• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes On the fence about SPR Optic...opinions needed

MD2Colo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Littleton, CO
Alright, so I bought an Mk 12 Mod 1 upper from HCS. Got the lower with a nice trigger from a member on here.
Trouble picking an optic.

It's either one of these three

1= Mark 4 3.5-10, M2 or M5 knobs, TMR, illum

pros
-cheaper, obj focus, like the TMR

cons
-glass sucks compared to Nightforce
-big (13.1")

2= NXS 2.5-10x32 ZS Mil/MOA or Mil/Mil, don't care

pros
-good glass, ZS, beefy, NF mildot reticle is great w/ hollow dots
LV reticle a possibility, never used one before tho
cons
-12", kinda big
-more expensive, but obviously you get what you pay for

3= NXS 2.5-10x24 ZS Mil/MOA or Mil/Mil, don't care.

pros
-smaller/lighter, good glass, ZS, hollow mil dot reticle. The whole LV reticle thing too.

cons
-availability, the whole price tag thing

Part of me says just wait it out and buy an NXS x24 with all the bells and whistles, which is what everyone will say, probably.

Ah, hell...it's the whole I want it now complex.

Also, the mount is another question. A mount with good QDs would make sense to me, which would make using the BUIS quick. ADM or Larue, probably. ARMS levers are not an option.

Recommendations?

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Gonna see if I can scrounge an extra SPR BUIS set before I spend almost four hundred bucks.

Re: On the fence about SPR Optic...opinions needed

Mine has a NF NSX 2.5-10X32 in an ADM mount and Troy BUIS.

I like it, but you may want closer to spec. Those KAC BUIS cost almost twice what the Troy's cost, and the Troy's aren't cheap.

You could always get the Mk4 or NSX 32mm, shoot it now, and find an NSX 24mm later.

By all means get a scope on that rifle and have fun shooting it ASAP.

Nice rifle!

Thanks, LC.

The Troy sights are adjustable to out to 600 like the KAC ones are? I'll need to check those out.

Closer to spec is better, I guess. I mean, if I'm considering buying the KAC sights I might as well go all the way with the optic, also... damn I hate this crap.

Thx bro

well, that didn't take much convincing.

went with the NXS x32 in the for sale section.

Just needed a slight nudge to get off that fence.

Get an ADM mount from Libertyoptics you won't be sorry. They're lightweight, return to zero and more affordable than others out there.

edit: KAC sights cost 120 for the rear and 150 for front...I think...you can get bravocompany (troy) sights for 220 a pair.

Heard alot about these Bobro mounts. gonna need to check them out. I have an ADM on my 14.5 Noveske that holds a Leupold MR/T, not bad.

If you look around and watch the boards you can get the Knights BUIS for a decent price. I got a 200-600m for $100 off ebay. Right now I am trying to find the front site for less than the $179 they sell for new.

I'm going with the S&B 1-8X24, I have one on order. I would have preferred to go with the correct scope for the MK12 Mod 1 the Nightforce but Nightforce will not sell it to the public unfortunately.

I called NF about scopes not being for resale, they gave me a number to a pawn shop in Arkansas that had 4 x24s in stock. 3 with NPR reticles, one with Mildot. I didn't buy one because I found the better deal on here for an x32mm compact.

501-760-2330, if anyone needs it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with the S&B 1-8X24</div></div>

Short Dot II, right? My buddy just bought one, I'm sure they're nice. What kind of reticle does that have? Just a red dot? can't remember

Mine (SDM actually) has the NF 2.5x10x32 on a Bobro.
Love it!

I want a 1x8 for a AR10 recently built but none out yet.
Looking PR vs S&B.
I am eying an USO in the mean time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with the S&B 1-8X24</div></div>

Short Dot II, right? My buddy just bought one, I'm sure they're nice. What kind of reticle does that have? Just a red dot? can't remember </div></div>

Where did he find a S&B 1-8?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with the S&B 1-8X24</div></div>

Short Dot II, right? My buddy just bought one, I'm sure they're nice. What kind of reticle does that have? Just a red dot? can't remember </div></div>

Where did he find a S&B 1-8? </div></div>

Called S&B directly and ordered from them directly, paid like 2400 or 2200 I think

I don't think NF glass is that much better than Mark 4's.
NF glass is overrated IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think NF glass is that much better than Mark 4's.
NF glass is overrated IMO
</div></div>

and leupold's is over priced, IMHO.

None of the above. First focal plane or you're wasting your money. Several good ones in various price points are available.

scope002.jpg

VX-R Patrol

Not in the same league with NF however for $600 it's been my favorite on my SPR. This one won't be getting replaced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the above. First focal plane or you're wasting your money. Several good ones in various price points are available. </div></div>

I wouldn't really say 'wasting' it, but FFP would be nice on the SPR. I'll bet that the military would have put a FFP NF compact on the Mark 12 if NF had made one.

