• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On Barrel Cleaning with Erik Cortina - ROFLMAO!

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Funniest comment I've heard about barrel cleaning - ever!

Erik was interviewing Chase Stroud (big ELR guy) on a podcast, a really informative one where they actually go into ELR with .22 rimfire. And they briefly diverged into barrel cleaning. They both clean to bare metal every time.

Erik made a short comment for the ages! I posted the video ~20-seconds before his short statement. Erik said, and to paraphrase: "....Treat them like your ASS. If you use it clean it!" :ROFLMAO:.

The part at the end is about rimfire loved that part 'cause I'm in the process of building one, and all of it is good for that matter. it was quite interesting, as ELR has implications to all shooting. Tip of the sword tech when it comes to shooting. I actually enjoyed the whole podcast.

Here's the video - queued to Erik's comment:

I'm assuming the same rules about metallic brushes and abrasive cleaning compounds apply to both as well. So many similarities I'd just never previously considered.

He will also go thru a LOT of barrels and if he doesn’t like how one shoots, it becomes a tomato stake and he queues up the next one, ad nauseam. How many here are willing to do that.

I still stick w @Frank Green and his advice.

How the fuck did you listen to him ramble for 48 minutes to get to that part? I clicked on the video and was done in less than 10 seconds from that point. I don’t get podcasts.
ADHD can sometimes be a problem.

First off there are different ways to use your ass. Mine is one directional and using it is timed strategically. There will be a shower shortly after use. It's common sense.

But sometimes field conditions require wiping only.

I can see the thinking of these guys.

With what they do it is always good to start from the same baseline and the best determination of that is bare metal.

As mentioned they get the slightest inclination a barrel is changing outside the window of performance they require it becomes trash.

Me and my use, I see no need to clean more than necessary to keep practical accuracy and prevent corrosion.

They wipe their asses in preparation of a shit in order to ensure they don't change the nature of the new shit.

Me, the old shit sort of prepares the new shit and gives me an average standard of accuracy rather than an absolute standard of accuracy.

What are your goals?

Wow, we actually agree on something...I can't stand Cortina or Alex Wheeler...
What's wrong with Alex Wheeler? He did some amazing things with my 700. I've never heard him speak other than over the phone and on the videos on his site.

What's wrong with Alex Wheeler? He did some amazing things with my 700. I've never heard him speak other than over the phone and on the videos on his site.
Personal reasons. I used to tie up with him and Cortina over in LRH over their opinions, and not facts, and claiming my opinions were wrong. They both have an attitude that everything they do or says is absolute fact and the only right way to do something, when it’s merely their opinion or personal preference, and anyone who says something different is wrong. I don’t like egomaniacs.

Personal reasons. I used to tie up with him and Cortina over in LRH over their opinions, and not facts, and claiming my opinions were wrong. They both have an attitude that everything they do or says is absolute fact and the only right way to do something, when it’s merely their opinion or personal preference, and anyone who says something different is wrong. I don’t like egomaniacs.
Agreed. Obviously neither one knows how to clean/maintain a rimfire barrel. While I think they've got it mostly right for centerfire they don't get rimfire.

Reactions: FuhQ

He's a great gunsmith.

Strong online personality, so I could see how FuhQ would class with those two :ROFLMAO:. 3 strong and stubborn online persona's there...

• Haha
Reactions: lash and TheOE800
Having experienced you on LRH that is ironic as all hell

nit sure how that ties to my comment but yep i am aware
It was actually in defense of your comment which I thought was open minded with regards of the original post, which was meant to just be funny. I watched that podcast too. Meaning, Frank and Erik have different opinions on a number of things but it's all good. I agree with Frank on quite s lot of what he supports, but then Erik comes out and wins the SWN, with his way of doing things...

I like discussions and the less close mindedness the better. It sparks progress...

Reactions: lash and BigPrince
It was actually in defense of your comment which I thought was open minded with regards of the original post, which was meant to just be funny. I watched that podcast too. Meaning, Frank and Erik have different opinions on a number of things but it's all good. I agree with Frank on quite s lot of what he supports, but then Erik comes out and wins the SWN, with his way of doing things...

I like discussions and the less close mindedness the better. It sparks progress...

Just goes to show that there is many ways to do things.

There's no real good way of measuring how good your barrel cleaning process is. It either "works" or it doesn't.

