• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Older Remington700 PSS value

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I have the opportunity to buy a used but mint older Remington serial C408*** and I wanted to know the value. What is it worth. There is also a Leupold Mark4-10x scope, leupold mark4 base with badger rings. Thanks.

Re: Older Remington700 PSS value

Anyone know when this was made with the serial info?

Is it the wood stock with 24" tube or HS stock with 24". Majority of the C prefix receivers were from 85ish to 90-91. Thereabouts. If a wood stock probably a bit more than a synthetic just because I think there were fewer made? Always wanted one of the first 700P's but never seem to have da coin when one shows. I listed a 10X awhile back at $775 shipped and never sold it. I could have given it away for some cheezy offers but.....

Theres an older Rem 700 PSS with 24 inch barrel, C-prefix with a leupold 3x9 for sale on GB starting at 599 no reserve, theres another one at 500, if that gives you an idea.

That's really cheap! Right? Why so cheap? Are the older remys not desirable??...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's really cheap! Right? Why so cheap? Are the older remys not desirable??...</div></div> They just don't have much collector value until you get into the six digit S/N range of receivers. "C" series receivers are still a "dime a dozen", just not literally...

Are the older any mire desirable then the newer ones?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the older any mire desirable then the newer ones?</div></div> What are you planning on doing with it? Leaving it as is, customizing, collector... It all depends.

In my opinion, as a donor action for a custom project, just find the cheapest one you can that is in good shape. It will have to be trued anyhow, but you might as well buy a custom action right from the get go and have it retain it's value more.

Collector, find one built in the 60's or prior.

As is, newer/new, unless the price is right...

I have a 700PSS in 300 Winchester. If you offered me $500 I would laugh at you. One of the best shooting factory out of the box rifles I have ever seen. And guns are going up in price, not down. $600 or $700 on the rifle if mint and shot very little would be a fair price. IMO.

The scope is another thing. Pricng an older Leupold can be a bit difficult. And a straight 10X older Leupold is not a highly sought after scope. Maybe some guys here would buy it, but it would not sell very well anywhere else. I am not exactly sure what your 10X would bring. A few more guys will help you with that.

What cartrdige is the PSS you are looking at?? Tom.

I thought the Leupold Mk4's were great scopes. Yes? No?

Ok, it seems you're just looking for a shooter here... Although you still won't say and despite asking what is the value for one, you won't say what kind of "bargain" you think you're getting. What's it worth TO YOU, not to someone else. That's all that matters, isn't it?

For Pete's sake, just buy the thing if you think it's a good deal and quit trying to split hairs analyzing this to death.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the Leupold Mk4's were great scopes. Yes? No? </div></div>

The Leupold scope is a great scope. They get beat up a bunch on this forum. But IMO they are still a top of the line performer, with a fantastic warranty.

What I meant was that a straight 10X power scope is not a popular scope in general just because of the magnification of the scope.

Personally I like them. And alot of other people on this forum also like the straight 10X. But for the general shooting public the straight 10X is at the bottom of the popularity list. Tom.