• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Omega at high altitude

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
So was at 11,100 feet shooting my 300 win mag with the omega attached. It was MUCH louder than at my home elevation of 975 feet. Almost didn’t sound suppressed. I was shooting in a canyon about 1 mile across so that be part of it but suspect it may the significant decrease in air pressure. Any thoughts??

Was there any kind of large object in front of the suppressor that could reflect sound back at you? This makes the shot WAY louder. To test this, shoot at a dirt berm from 100 yards and then shoot at it from 10 ft. If there was a large tree trunk or something similar more or less in front of the muzzle it could cause a lot of sound to reflect back. Just one possibillity out of many.

Reactions: drew_235
At 11,000 ft the air is 33% less dense (same temp, humidity not withstanding) I would think less dense air would transmit sound worse, not better. (No air in space = no sound). Less air molecules and the space between them is greater.