And I don't think EC winning an F-class match is a measure of how good his barrel cleaning process is, IMHO.

He will also go thru a LOT of barrels and if he doesn’t like how one shoots, it becomes a tomato stake and he queues up the next one, ad nauseam. How many here are willing to do that.

I still stick w @Frank Green and his advice.
He goes through a lot of barrels because his sponsor supplies them. I won't argue about the combination of shooter and gun but I stopped after the third or fourth video. To listen to him just buy Lapua and Berger, change your Brux barrel if your groups aren't a quarter inch after playing with seating depth.

Reactions: lash
I am trying to do that cleaning it after every shooting , but it's a bit much between shooting driving home from the range cooking dinner cleaning and thinking about soaking a barrel just to start over the next day so I have chosen to clean after my range trips for the week say 3 or 4 days of shooting then after the weekend say one Monday cleaning so I have at least a few days to clean it well and nothing is rushed .

He's a great gunsmith.

Strong online personality, so I could see how FuhQ would class with those two :ROFLMAO:. 3 strong and stubborn online persona's there...
That's a guy who knows nothing arguing with a guy who builds rifles that end up on podiums and a guy who is on podiums... Alex is a great gunsmith and a great guy to work with. Last barrel he did for me he had shipped before my check to him had even been deposited.

That's a guy who knows nothing arguing with a guy who builds rifles that end up on podiums and a guy who is on podiums... Alex is a great gunsmith and a great guy to work with. Last barrel he did for me he had shipped before my check to him had even been deposited.
I know nothing? HAHAHAHA!!! Keep thinking that. 😏

Some of you guys sound like the douche bags that run Long Range Only...
Different opinions are good, feelings don't make things facts

Reactions: FuhQ and Gohring65
Dogging Eric, Chase and Alex in this shit show.
This fuckin place cracks me up!
The standards are just too high here for guys like them.
I must be in the presence of rifle gods.

Alex is a wealth of knowledge. Erik's shit gets old. His opinion is no more relevant than any other competitive shooter, probably less so when you start looking at who's actually winning. He get's repeated because he's outspoken and that seems to resonate with some people. Cleaning a barrel isn't actually a mystery, why would his opinion have any more weight than a long list of other people?

Alex is a wealth of knowledge. Erik's shit gets old. His opinion is no more relevant than any other competitive shooter, probably less so when you start looking at who's actually winning. He get's repeated because he's outspoken and that seems to resonate with some people. Cleaning a barrel isn't actually a mystery, why would his opinion have any more weight than a long list of other people?
It really doesn’t, but in the same context. Why should his opinion get dismissed?
He’s won several matches, I would bet more than most on this forum. Why can’t he talk about whatever the fuck he wants to on his podcast? Then having Chase on further verifies his methods. If he has Paul Phillips on or Bryan or Mitch, I bet they share his and Chase’s views on cleaning, I suppose they’re full of shit too. It really does blows me away conceited shallowness of this forum anymore.

It really doesn’t, but in the same context. Why should his opinion get dismissed?
He’s won several matches, I would bet more than most on this forum. Why can’t he talk about whatever the fuck he wants to on his podcast? Then having Chase on further verifies his methods. If he has Paul Phillips on or Bryan or Mitch, I bet they share his and Chase’s views on cleaning, I suppose they’re full of shit too. It really does blows me away conceited shallowness of this forum anymore.
🤣
He literally just agreed with you that differing opinions are a good thing, though his is different than yours. So you go on a rant and spout a bunch of maybes, what ifs and other nonsense while projecting. Thanks for playing.

If you do not believe that there’s room for other opinions in this sport and that only the words of a few chosen outspoken “masters” are gold, then perhaps you should be asking yourself who the shallow one is. 😉

🤣
He literally just agreed with you that differing opinions are a good thing, though his is different than yours. So you go on a rant and spout a bunch of maybes, what ifs and other nonsense while projecting. Thanks for playing.

If you do not believe that there’s room for other opinions in this sport and that only the words of a few chosen outspoken “masters” are gold, then perhaps you should be asking yourself who the shallow one is. 😉
I believe you’re right, I was driving when I read it. Definitely misread it, but I stand by opinion though.
Shallow runs deep here.
Room for other opinions but Eric’s and Chase though right?

