• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On of the best gunsmiths in history

lockedandloaded

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2004
NY
Just came across this from my collection, and wanted to share. Known worldwide, one of the most accomplished gunsmith & benchrest shooters in history, Seely Masker. He spent his final years in a nearbye town in upstate NY. I used to call him for info and advice after he moved here. It was always pleasurable talking to the old soul. I never commissioned any rifles from him. But he recommended many other smiths who were specialized in whatever it was I was building at the time. He passed on in 1996 at 83 years old. His builds command top dollar when they rarely come up for sale.

20231105_123343.jpg
20231105_123417.jpg

was a big PO ackley fan & a fan of leighton baker in FL-one of his "disciples" back in the early 70s. had 2 older guys then in FL that were masters with wood stocks. LOL finding anyone like that today. i am now gunsmithless. both the ones i have used last 40 yr have retired. anybody have a exc smith referral in no.cent. FL?

Central NY and Pennsylvania has always been an area with many precision minded smiths. I had to look up where Ackley lived, and it was upstate NY.

Reactions: Jigstick
was a big PO ackley fan & a fan of leighton baker in FL-one of his "disciples" back in the early 70s. had 2 older guys then in FL that were masters with wood stocks. LOL finding anyone like that today. i am now gunsmithless. both the ones i have used last 40 yr have retired. anybody have a exc smith referral in no.cent. FL?

Isn't Alex Wheeler a bit east of you?

Screenshot_20231105_153718_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
He flies kinda under the radar, but check out Kevin Cram @ Montour County Rifles. Nothing but Precision and done well..

I have a 220 swift on a Stolle action done by him. I was excited as all hell to see his name engraved on the barrel. Sadly the only gun guy I knew who knew his had passed away.
Glad to see he’s not forgotten. Still have yet to shoot that rifle. Owned it for 7-8 years

Reactions: lockedandloaded
I never owned one of Clay's rifles but met him a couple times. Hard to beat 1/4 moa guarantee. He even make hos own bullets. Not many of these guys left around.

I never owned one of Clay's rifles but met him a couple times. Hard to beat 1/4 moa guarantee. He even make hos own bullets. Not many of these guys left around.

Been to the shoot many times. Harold is a friend that lives about 15 miles from me. Clay's stuff is always accurate and nice....some like Harolds 6BR were just exceptional and consistent. Clay Spencer, one hell of a character too. You'd be amazed....or maybe not....how many great shooters haunt the cow pastures and fields in the rural south. and gather most Sundays to sling lead. Favotites around were Tooley, Spencer and Roscoe. Roscoe has retired i think.

Reactions: Maggot
Been to the shoot many times. Harold is a friend that lives about 15 miles from me. Clay's stuff is always accurate and nice....some like Harolds 6BR were just exceptional and consistent. Clay Spencer, one hell of a character too. You'd be amazed....or maybe not....how many great shooters haunt the cow pastures and fields in the rural south. and gather most Sundays to sling lead.
I lived about 15 miles from his shop. Looked into a custom build but realized that for 1./3 the price I could get a rifle that could out shoot me. Not much into BR but 1/.4moa is nice.

I dodnt know if he actually make his own bullets of just trued already good ones.

Right Maggot. I don't care for BR but as folks interested in long range accuracy we all hung out together. Just a bunch of country fellas with great shooting rifles.

Reactions: Maggot