• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes older Leupold M1 Ultra

oldolds442

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
macon, ga
i picked up an ultra 16x M1 sn. 84 0054 for about $450 a few years ago. i know that everybody here hate Leupold stuff, but back in the day, was this any good? who would have used it and was it built in 1984? let the flaming begin....

Re: older Leupold M1 Ultra

Good scope and you got it for a good price. I have one, it came on the .300 Remington SAUM I got from Mick right here on the hide. In 94 I got an M-1 ultra 20X from a sniper school buddy of mine. I got it for 500.00. I sure wish I kept that thing. A lot of .50 cal guys were using them. When your eyes start to go with age you need good glass just to see. To dam bad my vision to check book wasn't worse but I can see that money leave quickly and with astonishing clarity.

Mcmillan....Rob Furlong used one to make his 2k hit that was the record for quite awhile.

does the 84 in the seriel number mean that it was made in 1984, and is number 54?

the thing seems like you could use it for a jack handle for your car. it is really stout

I had a Mk 1 Ultra years ago. It was only ever on my 50 BMG. They were incredibly strong & never gave any powers what so ever in 6 years of being on a 50. It sounds like you snagged an excellent deal. Years ago I was told that the lenses were set in epoxy so disassembly was impossible. I don't know anyone that ever had a problem but that was the word. Enjoy a terrific scope.

I think that they used a letter for their date code but might be different if it was a mil scope.

My geezer neighbor has several ultra ones most 10X and they are nice, easily as good or better than the current comparable models.

its on a pss that i just put in a mcmillan a4 with a badger m5 dbm. hope to take it to the range in the next couple of weeks and give it a try. have only put about 40 rounds downrange with it, and just put the new stock on it.

the thing seems like you could use it for a jack handle for your car. it is really stout
I know that I'm replying to this a little after the fact but I purchased two of the Ultra 20X-M1a scopes from Kent Lamont back in 1993. One of these went on a Barrett and the other has been sitting in my safe ever since. I still have the original sales sheet he supplied with the scopes. The way Kent described these to me was they were originally sold to the USMC, about 100 and the scopes were eventually turned to DCMA sales and he purchased 65 of them.

That said, these were for military application only, not commercially available and were no longer in production. The features of the scope are as follows;
Ultra Heavy-Duty construction
One-Piece Aircraft Aluminum Tube (.010" thick)
Etched Glass Reticule, (these were sent to Germany to have this done and this was not an option in the newer Mark IV)
Sized for NATO 30mm rings
144 Minute Vertical Adjustment
48 Minute Horizontal Adjustment
Adjusts in 1/4 Minute Clicks
Unparalleled Accuracy
This has been a very good scope and I have not been disappointed with its performance. BTW, these originally sold for $1250.00. I've included the original sales sheet.

Attachments

• 210420 Leopold Ultra XM-1 20X Scope.pdf
    480.4 KB · Views: 90