• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Omega 300 on ar15

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
I am new to suppressors and am looking at getting an Omega 300 and a Warlock 22 on Silencerco’s bogo deal.

The Omega will be shared between a 20” .308 and an 18” ar15 in .223 (Wylde chamber) and the Warlock will be used on a bolt action 22. Use will be hunting and target practice, no competition or severe use.

Any reasons to avoid either of them? How does the Omega do on the ar platform? Is blowback an issue? Any issues with maintaining accuracy?

Any feedback is appreciated.

It will be a little overgassed compared to Surefire or purpose-built AR suppressor, but a majority of blowback can be mitigated by a suppressed bolt carrier and/or adjustable gas block.

I beat the hell out of mine on bolts and gas guns and haven’t had any issues whatsoever.

I've only shot a few mags so far with my Omega on my KAC SR-15, but it's certainly gassy. Definitely some gas coming out of the chamber, some would certainly find it unpleasant. That's also with the 6.5mm end cap mind you.

I believe the Omega is known to be a high back pressure can. Perhaps when used with an adjustable gas block it would be more optimal and pleasant.

That's my limited experience.

I use an Omega 30 on a 224 Valkyrie AR-15 and my 6XC precision bolt rifle. I have been very happy with it. I tuned the Valkyrie with an adjustable gas block, and I would highly recommend using one on any suppressed AR rifle. Accuracy has been good on both rifles.

The only issue I have had with it was I had a weld failure during a match. Blew my bafflestack downrange 100 yards, while the outer sleeve and mount remained on the rifle. Sent it to SilencerCo and they re-cored it and had it back in my hands in under 2 weeks including shipping both ways.

I also have a thunderbeast ultra 7. That can is noticably lighter and smaller than an Omega using the ASR mount. But I think the Omega is more appropriate for use on a semi-auto AR, which is why I use it for that.

Thanks for the replies. I do have an adjustable gas block due to the mistake of going with a mid-length gas system.
I was also planning to go the direct thread route for simplicity. I know I would need a thread adapter or to get my ar re-threaded. Would this be a mistake? I’ve read some bad reviews of the asr system so I was wanting to avoid that and keep the cost down.
Any experience with the Warlock 22? If that’s not worth getting the whole idea is out the window.

Thanks for the replies. I do have an adjustable gas block due to the mistake of going with a mid-length gas system.
I was also planning to go the direct thread route for simplicity. I know I would need a thread adapter or to get my ar re-threaded. Would this be a mistake? I’ve read some bad reviews of the asr system so I was wanting to avoid that and keep the cost down.
Any experience with the Warlock 22? If that’s not worth getting the whole idea is out the window.
I think that everyone that has had ASR problems just doesnt want to admit they fucked it up themselves. As long as you MAKE SURE the lock ring is completely unlocked when screwing the can on, screw it on tight, THEN LOCK THE RING, its fine. Actually its better than fine, I've never had mine come loose. Including when I blew the entire baffle stack downrange. ASR was still locked in place with the outer sleeve. The problem crops up when people screw the ASR onto the muzzle device with the lock ring partially or completely locked. The ring stops rotation and makes them think its tight, when it actually isn't seated.

The downside to direct thread is always wondering if the can has loosened and reaching up to check it.

I think that everyone that has had ASR problems just doesnt want to admit they fucked it up themselves. As long as you MAKE SURE the lock ring is completely unlocked when screwing the can on, screw it on tight, THEN LOCK THE RING, its fine. Actually its better than fine, I've never had mine come loose. Including when I blew the entire baffle stack downrange. ASR was still locked in place with the outer sleeve. The problem crops up when people screw the ASR onto the muzzle device with the lock ring partially or completely locked. The ring stops rotation and makes them think its tight, when it actually isn't seated.

The downside to direct thread is always wondering if the can has loosened and reaching up to check it.

Arguably, a design that can be implemented wrong by the end user, resulting in damage of the product, is a poor design.

I personally avoided the ASR mount for my wife's Omega, for this very reason. I knew that if she was to launch a can downrange once, that would be it for her. I went to the Q Plan B system, to swap between her bolt gun and our ar15's. It's a simple and elegant system - it's certainly not coming loose.

I would recommend to the OP to look at the Q Plan B system - however if you are going to shoot your rifles unsuppressed, make sure the muzzle devices are adequate for your purposes. Rearden MFG also makes Plan B compatible muzzle devices. If that's not your flavor of choice, then there's the Dead Air Keymo system, or Area419's. All have their pro's and cons.

I have run Omega 30 (now 300) since it came out years ago. Excellent can. I do use a high heat thread silicone to prevent lock up of the ASR to the break after long firing strings. No issues on .223 full auto, .308.

This ^^^^

I run 5 of the Omega 300s across bolt guns and 5.56.
Do a lot of demos and such with the Omega's. The ASR system is excellent. I tend to agree that 99% of any issues with the ASR by others were probably user induced.

The Omega 300 plus ASR system has gotten me a lot of rifle business by making my rifles look good during competitive demos against other makers.

./

Your 18" is a mid length?

It's going to be gassy with the omega due to your long dwell length. I'd recommend a Vltor A5 H2 buffer set up as well. Lmt enhanced carrier if you can find one.

I'd actually recommend selling that barrel and getting a rifle length or rifle +1.

