• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On our way to the moon.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm glad to see this though I suspect much of the push is because of the Chinese space station. Did'nt see the Russians involved either, looks like space X and Boeing will be making the big engines.

Seems though, we need to find a better way of getting off the planet than huge thrust rockets. I vote for teleporters. At least if it fucked up you'd just dissolve, no big painful death experience. Beam me the fuck up. and out of here.

1. www.engadget.com › nasa-artemis-program-explainedEverything NASA is taking to the moon before colonizing Mars

Dec 15, 2022 · In 2019, then-Vice President Mike Pence announced that the program’s goals were accelerating, the moon landing goal pushed up four years to 2024 though its original goal of Mars in the 2030s...
      • Video Duration: 11 min
      • Author: Andrew Tarantola

I wonder what kind of muzzle velocity we can get on the moon? Or would velocity be the same as on earth, the bullet would just retain that velocity for a waaaay longer time?

Reactions: Maggot
    I wonder what kind of muzzle velocity we can get on the moon? Or would velocity be the same as on earth, the bullet would just retain that velocity for a waaaay longer time?
    Drop would be affected as well. 10 mile shots could happen.

Too many variables.
    Not enough oxygen to feed the fire.
    Less air pressure would affect both velocity and *possibly* structural integrity of the chamber.
    Trajectory could possibly be flat ? (gravity and air pressure deviance's)
    But.....would the rifle even fire w/o any oxygen ? I'm thinking it would but with very inconsistent ignition of the powder.
    The very small amount of oxygen in the cartridge case would initiate a poor combustion....but at what rate does it leak out ?

Holy fuck that is a honestly real head scratcher with so many variables.
    Fuck you for even bringing it up :)

Does the moon have enough gravity to hold a bullet? No atmosphere so no drag...... If you shot the horizon would you shoot yourself in the back? If you shot at the earth or another planet would you hit it?

Too many variables.
    Less air pressure would affect both velocity and *possibly* structural integrity of the chamber.
    But.....would the rifle even fire w/o any oxygen ? I'm thinking it would but with very inconsistent ignition of the powder.
    The very small amount of oxygen in the cartridge case would initiate a poor combustion....but at what rate does it leak out ?

Powder will burn just fine in the absence of oxygen as it already contains an oxidizer and fuel.

How do you think the rockets work?

Reactions: Maggot and Rthur
    Only if MOA is used

Minute Of America.

1671158965590.png

The real variable is temp. Very cold unless exposed to direct sun…..then could be very hot. Interesting discussion though.

What caliber do you guys think is best for a two time zone shot?

Does the moon have enough gravity to hold a bullet? No atmosphere so no drag...... If you shot the horizon would you shoot yourself in the back? If you shot at the earth or another planet would you hit it?
    We'll let @Haney take the first shot.

How do you think the rockets work?
    A large tank of either liquid hydrogen or RP-1 and another large tank of liquid oxygen ?
    They specifically carry a tank of oxidizer......because there is no oxygen on the moon ?

If you need more detail ask Werner Vaughn Braun.
    Or is it Von ???

Too many variables.

You realize it's super easy to test right? Just need to shoot a gun in a vacuum!

Smokeless powder is more chemical reaction than burn. Where would the oxygen come from anyways? The bullet is sealed to the barrel, and it's all expanding gases from the powder "burn" pushing on it. So all you're left with on earth is the air space in the case.

And as someone who has some retumbo loads that crunch under the bullet, I can confirm they do not need air in the case.

what wonderful place to drop off the government and it's flunkies . out of sight out of mind .

Mostly its been covered. Current gun powder will do the job, will still go boom.

As for chamber pressure... Ready for this one.. less.

Muzzle velo, potentially less, id have to verify, but brain maths is saying increase, from memory like... 17% or something ?

The biggest concern with a gun on the moon is..... Shooting yourself. Bullet to the back of the head.

Ill step thru this quickly. Chamber pressure less. Drive a car while raining.. into a puddle. Car pulls to one side. You hwve increase of drag. If there is less atmosphere infront of the projectile, in the barrel, it doesnt have to push as hard to drive out of the barrel. Know how a suppressor increases muzzle velo slightly ? Same prinicple.

Faster velo. Same concept. It can accel easier down the barrel, and as a result, the gunpowder doesnt have as much back pressure, so the increase of velo doesnt make the powder efficent. Id honestly expect a huge ass fireball.

Moon is smaller diameter. As a result, gravity is less. As such, bullet drop is WAAY LESS. Circumference of the moon is like... 11,000 km ?? Real tiny. Less than 20%. So the dope for shooting at 1mile.. lets say is 25mil, for a 6.5cm. its 20% of that. 5mil.. you only need 5mil of dial to hit a mile. Thats not counting on extra velo.

Gravity is LESS the higher you go. So if you dialled 25mil, which is like dialling 125mil.

Get someone smarter than me to do the math, but im gonna suggest less than that is required to "self head shot". Not gonna run the maths, because its friday and im heading out for dinner, but 2 things to remember.. go high enough and you can out it into low orbit, and it will satellite the moon 200 times before it it hit rock, and velo does NOT wash off like it does on earth. It would stay hyper sonic almost the entire time.

Wheres one of the applied ballistics guys.. someone tag em in. They NEED to make an april fools app/update/something where they use moon gravity (like 1.6m/s^2 ?) And change atmosphere to.. 0.01% ?? I dont know the height of the atmo on the moon, i never learnt that.

Also, a 22lr self head shot would take.... 9 to 9.5 hours.. depending on where you shot from. Shooting north/south would probably NOT work, but east/west would (along equator.

Not gonna get into the physics of why.. dinner time !!