• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On Remington 700 Long Range, 30-06

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    I picked up my 30-06 model # 84166 today from my LGS.

I thought I would post up a pic and one of its first 10 shots using standard Winchester super-x 150 grain power points... since I don’t have any dies or brass yet for it. I forgot about a mounting system while I was shopping, so I scrounged around and cobbled together the Warne PA rings and some uber cheap bases I bought about 20 years ago...

The rifle
    30-06002.jpg

The first five then a scope adjustment for the final five.
    30-06001.jpg

The final group of five if measured CTC is .97

I used my 308 redding neck bushing die to size down as much of the neck as it would let me and reloaded 208’s using H4831sc in the 10 spent brass casings. We will see how they perform tomorrow.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DRAGON64
    I took the 208's out a couple times with H4831sc in the winchester cases with mag primers. There appears to be a OCW around 57.5 as well as 58.5-59... no pressure signs were felt on bolt lift and primer corners were round 59.5 had just a tiny bit of shine were the ejector rides but no imprint so I suspect thats getting very close to my max charge with this combo.

On the second trip out with 57.5 and 58.7, this time checking velocity, the two at 57.5 were 2510 and 2516 and the other two at 58.7 were 2540 and 2616.

Last edited:
    A Trigger Job or better Trigger will definitely shrink down that group a bit. Otherwise I wouldn't change too much on that rifle for Hunting. Congrats on the New Stick!

P.S. Can you let us know how much it weights in it's current setup???

I wonder if there are any Hodgdon powders that would get that 208 to 2650fps, or if RL22 is the only option...

Thanks.

I'll get back with you on weight.

The trigger is usually the first thing I replace but this one its surprisingly good so I will leave it be for now.

I bought the ammo for the brass since I can’t find any Winchester brass right now. I took some ammo down and the powder charges varied as much as a full grain, the soft point bullets were with in .5 of a grain and the brass was typical winchester (around 3 grains) but for the average deer hunter it would be good enough...

At what distance was you target places?

100 yards with the cheapest ammo I could find with Winchester cases.
    [MENTION=47204]BoilerUP[/MENTION] RL22 may be it, I dont have any but will try it once I find some. I plan to try some H4350 but I dont see that going any faster since it burns quicker.

That's not a bad price, from the looks this will be a solid shooter. This would be a fun project rifle to work with and I've always been a fan of the 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really pretty good considering the ammo was 150gr Power Point. I believe your rifle has a lot of potential when you start feeding it match grade bullets.

I am curious what it will do with some Nosler ablr 190's at .640 bc or the 210 with .730 Sound like it will be fun working up loads this summer

Nice stick and thanks for the report, I'm fighting the urge of buying one of these.

Nice gun,
    I bet those groups get better once you reload! Imo the stock fits "me" better then the sendero stock. Love the raised cheek hold also! I bought this long range model in 7 REM mag. I have all reloading components except a modified case. I ordered the new Pst 6-24-50 moa 2C expected soon.

Nobody has a modified case in stock!! Really holding my process up.

As shown mine weighed 11lbs even. I've since added a cheek piece and harris bipod.

I've only put 25 rounds of break-in ammo through it, but I can tell it's going to be a shooter. On a whim I used tried the Tubb final finish fire lapping bullets and then ran some dyna-tek bore coating.

I've got some rounds loaded up for testing, just haven't had the time yet.

Niles, if you're in need of brass, I might be able to spare some once fired 30-06.

Attachments

• DSC_0740_01_zps8297c309.jpg
      DSC_0740_01_zps8297c309.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 77
    I wonder if there are any Hodgdon powders that would get that 208 to 2650fps, or if RL22 is the only option...

I've been playing with 4000-MR. 60.0gr under a moly'd 208 AMax gives 2703 fps from my heavy 22.5". Measured with a Magnetospeed.

Also RL17, 55.0gr RL17 under a moly'd 208 AMax gives me 2720 fps from the same 22.5" bbl.

I'd guess a 26" bbl would add an additional 60-80 fps.

Niles, if you're in need of brass, I might be able to spare some once fired 30-06.

Thanks for that offer! I bought enough super-x to hold me for a while.

I pulled the bullets and loaded up some "mexican match" using my 308 bushing die to squeeze the neck back down and my 308 seating die to seat some 155 scenars and 168 A-max (reduced the chage a little on the 168). I dont expect steller accuracy doing it this way but I will report back if it works out well.

I've been playing with 4000-MR. 60.0gr under a moly'd 208 AMax gives 2703 fps from my heavy 22.5". Measured with a Magnetospeed.

