• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Olympic arms umar 22-250

Ammo dog 2311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New york
Has anyone shot the Olympic arms umar 22-250. Saw the advertisement in shot gun news and thought this may be a real nice coyote slaying weapon. Checked Olympics web site and they make it in a couple different calibers also. The 243 looks tempting to. Anybody got any useful info ?

Re: Olympic arms umar 22-250

Didn't know you were into paperweights... I have sold tons of Olympic arms ARs and they have about a 60% return rate. I have even had one that had been back to the factory twice and still had issues. The guy said screw it and bought a Les Bare. He never looked back.

As for a 22-250 AR. I like the concept but a 223 would work just fine for the AR platform when hunting yotes. Or even a 204 ruger. Ammo also isn't very cheep for 22-250 either. You would be better suited to go with a 22-250 in a bolt gun.

Thanks, Did not know Olympic arms was junk. I have a JP and a armalite in .223 already and a Remington in 22-250 bolt gun plus many other semi's and bolts from .22 to 338 lapua.
Why are people buying these if there junk? What is the problem with the gun ? What are the doing to make them junk ? What was the problem with the returned rifles ? Is it the upper receiver or the bolt carrier or the barrel or the lower ?
I am no rookie when it comes to firearms so a detailed list of problems may help. Are you sure it's not the guy behind the rifle ?

I guess my ML2 is the only olympic that has never had a problem...I have put 1500 rounds through the gun and never had a hickup, i understand that 1500 ain't a lot, but its enough to prove reliability

I saw the OlyArms .22-250 at SHOT this year. They basically milled into the rear area of the mag well to get the COAL length needed for .22-250, and have their own polymer mags.

I knew a guy at Bragg who used to work for Oly Arms as an assembler, and he said he wouldn't buy their stuff after what he saw. That was back in 2003-2004 time-frame.

I know a lot of their barrels are extremely accurate, but there were definitely some issues with parts back in the day.

I had a 9mm Oly Arms carbine break on me and go full-auto at a range called Bullseye in Tacoma, WA...dumped a 32rd Uzi mag like it was fun all over the range, as it was in my kid's hands. I watched my life, and everyone's around us flash before my eyes as bullets splattered all over the ceiling, lane barricades, table top, and wall as I lunged for it in slow-motion, attempting to control a runaway gun.

Their WSSM AR15's are renowned for feeding issues, back and forth to the factory. It's too bad really.

Thanks for the info. Any word on the current state of affairs over at olympic ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo dog 2311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. Any word on the current state of affairs over at olympic ? </div></div>

Olympic has one of the single WORST reputations throughout the industry for the quality and reliability of their rifles. Generally speaking, they are crude builds suffering from poor fit/finish, substandard parts, poor reliability, etc.

I wouldn't piss on an Oly if it was on fire!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo dog 2311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Did not know Olympic arms was junk. I have a JP and a armalite in .223 already and a Remington in 22-250 bolt gun plus many other semi's and bolts from .22 to 338 lapua.
Why are people buying these if there junk? What is the problem with the gun ? What are the doing to make them junk ? What was the problem with the returned rifles ? Is it the upper receiver or the bolt carrier or the barrel or the lower ?
I am no rookie when it comes to firearms so a detailed list of problems may help. Are you sure it's not the guy behind the rifle ? </div></div>

Why are people buying these if there junk? Its hard to pass up a $600 AR 15
What is the problem with the gun ? I have seen them do everything from bolt over base FTF, to failure, to eject to cases being stuck in the chamber. You name it. Most problems were fixed after 1 trip back to the factory but to have a huge return rate just says something about the quality of the products.

What are they doing to make them junk ? The quality of the parts are garbage. Just look at the bolt carrier of one. It has tooling marks on it. Many parts are out of spec.

What was the problem with the returned rifles ? Over gassed, Under gassed, and out of spec parts.

Is it the upper receiver or the bolt carrier or the barrel or the lower ? Mostly bolt carrier assembly and gas issues sometimes more than one problem.

If you have a ar already, have a 223AI barrel built for it. I have been using one for several years for yotes. Functions 100% and will get very close to 22-250 vel. And it shoots just as good while fire forming.

I'm curious how the company is run. I am aware of their poor reputation and I'm not sure how they can survive in such a diversified market. There is plenty of competition in the AR market.

My friend runs a specialized machine shop that does some finishing work for Olympic Arms occasionally. He mainly does aerospace work with some commercial customers. I've never been at his shop when there was an Olympic Arms job queued up on the shop floor but I know he didn't build a great reputation by completing work out of specifications to the customer's prints.

I'm guessing Olympic Arms simply has unacceptably wide tolerances on their parts and crappy assemblers that screw things up. It's HARD to make shitty parts with modern manufacturing equipment.

Looks like a will stay away from Olympic arms for now. Had now idea that any company could screw up an AR so bad.

