• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ?? on Base Mounting, 8-40 screws really needed?

Ltdshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2007
Michigan
OK I've had opinions from a few friends one way or the other but when mounting a large optic is it really necessary to go to 8-40 screws when you have a good base like the Badger with the recoil lug? I'm thinking not but would like to hear from those that have more experience than me. Thanks!

Re: ?? on Base Mounting, 8-40 screws really needed?

I think it depends on what caliber rifle you are shooting. I have my parts at GAP right now for a full build. I have the badger rail with the 8-40 screws being installed. I did it because it is a Remington 700 receiver & sometimes the scope rail screw holes aren't drilled straight & you will end up with windage issues. When GAP drills the new ones I know they will be straight. I think they are charging me $10 bucks a hole. (please don't quote me). For $40 bucks I get straight holes & stronger screws holding the rail.

Some basic info would be helpful.
Rifle?
Caliber?
Brake or suppressor?
Specific scope?
Use?

More than likely, the #6 will do you OK, unless the original hole alignment is off. Then to correct the problem, have a competent gunsmith or machinist, mill (not drill) new holes to 8-40.

If a new build like Red Belly ^, have it done if you want to or needed. If you are changing out bases on an existing rifle, go with the existing #6 - then correct if required.

Kevin

There should be no need for it. The purpose of the screws is to provide a clamping force thru tension to the base, the base being pulled down against the action creates friction between the two objects, this friction is what holds the base in place, one of the reasons people bed their base is to insure 100% contact, which optimizes the friction. The sides of the screw heads and shanks need not contact the base for it to remain in place. A recoil lug is essentially a backup plan. The larger screws allow for an increase in torque which will increase the friction between base and action which is probably not required.