• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos On the Hill

MontanaMarine

MGySgt, Ret.
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2001
Canyon Ferry, MT
jrob300 was in the area yesterday and we went up the hill to do some ELR plinking.

Ground was damp, so dust signature of splashes was nearly non-existant. There was some snow flying as well, making visibility a bit of a challenge. Spotting impacts was very difficult. We both managed to spot a few impacts at 1915 yards, but not enough to make any quantitative analysis.

jrob was pushing 208s in his 300WinMag, and I was shooting the 208 also, in my 308Win.

Anyhow, some of you might enjoy these pics.

Re: On the Hill

Shane,

Had a great time. I'm learning that the shooting is half the fun. Good company is the other half.

We'll get out there in the spring when the ground is dry. Haven't given up on 2.5K.

Chiller,

Love your sig. Big Heinlein fan as well. TANSTAAFL

John

John, I look forward to it when things dry out again.

Winter Storm Warning in effect here. Supposed to get 6" or so in the valley here, 12"+ on the hills.

We got that shoot in just under the wire.....grin.

Should be really white there soon.

I don't know, though. Big impact poofs in snow might be more visible than misses in wet dirt.
grin.gif
That is if it's not snowing so hard you can't see the end of your spotting scope.
wink.gif

I'm really curious about what trace looks like in swirling snow.

John

That settles it. I'm living in Montana when I retire. I'd almost trade a kidney for a place like that to be remotely close to where I live.

Well, I cannot quantify my results at 1900 yds. Conditions made spotting too difficult.

In dryer conditions where I could see my impacts I've had consistent hits under .5 mil, at a mile. Tried 2100 yards when it was dry, but at that distance results were erratic, had a beaten zone about 4 mils vertical.

This is all with the 208 AMax at 2600 fps MV from a 1/12 twist barrel.

sure does make me glad i live here too love that fact i can shoot 800-1000 yards 30 minutes from my house and that im the only one there

Cool, good times. Miss Big Sky country. Is that the Musselshell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure does make me glad i live here too love that fact i can shoot 800-1000 yards 30 minutes from my house and that im the only one there </div></div>

yeah... im pretty jealous.

i was in montana last year. man i would have stayed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, good times. Miss Big Sky country. Is that the Musselshell? </div></div>

It's the Missouri River. There's a dam that forms Canyon Ferry Lake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrLowandSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm soooo jealous of you guys! I've always wanted to move out there. </div></div>

+1 I think Montana is one of the most beautiful states.