Also RL17, 55.0gr RL17 under a moly'd 208 AMax gives me 2720 fps from the same 22.5" bbl.

I'd guess a 26" bbl would add an additional 60-80 fps.

I recall you using RL-22 quite a bit, did you happen to track its velocity at different temps in the 30-06 with 190-208 grain bullets.

I use magnum primers when I use RL22, I tried regular primers but the groups opened up too much for my liking. Now with H4350 I use regular primers and the rifle shoots bug holes with those.

Four and a half hours, four gunshops and 150+ miles later I have some RL-22, hornady modified 30-06 case (for oal measurements) and a bunch of stuff I didn’t need, like 100 7.62x39 SP cartridges, 100 plated .312 dia bullets (for more frustration in my attempt to get a AK to shoot under 4 inches at 100y) and a 30 cal bore brush (for case neck cleaning)... makes for probably the most expensive 3 pounds of powder I have purchased, LOL

I posted in the 30-06 thread about this very gun. For whatever reason, this thing is calling my name. I am glad to see this gun shooting so great for you Niles!

I guess I am about to start the hunt for one, and give it a go. I live in Tx., so I want it to punch paper, deer, pigs, and long range varmints. I've got to get reloading.

Thanks for all the great info on this guys.

Okay gents, I took some OAL measurements and this is what I got with what I have on hand...

230 Berger target hybrid 3.604"

208 Hornady A-Max= 3.564"

208 Hornady BTHP= 3.473"

190 Berger VLD= 3.487"

185 Berger Classic Hunter hybrid= 3.425"

So as you can see the freebore is long but the lands are reachable with 208's with enough bullet remaining in the neck to feel comfortable...

The internal mag can hold up to a 3.67ish cartridge

Last edited:
    Those numbers don't sound bad.

That long magazine is a real plus in the Rem 700 long action. Gives great latitude in OAL.

Heck you could get into the 215/230gr Bergers and still not have to rob powder volume from the case.

I went out and tested RL-22 for velocity with some surprising results.

Again I am using unfired/new Winchester brass, CCI mag primer and 208 A-Max. I set the bullet right near the neck shoulder junction, jumping ~.1" to the lands. I am using a magnetospeed to record velocity.

58 grains = 2780, 2745, 2757 which adv 2760 with a SD of 17.
    This was a lot faster than I was expecting but I had no heavy bolt lift, primers had nice round corners and no marks on the case head stamp area.

59 grains = 2797, 2793, 2788 which adv 2792 with a sd of 4
    Again I had no heavy bolt lift, primers had nice round corners and no ejector marks on the case head stamp area but one did appear to have just a little polish to it.

60 grains = 2837, 2840, 2820 which adv 2832 with a sd of 10
    I had no heavy bolt lift, primers had nice round corners and no heavy ejector marks on the case head stamp area but two had a little polish to them.

I then took my magnetospeed off and tried out loads of 58, 58.5 and 59 on fired brass for groups of four. As with the magnetospeed 58g was ~1.2, 58.5 was ~1.1 and 59 was a little under 1.1 and shooting doubles (two holes touching with a space and two more touching).

I was inspecting my brass while doing this and after reaching 59g I noticed each case had a very light polish to a just discernible imprint on the head stamp so I stopped. I think I’ll call that my past max load for fired brass here at 59g with a magnum primer...

Back to my 60g charge on new brass with the magneto attached the group had tightened down to ~.65 for three shots but that’s, I am sure, too hot in my rifle with naked bullets on fired brass with magnum primers.

I am launching a lot faster than I was expecting... I was expecting to be somewhere around 2600. It must be the magnum primer. I think I will load up some more and explore south of 58 grains with magnum primers and then try out standard primers, picking the load that has the best ES/SD numbers for going out and testing at long range. I know in my 243, magnum primers add about 75fps with H1000 over standard primers. This is the first time I have used RL-22 and the 30-06 is new to me as well, so, I am unsure of the characteristics here. [MENTION=232]MontanaMarine[/MENTION] have you ever tried out magnum primers, if so what was your experience?

My dies should be here tomorrow so it will be interesting how much improvement I will see on paper.

Last edited:
    That's some good vel data.

I've always used standard primers, Federal 210 in the past, and CCI 200 for the last 10 years or so. I also moly my bullets.

That's outstanding speed Niles. My current load is 208 amax, Lapua brass, Wolf LR primer, Ramshot Hunter @58grs, COL @ 3.340". My max mag length is 3.060" and the Amax's are .040" off the lands. Speed is avg 2700 fps with 24" barrel. RL-22 is great powder for the 30-06.

