• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On Barrel Cleaning - back to the old school stuff

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Some time back I mentioned that after trying all these new fangled barrel cleaning products I concluded they didn't work very well at all. You can go back and look at that post but I'm having a hell of a time finding it myself. I'll keep looking for it and post it here when I find it.

So, I went back to the old stuff, and my old process. Guess what? That old stuff works, and a lot better than the new stuff based on my borescope.

I went back to brass brushes, and Hoppe's #9. That's right. They starting making that stuff in 1903, I think...

Now I have a picture to show you. Last time I went to the range I shot 60 rounds of 6mm centerfire. I had run out of the Hoppe's #9 so I ordered some and had to wait 6-days to get it. So the gun sat dirty for a week.

I do have the luxury of having a vise with silicone barrel jaws so I can leave the rifle in there as long as I want. That said, the process only takes an overnight - 12 hours. The image below is ALL the patches I used. I capture them just by pulling back on the rod and they fall on one of them plastic drawer things that I also use for storage.

The cleaning regimen:

1) Run a couple of patches to remove all the loose carbon stuff.
2) Next I run a #9 soaked bronze benchrest brush - 15 strokes (30 passes through the barrel) have a drink while that sits for an hour. Then, run patches soaked in #9 until reasonably clean.
3) Repeat #2.
4) Let that soak overnight.
5) Next morning I run #2 again.
6) An hour later I do #2 again until wet clean. By this time, all the stuff on the patches is all copper (blue/green).
7) Then I run dry patches until they come out dry.

Done.

When you look at the image all the carbon gets taken out first (it's all below the rest of the patches). Then the last wet patches are all copper and finally the dry patches on top perfectly clean.

No more different chemicals, No more expensive cleaning crap that doesn't work. The old stuff still works the best. It's cheaper and it's only one bottle.

i-8jWcDdt-M.jpg

Entirely too long.

Boretech C4, good jag with patch or VFG pellet with adapter.
Nylon brush.
Repeat above.

Done.

For anything heavy, soak barrel in C4, jag/VFG... Done.

A borescope concludes, for me, this is extremely effective.

Entirely too long.

Boretech C4, good jag with patch or VFG pellet with adapter.
Nylon brush.
Repeat above.

Done.

For anything heavy, soak barrel in C4, jag/VFG... Done.

A borescope concludes, for me, this is extremely effective.
Boretech doesn't work want to by my slight used bottles. Yes one for carbon, one for copper. Right. Coolaid stuff.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
The only thing i have really changed over the years is better lubricants.
Still use Hoppes #9, Hoppes bore gel, Sweets 7.62 sparingly when needed and am still using the jar of JB paste i bought about 18 years ago.
The main thing i really need to change is some of my jags to the aluminum stuff Dewey makes, been wanting to try those.

Reactions: JAS-SH
Boretech doesn't work want to by my slight used bottles. Yes one for carbon, one for copper. Right. Coolaid stuff.
They actually make an all-in-one cleaner which I've just tried. I think the separate bottles work a bit better but cleaning my Sig barrel with the one bottle "eliminator" it came out spotless in half an hour. Didn't do as good a job on another barrel with a higher round count though but running it through again worked. The fact that both are non-toxic, biodegradable is also a plus.

Am I understanding correctly youre doing #2 four times total (120 passes)? If thats the case. I’m not sure the solvent choice really matters after that much scrubbing and soaking.

All in all, an incredible amount of work to clean just 60 rounds worth of fouling. Hopefully there were a couple hundred rounds fired on previous occasions, prior to the 60?

One patch soaked in Hoppes.
5 or so passes. Let sit 10-15 minutes.
Nylon brush 5 passes
5 dry patches with 5ish passes each.

Boretech copper cleaner if needed. (Rarely)

But I’m one of the guys that cleans after every 100ish rounds.

I don’t have a bore scope but groups are saying it works for me

Am I understanding correctly youre doing #2 four times total (120 passes)? If thats the case. I’m not sure the solvent choice really matters after that much scrubbing and soaking.

All in all, an incredible amount of work to clean just 60 rounds worth of fouling. Hopefully there were a couple hundred rounds fired on previous occasions, prior to the 60?
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific but I wanted to keep the post as short as possible. I refer the the numbers like (#2) as a process. In reality the four #2s had different stroke count as follows (15,10,5,5) but the same process. My apologies for the confusion.

Total time actually cleaning the whole rifle is about 45-minutes, using 25-30 patches and 35 strokes.

In my humble opinion, the best way to get copper out is with an overnight soak. I work hard on the barrel at first to get all the possible carbon out. That's why in the last two processes there is no carbon on the patches, just copper. A number of top benchrest and F-class shooters use wipe-out patch-out for soaking.

I went back to brass brushes, and Hoppe's #9. That's right. They starting making that stuff in 1903, I think...

No more different chemicals, No more expensive cleaning crap that doesn't work. The old stuff still works the best. It's cheaper and it's only one bottle.
they changed the hopes recipe a few years back….. it’s no longer “the old stuff”

Reactions: howler