• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Once a Marine Always a Marine?

shakey yankee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
FTB Ga
Well, lets see what kind of shit I can stir up.

Recently I had to remove a soldier from my team due to a lack of performance. He is prior service USMC and during his two years with us he frequently said, "Once a Marine, always a Marine!".

So some buddies and I were discussing this, "Once a Marine, always a Marine!" statement. Here is what we came up with.

IF you ETS from the USMC-
"Once a Marine, always a Marine!"

IF you Retire from the USMC-
"Once a Marine, always a Marine!"

IF you leave your beloved corp for another service-
"Your just a quitter!"

**DISCLAIMER**
No disrespect to anyone here, but I just couldn't resist!

Re: Once a Marine Always a Marine?

You can ETS from the Corps then re-enlist to another branch and proudly serve in another branch like many have proudly done. You are saying that those "Former" Marines that ETS then re-enlisted in another branch and gave their lives are quitters.

Sounds like a bad case of diareah of the mouth and constipation of the brain to me.

Semper Fi

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys. He was just trying to fit in.

HA! I knew that would stir the shit stew up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a bad case of diareah of the mouth and constipation of the brain to me.</div></div>
And yes, the soldier I mentioned had a very bad case of the above quoted.

Fuckin jokin guys, I love all my brothers and sisters in arms. Don't tell me you Marines are that fragile.

Here is a brain teaser for you marines. What did President Harry S. Truman say about the USMC, that was true and the marine corps didn't like it?

"The Marine Corps is the Navy's police force and as long as I am President that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's."

U -U
S- Suckers

A- Aint
R- Really
M- Marines
Y- Yet

No disrespect intended....BUT.
Sounds like disrespect intended to me.

There was always, I'm sure with any branch of the service who can not play well...we called them the 10%, or perhaps even shit birds.

I don't know the details of the lack of performance, but I will say this. Even the 10%, once a Marine always a Marine.

As far as the Navy Police Force..realy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Your just a quitter!"

</div></div>

What about those who left the Army for the Marine Corps? We did not call them quitters, we called them improved. If they made it through boot camp.

I had a "ranger" get pissy the other day. He said: " Yeah yeah Marines, woo woo big fuckin deal. But can you say that you've been through Ranger school?" I grinned looked at my feet, paused, waited, waited, then he inhaled to speak, and I spoke up and said: " No. But I learned how to fight in boot camp, and I was a Jet mechanic. I learned more in Basic training than they taught you in Ranger school, minus the jump school." He replied like they all do,...."Fuck you man, fuck you".

" No disrespect intended"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sfikes2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a "ranger" get pissy the other day. He said: " Yeah yeah Marines, woo woo big fuckin deal. But can you say that you've been through Ranger school?" I grinned looked at my feet, paused, waited, waited, then he inhaled to speak, and I spoke up and said: " No. But I learned how to fight in boot camp, and I was a Jet mechanic. I learned more in Basic training than they taught you in Ranger school, minus the jump school." He replied like they all do,...."Fuck you man, fuck you".

" No disrespect intended"</div></div>

I believe Col. John Ripley would disagree...

sorry, but I doubt a female Marine who went through basic is more highly trained than a Ranger.

http://www.marines.mil/units/mcieast/mclbalbany/Pages/MarineinductedintoRangerHallofFame.aspx

Folks, are you aware that the owner of this site started as a Marine Sniper, and then re-upped as an Army Sniper?

One might do well to avoid mixing the merde in such a manner.

Greg

well put greg, well put indeed. i used to hate all marines. for a personal reason, and there was no real basis to hate all marines, but i did anyway. but when i was deployed i met a great many good marines. by the way, im in the army. now i dont judge so harshly anymore. we have a "former" marine in my motorpool, and we mess with him every now and then, but anyone whos been in the service for more than a day understands that its "when they stop fucking with you, thats when you need to worry". its all in fun, and nobody(usually) gets hurt.

and by the way, i have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who has completed sniper training. in the army, marines, doesnt matter. they did it, i didnt.

Can't we all just get along?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sfikes2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a "ranger" get pissy the other day. He said: " Yeah yeah Marines, woo woo big fuckin deal. But can you say that you've been through Ranger school?" I grinned looked at my feet, paused, waited, waited, then he inhaled to speak, and I spoke up and said: " No. But I learned how to fight in boot camp, and I was a Jet mechanic. I learned more in Basic training than they taught you in Ranger school, minus the jump school." He replied like they all do,...."Fuck you man, fuck you".

