old workout weights you can get

Sell them to a gym or on ebay

Buy nice new steel targets with the money