• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Older custom bench gun

Ridgerunner60

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2017
First time posting on site. Really enjoy information from posts. I have an opportunity to buy a custom long range rifle in a 7mm mag. It was made by a deceased gunsmith in PA. It’s 30 years old or so. Never fired. It has a Mauser action, 26 in stainless heavy barrel and custom thumbhole stock. Has technology changed that much over the years? Would it be worth buying? If so what would be a good price? Thanks in advance for info!

7 mag is a great long range cartridge still.

Hopefully is has a twist rate to handle the 162 or 168 grain bullets, likely it does, but you might check into it.

If I was seeking a rifle that I was going to be shooting a lot it'd be a modern action with less recoil, and I've had three 7mm's.

Hunting, yeah why not take the Mauser.

firearms technology hasnt changed significantly over that last 100yrs.........30 yrs is nothing

Thanks guys! Never bought a custom made gun before. Will definitely look at twist rate. Anything else? The cost is around $600. Any thoughts on price?

The rifle has a 26 in stainless heavy barrel and thumbhole stock. Was made by now deceased gunsmith. Thanks

I was told the gunsmith was a man by the name of Hugh Green. Have you heard of him? Thanks!

Here are a couple pictures D5EC7ADE-E066-402C-802A-343260257EEB.jpeg1D5296AA-784B-4EE2-8865-22868B7A3D59.jpeg9F245CE8-E3AC-4832-B70B-781065611427.jpeg

Thanks for your help guys! Pick the gun up today. Great looking rifle and I’m sure it will shoot great. Your opinions helped greatly!

Reactions: PBWalsh
Probably my last post about this gun. You guys were absolutely right the gun shoots great! Had .75 moa for my first group with the 7mm mag. Just not used to the light trigger pull! Your advice got me to buy the rifle. I’ll definitely be back to pick you guys minds! Thanks again.

Reactions: PBWalsh