• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On the fence to start 308 build

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
I've wanted one for years now. Finally figured why not start my build. Ill start off saying I'm not made of $$ like some of you SOB's.

So instead of being able to drop a pretty penny and grab a GAP 10 the only option I have is to build. I'm pretty much going for a M110 clone but not with knight parts to cut down costs for a medium range shooter to dabble with at local matches to switch with my 700 bolty. Nothing serious just a 1MOA gun and able to pop steel at 1000 when I feel like it. I dont really have the skills or NEED for a .431 MOA shooter at 500 yards. Just something to keep up with some bolt guys at the line.

The first question I have is is it worth it? I notice there isn't huge info on a 308 assuming from the cost and saw them kick up but kind of fall out in the LR stuff. I have a AR15 and have fun with it but it only set me back $1600 when done. This 308 the way I plan is setting me back around $3,500. Should I just spend those funds else where on other guns or is a semi 308 LR build worth it for the guys who have some?

I plan on getting started picking up a JD machine Upper and lower matching billet for about $650+ fee's. Then build from there.

So what say you guys? Get it going or send funds else where?

Its a tough call, but most often, to get EXACTLY what you want without spending more/cutting corners/etc., building is the best way to go. Whether its "worth it or not" is HIGHLY subjective, but to me, the answer is YES. Getting a large-frame AR build to print MOA consistently isn't difficult in terms of the equipment itself if the shooter does his/her part.

If you want instant gratification (minus optics/rings/mount and addt'l mags), there are several factory rifle options from DPMS like the SASS that can be had for ~$1700 or so. It comes with a nice JP single-stage match trigger, Magpul PRS stock, quad rail FF handguard, 18" 1:10 twist barrel and out of the box with a good shooter, ammo, optics, etc., is capable of sub-MOA accuracy. One of THE best bangs for the buck in the industry.

As for building...the JD Machine upper/lower sets are nice, but also consider the SI Defense 308 upper/lower matched receiver set for only $525 + S&H/local transfer fees/etc.

I would go to DSG ARMS and get the ARMALITE AR-10T 20" for $1800 and start shooting it
with good glass from the money you saved.

I haven't seen an ARMALITE AR-10A4 or 10T not shoot less than 0.75MOA five (5) shot groups @ 100yds with
fodder that it liked. And that is from 1999 to today. I've seen a bunch of owners that can't shoot.

I have a 20" 10A4 and a 20" 10T at this time. I usually have three (3) ARMALITE 10s, one usually having a 24" pipe.

Armalite AR-10(T) Black Target Rifle w/20" Stainless Barrel

ARM10TBNF.jpg

I personally really enjoy building my rifles. There is a sense of pride when you take it out to the range and you know that you made (or put together) what you are shooting. And like said above, you can get EXACTLY what you want out of it and put money where you think it is important (usually barrel and trigger).

Man those are some good options

I'm just trying to stick with JD tho because I LOVE their logo especially for a LR rifle. But do you guys think I could match that rifle but just have in built on a JD receiver? I also want a threaded barrel for a nice fat brake.

Also why don't guys or knights use piston systems? I figured these would be the guns they would used those on. I thought piston was a given but it's weird to see 90% of guys and 308 rifles are DI.

You would probably be better off just getting the JD receiver set and building your gun from there. Most barrels you can buy are threaded for brakes.

Some manufacturers use piston systems (LWRC, PWS etc) others dont seems to be company choice.

oh and sent you a pm

Piston and 1000yds are never to be used in the same sentence except for exceptions to the rule.

Exceptions are rarely the right answer, ever.

BTW, you will appreciate{later, when you learn more about gassers} the AR-10's firing pin hole over the DPMS designs. ARMALITE did it right.

Make a left hand list of what you think you want to build and:
1) add up the part's cost w/shipping charges
2) mark what is actually In Stock or the expected available dates
3) start looking at the cost of the build minus #1
A){beer, dinner, no cost even} of borrowing the proper tools for assembly
B) purchasing said proper tools i.e. torque wrench - split beam design if you want to do it right

Make a right hand list of purchasing a complete rifle of your choice
1) Compare it to the above in features, likes and dislikes
2) See how much you actually save or lose with a rifle that can go to the range right now
3) Note costs to modify the rifle to a final desire and compare with the above

All the above is only for the rifle. No glass, mounts, ammunition etc is part of the eval.

There's nothing like a fine 308 AR.

Best to you.

Last edited:
Order the Krieger M110 barrel and build the exact rifle you want with the best foundation.