• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On the horns of a dilemma

tinman52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2008
Delware
Hi all. I’ve reloaded a bit in the past, but really want to get deeper in to it. Right now I have a single stage hornady press. Been going back and forth on getting the zero for 1200 or the Dillion 750 xl loaded for 1500. I’ll be loading for rifle and 9mm, 45acp. Trying to be practical, but that’s not a strong suit of mine. Which would you prefer? Thanks for any guidance

Well for pistol I’d say Dillon progressive- I run a pair of 650’s. You can load rifle on a Dillon as well just depends on what level of accuracy/ perfection you are seeking on the rifle side of things.

If you shoot a lot of pistol I would get the progressive press. Like 300 or more rounds a month. Use the Hornady press for precision rifle. Then experiment with assembling precision rifle cartridges on the progressive. I've never touched the 419 press but I don't understand why a single stage should cost that much.

Reactions: Dstoenner
I started on a Hornady progressive. Don't load pistol ammo. I have a greater appreciation for a single stage with my Rock Chucker. Depriming is about all I use the progressive for now. It's there if I ever want to load pistol.

Dillon! Load your pistol rounds fully progressive, then setup the dillon to process your rifle brass (deprime/size/neck mandrel). Finish by weighing powder and seating on your single stage.