🤣

I love how I’m harassed and not allowed to have my own personal opinion about people I personally interacted with for years, by people, who mostly have never interacted with any of them for 1 second of their whole lives.

I never voiced a character assessment of them, I never said they were bad people, and I never said they weren’t good at what they do. I simply said their opinions on some things differed from mine, and we would get into heated discussions about it, with no clear winner, because we each had our own method… Yet, I get crucified for it, while you all make assumptions about me, and judge my character, despite not knowing me, either. 🤔

The irony of this whole thing, is that this is me having a different opinion of these people than y’all. But somehow, your opinion, is to shutdown my opinion, because you don’t agree with it, while simultaneously claiming that people should be allowed to have different opinions…

You can’t make this shit up… Herd-mentality full of hypocrites.

I love how I’m harassed and not allowed to have my own personal opinion about people I personally interacted with for years, by people, who mostly have never interacted with any of them for 1 second of their whole lives.

I never voiced a character assessment of them, I never said they were bad people, and I never said they weren’t good at what they do. I simply said their opinions on some things differed from mine, and we would get into heated discussions about it, with no clear winner, because we each had our own method… Yet, I get crucified for it, while you all make assumptions about me, and judge my character, despite not knowing me, either. 🤔

The irony of this whole thing, is that this is me having a different opinion of these people than y’all. But somehow, your opinion, is to shutdown my opinion, because you don’t agree with it, while simultaneously claiming that people should be allowed to have different opinions…

Holy shit! Drama queen much? "Crucified" LOL!

Ignore them, post your opinions. FuhQ 'em.

I dont want to get into a heated discussion with you Muddrunner, I feel you’re singled out enough by people on here, but there’s only two people on that list here that I don’t have in my DMs and text messages. And we talk regularly.
I’m not kidding when I say the real discussion takes place in my DMs. Not here anymore. The conversation could be, what I need to look for when making a 2000 yard shot with a 338 lapua, or what I think is a good chainsaw to get for specific purposes.
Adult conversations between professionals in the respective fields.
Real conversations, not one sided hyperbole with keyboard warriors who can’t get their SD below 30 but will claim they are at the top of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speed and FuhQ
Holy shit! Drama queen much? "Crucified" LOL!

Ignore them, post your opinions. FuhQ 'em.
Not necessarily just on this thread, it’s been ongoing since the plandemic when components got scarce, and people started accusing me of being “a poor” because I refused to pay $175 for a 500rd brick of CCI .22LR… Then ammonium nitrate got thrown on the fire when I started the first Arken thread that went so badly from immature snobs accusing me of “shilling”, that I ended up deleting the whole damn thing. And it’s been downhill from there. You haven’t dealt with these cocksuckers like I have. I’ve had grown men go out of their way to send me a DM talking shit after I left a thread. That’s weak and pathetic.

Reactions: lash and Gohring65
Do what the short and long range benchrest record holders do.

I'm not an F class shooter by any definition of that, but I do really like Keith Glasscock's "Winning in the Wind" YT channel. I find his vids to be mostly single topic specific, reasonable in length and to the point, and he clearly uses the scientific method with objective data to derive the conclusions that he shares.

And apparently, as runner up in the F Open Nationals three years in a row, he seems to know a thing or two.

Cheers

^Flailing like a tard.

^ Doesn’t know how to shut his cockholster.

You get the attention you seek. Like most discussions, you insert yourself as the subject and then complain when it inevitably takes a negative turn. I may have my differences with Erik Cortina but he's as legitimate as most of the top 50 finishers in F-Class. You're a full fledged retard, on the other hand. The internet would be better off without you.

You get the attention you seek. Like most discussions, you insert yourself as the subject and then complain when it inevitably takes a negative turn. I may have my differences with Erik Cortina but he's as legitimate as most of the top 50 finishers in F-Class. You're a full fledged retard, on the other hand. The internet would be better off without you.
I made a statement, and like always, the nut-swingers got pissy and misconstrued it, even though I just said I couldn’t stand him for personal reasons, and they all decided to jump on his dick and try to ride it.

As for your opinion of me, I love how you don’t know what you don’t know, yet you think you have me all figured out. 😂

As for the internet being better off without me, hell, the internet has become a circus…We’re ALL just a bunch of clowns in it…Including you. Get used to it.