What are your suggestions?

Depends on what flavor you prefer and what budget you have in mind.

The Vortex Razor 1-4 is FFP, as I recall (PST 1-4 is SFP). The one i used, while excellent, had a bdc-type reticle. I wouldn't put that on an SPR, but check for a MIL-based reticle in that scope if you're interested in a low-power variable.

Bushnell makes an excellent FFP MIL/MIL 3-12x that won't break the bank.

The Vortex PST 4-16 is available in FFP MIL/MIL. I just used mine in the TBAC Team Challenge and it performed flawlessly. I'd have no issues running one on an spr. That's also one of the lightest FFP MIL/MIL scopes available at 22oz.

I have a USO SN3 1.8-10X on my SPR. A Hensoldt 3-12 would work just as well.

Lots of choices .....

The Nightforce scopes are one of the most reliable scopes out there I love Nightforce for all they are. With that said the Leupold Mk4 M5 are great scopes I have really liked the one I had. I have also used there VXR Patrol 3-9x like shown above and I was impressed with it. The RET was a little thick but work just fine. As for a mount the ADM mount are very nice and will do the job very well.

The only issue with the NF scopes right now is they are hard to get in stock.

Mike @ CST

I agree that the VX-R Patrol's reticle is a tad thick. However I can still quarter a egg at 400 yards with it. I was doing load development this morning and found Reloader 15 to be the best out of my rifle. Obviously with two called flyers the shooter needs to do some more work on the AR platform. 5 shot group.
R-15.jpg

Be aware though the VX-R does not have any indication marks that let you know what rev your on. 6 Mil's per turn around 18 Mil's total. From my hundred yard zero on a 0 moa AMD mount I have 8.2 mil's of up left.(You can buy a 20 MOA ADM mount) So I don't feel I'll ever get lost spinning the turret. If I do I can quickly correct back to my 100 yard zero. The red dot motion activation illumination is a plus. The red dot is daylight bright on a white background. Really helps when hunting in dark timber areas. Eye relief seems very generous and forgiving to head placement.

Like I said earlier I'm not trying to compare this to some of the higher end scopes. I believe at $600 it's a damn good buy. If you’re looking for a higher end scope a NF 2.5-10X32 MIL/MIL Zero Stop is going to be hard to beat for the money. JMO. Although If I had the cash I wouldn’t disregard some of the other recommendations. Fit your scope to your shooting.

vortex also has a 2.5-10 in the PST lineup, though it is SFP like the nightforce.

I run an SFP weaver tactical on mine. it's 3-10x40 and pretty damn good for the money. It has a lot of travel for a 1" tube, though I still would prefer 30mm. That is my ONLY gripe, I'm very happy with mine. $299 @ midway. I KNOW it's not "spec", but I am not a Leupold guy. The NF is just flat out of my price range, and I don't see the need to pay that for a 2.5-10x SFP optic.

b8ae183e.jpg

I'm still trying to find a correct top rail, looks like I might have to go with the newer PRI one. I've got the ARMS buis already. You don't have that problem since you've got a mod 1. Lucky dog.

Boone, that is some good shooting...
Thanks for the info, guys.
Having the NF 2.5-10x32 already, I might still pick up one of the Leupold VX-Rs. Hell, I might like it better, who knows. I've never owned an USO before and I'm not reading too many good things about them on here, lately. I'm prolly gonna get lit up for that but hey whatever. I like Leupolds and NFs, it's just my thing.

bcw- NICE mod 0...
please tell me you got a deal on that KAC M110 buttstock!
That bitch is about 450 bucks last time I checked...ouch...

I think you did good on the Nightforce. I was on the fence with that model as well but went with the IOR 2.5-10x42 because of the larger objective and FFP. It has been outstanding.
P6020390.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please tell me you got a deal on that KAC M110 buttstock!
That bitch is about 450 bucks last time I checked...ouch...</div></div>

Actually, I made it myself out of an a2. I slotted it with a milling bit in my dremel, and ordered the KNS stud from midway for $12. The flush cup is a grovetec from Triad, it's put in with epoxy. I also put an aluminum door on the buttplate, since mine had the cheap plastic crap.

It does not have an LOP adjustment like the KAC, though I think I could do one of two things to get one cheaply:
1) Sierra Designs has an adjustable buttplate that fits the a2 stock, it's about $125
2) steal the mechanism out of a $40 airsoft m110 stock and transplant it into my a2. It's only a buttplate, i doubt that it would matter much if it's airsoft junk back there.

On the optics side, I REALLY like that IOR. FFP in a 2-10 type scope is pretty hard to find. AND, SWFA carries it in mil/mil. It's not cheap though, ouch... though for the same price as the NF compact, the IOR does add the FFP feature so it's probably more bang for the buck.

also look at this for those who want a lower power scope:
http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-5x24-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P49447.aspx