Using one with the ASR mount on everything from 26" 6.5 Creedmoor to 16" 308 to 11.5" 5.56 to a 5.5" Rattler. Silly quiet can and lightweight. The mount is fine. 20k+ rounds at this point.

And to the Surefire folks, the RC2 is far louder than the Omega and has A LOT of back pressure in comparison. It's nothing to do with brand and everything to do with bore size and baffle setup. Cans with bores close to the host have more back pressure, and without smart porting and backflows the can will have lots of back pressure. Really recommend checking out PewScience on it. It's super hard to beat a .30" can such as the Omega, Nomad, Sandman, Radiant, 762 RC, etc.

Keep in mind any can on a supersonic AR is still not "hearing safe" due to ejection port pop.

Reactions: kthomas
I run an Omega on an 18" AR with a rifle length gas system. It functioned well with the ammo I had; reloads and some factory stuff. But it was also a little more gassy as mentioned. I do not have an adjustable gas block, or special charging handle or BCG.

I also use the area 419 adapter to swap between my AR and bolt guns.

I've got an Omega 300 in jail, hoping to see it sometime soon.

It's going to serve on a 16" middy 223 wylde AR, a 6.8 spc AR 12.5" middy, and eventually a 308 build rifle length. Using adjustable gas blocks and fancy charging handles to mitigate gas... this will be my first can so it's going to be a learning experience.

I've got an Omega 300 in jail, hoping to see it sometime soon.

It's going to serve on a 16" middy 223 wylde AR, a 6.8 spc AR 12.5" middy, and eventually a 308 build rifle length. Using adjustable gas blocks and fancy charging handles to mitigate gas... this will be my first can so it's going to be a learning experience.

It's a great can, it's versatile and performs very well for its size.

Adjustable gas blocks should help a lot on the ar's.

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ve decided to go for it and am going to fill out the paperwork tonight.
I am going to give the asr system a shot, it seems a bit more practical to switch between thread pitches.
I will see how the blowback is and if the adjustable gas block I have can tame it. If not I’ll figure the best answer from there.

I run mine on a lot of rifles, but my 11” SBR…. Its BAD. Outside, no biggie. But an indoor range it is very unpleasant to run more than 10 rounds. This is with an adjustable gas block and a raptor charging handle.

6 years I have shot this can on various AR’s. The ASR has never failed. Pay attention, ensure it’s locked and you will be fine.

Reactions: AK74U
I run mine on a lot of rifles, but my 11” SBR…. Its BAD. Outside, no biggie. But an indoor range it is very unpleasant to run more than 10 rounds. This is with an adjustable gas block and a raptor charging handle.

6 years I have shot this can on various AR’s. The ASR has never failed. Pay attention, ensure it’s locked and you will be fine.
You might want to provide context to other things you find unpleasant, because 10 rnds of suppressed 11" 5.56 indoors with earpro isn't bad at all.

Ah. I'm not sure why it isn't better, but the raptor didn't cut a lot of gas away. I'd recommend the RTV silicone trick on the charging handle. Cuts back a lot of that gas to the face.

Why doesn't somebody make a charging handle with a vertical deflector that sits proud of the rear if the receiver and wraps around it, deflecting the gasses up instead of back toward the shooter?... basically do what the silicone method does but better.

Why doesn't somebody make a charging handle with a vertical deflector that sits proud of the rear if the receiver and wraps around it, deflecting the gasses up instead of back toward the shooter?... basically do what the silicone method does but better.
There are ones that you can buy that do exactly that but none of them seal as well as the homemade RTV seal. I have tried a few different ones but end up adding the seal on all of them

When I run an omega or kac on a number of my rifles, omega does a better job of not spitting gas into my face.

Omega isn't a low back pressure can.
1638442184419.png

From- https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-41-oss-hx-qd-762-savage-308

id get a dedicated low back pressure can and a tbac ultra 7 if starting from scratch.

More back pressure data-

1638442654706.png

I bought my Omega new in its debut year 2015. Been mostly on my FNH SCAR 17S an a AR-15. Haven't had ANY issues.

I wanted to get in on Silencerco‘s bogo deal, that’s why I got the Omega (I did the paperwork last weekend). A dedicated can for my AR is not feasible for me right now. I need something that will work on multiple platforms and the Omega seems like a good compromise. Maybe in the future I will look at one.

Thank you everyone for the information and helping me to spend my money😁

You're exactly right- acceptable level of back pressure is very subjective - weapon and personal preference.

On a gas gun, my goals are to wear one single level of earpro and cut down on gas as much as possible as well as minimize the suppressed / unsuppressed delta.

Others have totally different goals and that's okay and good for the market 😊

Good choice OP, and welcome to the club!

Last edited:
I wanted to get in on Silencerco‘s bogo deal, that’s why I got the Omega (I did the paperwork last weekend). A dedicated can for my AR is not feasible for me right now. I need something that will work on multiple platforms and the Omega seems like a good compromise. Maybe in the future I will look at one.

Thank you everyone for the information and helping me to spend my money😁
Omega is a great can, I shoot two of them myself on my match rifles and ars. You’re gonna love it, suppressed is a game changer.

I have a question, does anyone know if someone will make a directional break for the omega to mitigate recoil. Something that replaces the anchor brake on the 300?