My current load using the 208Amax is 60.0grs RL22/Win Mag primer/WW case for 2725fps from a 22 inch barrel. My "go to" load for this gun. Pure joy with can.

Remington Model 700 Long Range 30-06 tip

I have found that Remington brass is very consistent in weight. Also the weight of the bullet that has been the most accurate is 165-168 grains. If I use anything lighter, it does not shoot near as accurate. The best bullet for me is without a doubt, is the Hornady SST, and GMX, with their superformance rounds to be the best factory ammo for accuracy and lethality. Ballistic silver tips being second. The SST in 165 grain is overkill for Florida deer hunting, as I cut a deer in half. There was nothing left to eat except the hams and sections of backstrap. My dad using the same bullet with a 243 SST bullet cut a deer in half with that. We found it a few feet from where he shot it, and nothing was left inside, but all the meat was intact. I am completely convinced with this new bullet technology, this new Remington chambered in 30-06, if fully capable of taking down any animal in North America, and a host of African game animals. I shot a 300 pound boar hog in the butt with this bullet, and it dropped right where shot. It has completely changed hunting, as smaller projectiles are comparable of what use to require bigger rounds. I can't imagine what a 300 Weatherby Ultra Mag Hornady SST round would do.

Hey Niles, being an 11 pound gun, what is the recoil like? I'm not super sensitive at all really, but is this a gun you could easily (comfortably), shoot 100 rounds out of? Let's hear it. Thanks for posting all this goodness.

I'm curious about recoil too; I'd think 208s @ 2750 would have a fair bit of 'thump' but I guess that's nothing a Schuler brake couldn't fix.

Hey Niles, being an 11 pound gun, what is the recoil like? I'm not super sensitive at all really, but is this a gun you could easily (comfortably), shoot 100 rounds out of? Let's hear it. Thanks for posting all this goodness.

I have always been recoil shy and I am kind of surprised at how little recoil I perceive when compared to the sister R700 LR in 7mm mag that I have. I heard someone here on the hide say a 7mm mag kicks about the same as a heavy loaded 30-06 and that is not true IMHO. The 30-06 does hit me more than my 308’s but I really don’t notice it that much. I guess what I am saying is if you can stand a 11-12 pound 308 this isnt much more. Just remember tense muscles bruise and hurt when hit, relax and let it move you... And yes I could stand shooting a 100 over the course of a few hours... FWIW, I am not sure it would be my first choice if I was taking a three day class with a 500 round count though...

Last edited:
    New rings...
    rl-15004.jpg

DNZ low’s and because they are two piece they work on both SA’s and LA’s and if you need to have more adjustment range you can turn them 180 degrees for extra room.

Loaded up 57, 57.5, 58, 58.5 grains of RL-22 and again I am using Winchester brass, and CCI mag primers this time with the 208 A-max seated .020 to .023 off the lands...

I think I found a nice wide node. I didn’t shot them round robin, rather, each charge weight at a time. These are 4 shot groups. On 57.5 the first shot is the lone hole just off center and the other 3 all went through the same hole. The same is true for the 58 grain charge just a slightly larger hole. I attribute the straggler to getting up off the bench to let the barrel cool a few minutes and settling back behind the rifle. I hate using a bench but the nearly frozen mud in my usual prone spot didn’t look to appealing.
    rl-15002.jpg

So in the next day or two I will load up 57.4-58.2 in .2 grain steps and take it to 3-4 hundred. I should be in the area of 2725-2775 based on my other loads above.

Lots of 06 threads lately, or it could be me just noticing since I got my 110 rechambered in 06, win brass and 4350 with 190 smk's are the money round for me right now, will be trying some 180 GK's soon.

Nice shooting and nice rifle Niles

Quick little update...
    I tested 57.4, 57.6, 57.8 and 58.0 at 300 today on fired brass and 57.8 appears to be the load as it had the tightest vertical, 1.1” CTC. I also tested some non magnum primers over the magnetospeed as well as a few magnums to see just how it changed the overall velocity and the difference averaged out to be 23fps for the rounds tested. I also saved a few to apply at 1000y and the difference in POI appeared to be between .1-.2 mil in elevation which is what it should be for a 20-30 fps difference. Those 208’s really make an impact on the steel at 1000y compared to what I am used to, 175’s driven by a 308 and 139’s from a 260... BONG!

Next up, load work up with a non mag primer and then see which of the two loads shoot the best. Shouldn’t be too hard considering how well the four loaded at 57.7 shot at 1000y when I was comparing them...