• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Older Redfield

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
A freind of mine has an ols Redfield scope 6 X 18 , it has two stadia lines near the top of the obj. above the crosshair, it also has numbers from 200-60 in 50 yd increments visible in the reticle. Can antone give me the history on this scope? Thanks

Re: Older Redfield

It's either an Accu-Track or an Accu-Range, Does it have a. adjustable elevation turrent? If it does thats the Accu-Track.Heres my BDL Varmint Special (6mm) with 6-18 Accu-Track.
Guns262.jpg

My buddy was told by someone that these were used on Sniper rifles during the Viet Nam era. ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My buddy was told by someone that these were used on Sniper rifles during the Viet Nam era. ??? </div></div>

Yup they were bought out of the MCX for cash and bolted onto MWR Winchester target rifles via Redfield Jr. bases and rings.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's either an Accu-Track or an Accu-Range, Does it have a. adjustable elevation turrent? If it does thats the Accu-Track.Heres my BDL Varmint Special (6mm) with 6-18 Accu-Track.
Guns262.jpg
</div></div> I just put that exact scope on my M40 SSA Rifle. I thought it was an Accu-range 6-18x but it does have the elevation turret. I didn't know that made it an Accu-track. I didn't think the Accu-track had the range estimation "Tombstone". Good info! Thanks!
262mmvd.jpg

In the 60's/70's Redfield's scopes were considered top line optics and the primary differences being - you have noted - the type of adjustment knobs used - accu-track for precision adjustments and standard hunting type low. Redfield also had a wide selection of reticles, including the accu-range. I still have my 6-18x (with a tapered X-hair & circle center dot) and a 4-12x w/ the accu-range. Being a 2nd focal plane reticle the stadia lines change their subtended angle (not their apparent size)with the power change and directly correspond to the numbered scale in yards (200-600), low to high power, with an 18" target being bracketted. They were and still are excellent scopes. jackdm
ps - I believe you could get any reticle with either type.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My buddy was told by someone that these were used on Sniper rifles during the Viet Nam era. ???</div></div>

The 3-9x Redfield Accu-Range scopes were chosen by the USMC for use in Vietnam on the M40 sniper rifles starting in 1966. They were the standard issue scopes for this platform until it was discontinued and as such are the only scopes considered "correct" for the Vietnam-era M40 rifles.

The 6-18x Redfield didn't come out until 1971 and was never issued by the Corps on the M40, but some examples may have made it into Vietnam via private purchase by individual Marines.

Thanks guys. I looked thru it only once but the optics are great. It is mounted on his .17, shoots great.