Damn guess I got lucky....twice. Ive put 1000's of rounds through my K16 without any malfunctions along with great accuracy. I bought my dad one and even though he hasn't put 1000's of rounds through his it has preformed well along with great accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRAAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn guess I got lucky....twice. Ive put 1000's of rounds through my K16 without any malfunctions along with great accuracy. I bought my dad one and even though he hasn't put 1000's of rounds through his it has preformed well along with great accuracy. </div></div>

There are a few good ones out there. One thing you never see is an instructor using one in a carbine class... The company stays afloat by catering to the market of people that just want to have a black gun. its hard to pass up a $600 AR when you are just your average Joe Blow. None of the customers that bought Olympic arms rifles were professionals or competition shooters. Just sayin.

The surprising thing is, Olympic Arms has had this reputation of producing substandard rifles for a LONG time. Since the early 90's, well before the explosion of companies that make AR's when it was them, Colt, Bushmaster and a couple others. I remember buying my first AR back then and asking some guys who at the time were more experienced shooters and it was universal. "Don't buy those they are garbage." It was well established back then. I know they cater to the lower end, budget, average guy market but honestly, with the massive competition now days in the AR market, even at the mid and lower ends, I don't know how they stay in business with an over 20 year reputation of shite.

I guess they must cater to the buyer that considers only price. I don't think many of the shooters that buy those shoot enough volume for these problems to pop up. They'll fire a box or two of ammo at the range a few times a year when they pull it out of the safe and call it good.

It's unfortunate because the pacific northwest area has some great AR manufacturers. Noveske is right in Oregon and we have Mega up here. One of our employees worked at both Mega's aerospace-oriented division and the firearms manufacturing shop. They run a tight ship there and put out a great product.

I did not know they were gunk. The shops I visit don't carry them. Never seen one on the shelf that's why I posted the question. Even though some may be good I am not Rollin the dice.
I guess the people runnin the company are clueless to there lack of quality control. Maybe shot gun news will pull there ads but they need money to.
Just goes to show the need for sites like the hide. You guys saved me from a potential mistake. Thank you to all.

I have an Oly Arms/Dtech .243 WSSM that I haven't had any issues with. The barrel is at ADCO right now getting cut down to 20", threaded, and reprofiled to a light profile. It was a great shooting gun, we'll have to see how it does once it gets back.

I know it's technically not 100% Oly (Shilen barrel & Dtech work), but it's still a good gun needless to say. Just wish more companies would make WSSM upper receivers. For low volume shooters and hunters, this really is a great cartridge platform.

Oly is probably the only Ar anufacure that makes all there own parts. They also make parts for lots of other AR builders. Oly has had some quality control issues in the past, and as we all know with gun guys its hard to forget or move past an Ill word. I have had several Oly AR's and all of them were top notch rifles and very accurate. Oly barrels are Brotch cut and not hammer forged. They are then air gauged and inspected for tight tolorences. Lets face it, there are not to many parts in an AR rifle, and the parts that are in the rifle are not complicated. These parts are all made the same way on the same type of machines no matter it be Oly or Bushmaster or what have you. Hell oly parts are in several of the AR rifles we all claim to be the best there is in production AR's. If you would happen to have an issue with an Oly rifle chances are its a simple fix, hell it has to be as there is nothing comp0licated about how an AR works. Oly still gets a bad rap, yet there are inovaters and one of the founding fathers to the black rifle as we know them. I get tired of seeing it, but no skin off my back. Makes me no difference really. I just hate seeing other folks lead asray. Lee

My first AR was an Oly. It was the worst quality I have seen in an AR. All of the ones I have seen had some type of flaw, broken part, or issue.

I dont know of any other major AR company that uses their parts. That is news to me. They cant even follow their own spec, much less someone elses.

They still have problems with their parts not fitting. I had to drill the holes in an upper last month so it would go on the lower cause they were drilled off far enough the pins would not push in. I have handled quite a few of their guns with the same type of problems. The quality of their barrels in my opinion is great and they shoot very good. If only they could get the rest of their QC up to the standard of the barrels they would have a great product.

I guess their air gauges don't measure the tool marks on the bolt carriers... I will be more than happy to take pictures of them and post them. I no longer work with the company that sells cheap ARs. We only deal with mostly high end ARs such as Daniel Defense, PWS, Sig, BCM, AAC. Even with our "medium" quality ARs such as Smith, Spikes, Colt, Stag, and Rock river I still have not had one come back because of QC.

My oly UMAR in 22-250 shoots .5 with 5 shot group at 100 yards with hand loads. I have never seen such an awesome pdog rifle. Rapid fire red mist is unmatched. I can spot my own shots at 20x and pushing 40 grain NBT at 4000fps is laser flat.

If you are wanting .22-250 performance from an AR-15, have DTECH build you a .223WSSM. It will dust a .22-250 in performance, and they DO feed and function 100%.
Mike DTECH uses Shilen Select barrels on his builds, and now employes his own slick side upper and free float forend as well. Basically, the only part of the DTECH WSSM that is Oly is the bolt assembly, and those parts have been torture tested by Mike personally.
I've never owned a stock OLY, but Mike DTECH's WSSM builds are of the highest quality. Their popularity is not widespread, but a Wizzer upper is a bad-azz option to swap onto any AR-15 lower ya got layin' around...