• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Older Rem 700 action

Blackhawk 1

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I traded for what I think is an older Rem 700 rifle (serial # 68812xx) it has from the factory drilled & tapped on the left side of the action I guess for iron sights. The reason I'm asking is if a action is from certain period is that desirable for anyone build a period M40?

Is there reference material to date Remington serial numbers to year of production. Any information will be appreciated!

Re: Older Rem 700 action

7 digit numbers started in 69ish and went until roughly early 73. Then the rear bridge height was raised .017 and the anti bind rail was added to bolt raceway, thus the start of the A etc prefixes.

A handfull of M40's were built from 69ish to 71 using 7 digit recievers but most want 6 digit for M40 or their M40A1(first were built from worn out M40's) for their builds.

HTH

Re: Older Rem 700 action

There is a Remington collectors forum that has a lot of that information. Easiest to date from the stamps on the barrel. Google the forum and you should find it. JMHO