" No disrespect intended" </div></div>

I had / have a few bud's that went to Ranger school.
I would imagine there are a few Marines in every class.
All have black berets, 80's, of course they never wore them though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LAR Dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sfikes2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a "ranger" get pissy the other day. He said: " Yeah yeah Marines, woo woo big fuckin deal. But can you say that you've been through Ranger school?" I grinned looked at my feet, paused, waited, waited, then he inhaled to speak, and I spoke up and said: " No. But I learned how to fight in boot camp, and I was a Jet mechanic. I learned more in Basic training than they taught you in Ranger school, minus the jump school." He replied like they all do,...."Fuck you man, fuck you".

All have black berets, 80's, of course they never wore them though. </div></div>

A former marine I work with went through ranger school in the 70's. He was not allowed to wear the badge but they wore them under the flap of there LH pockets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LAR Dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sfikes2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a "ranger" get pissy the other day. He said: " Yeah yeah Marines, woo woo big fuckin deal. But can you say that you've been through Ranger school?" I grinned looked at my feet, paused, waited, waited, then he inhaled to speak, and I spoke up and said: " No. But I learned how to fight in boot camp, and I was a Jet mechanic. I learned more in Basic training than they taught you in Ranger school, minus the jump school." He replied like they all do,...."Fuck you man, fuck you".

All have black berets, 80's, of course they never wore them though. </div></div>

A former marine I work with went through ranger school in the 70's. He was not allowed to wear the badge but they wore them under the flap of there LH pockets. </div></div>

Hiding the Ranger Tab under the EGA, Marines know, not sure if that is disrespectful to the Corps or not, could be perceived either way.
Rangers are GTG, the Ranger mentality and culture is very similar to the Marine culture.
That is basically what makes the Marine Corps soo different than the other branches, it is a Warrior Culture, regardless of MOS.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lzbr6fPDmkE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lzbr6fPDmkE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnblanks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Your just a quitter!"

</div></div>

What about those who left the Army for the Marine Corps? We did not call them quitters, we called them improved. If they made it through boot camp. </div></div>

Nicely put seeing how I left the army after 8 years and a lot of rank to become a MARINE. I gave up a lot to be a Marine. For one thing not too mention the rank that I lost to be a Marine. There are many reasons why I left the army after 8 long years. And being deployed for the 3rd time I see everyday the reasons that I got out and Im glad for it. One thing that I can say about the topic.....once you do leave the Corps (honorably) you will "Always Be a Marine." When you walk around your hometown and ask people what they do, some will answer "military" if they are of the USA, USAF, OR USN. But the ones you come across that are Marines will tell you that they are Marines. Marines are a warrior culture that is instilled in us from TD 1 of boot camp. I cant say that about the army because it dont happen. The Marine Corps is a different culture than the rest of the services. It dont matter what MOS you have. I could go on and on and on but Ill wait until I hear from the rest of you.

for the first time, I didn't stir this one up
grin.gif
. There going to love you on this site, these old farts don't forget s**t. good luck to you my son

Some folks need to develop a fuckin sense of humor.

"when they stop fucking with you, thats when you need to worry" is the most true statement in this thread.

In 10 years of Army I worked with and for Marines several times. Saw good, damn good and piss poor in both services. Best NCO I ever worked for was a Marine E9 (he had his shit together. His boss a Brit Major who was the second best officer I ever worked for. Best was a SF Captain.

Personally, I think the Naval Infantry is a hell of a great service.

I was Army until I was medically retired. I have nothing but respect for anyone who has the will to join the military, no matter what branch it is. All I was doing was just poking some fun at you Marines is all.
Now as to what Pres. Truman said was "The Marine Corps is nothing but a mop up crew, always has been and always will be."
Now this is not my personal view, and the only reason I didn't join the Marines, I can't swim!

i work in a motorpool as a mechanic in the army(weird, i know). and outside of the infantry, mechanics are the best group of jokers youll ever meet. to that respect, we're like infantry with tools. i had to do some growing up to stand up to it, and had to do it quick. you cant go crying to your section leader every time someone calls you a limp wristed fanny bandit, or tells you to come give him a "knee hug"(think about it for a second, youll get it.) all im saying is, if you dont have a sense of humor, you wont have friends either, at least they wont admit to it.

oh, and has anyone else noticed that theres more gay jokes/inuendo in the military than anywhere else? and im not just talking about the navy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

oh, and has anyone else noticed that theres more gay jokes/inuendo in the military than anywhere else? <span style="font-style: italic"> <span style="font-weight: bold">and im not just talking about the navy.</span></span> </div></div>

Easy now ! LOL
wink.gif

BTW,

The absolute BEST ass chewing I ever got was from a Marine .....

I learned the hard way to check those collar devices...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW,

The absolute BEST ass chewing I ever got was from a Marine .....: </div></div>

Same here. Gunny was quite miffed that I launched a rocket into a mangrove tree full of egrets instead of the designated target 20degrees to the right. Remaining egrets also had some choice words for me.
I learned many new things at GTMO.

i had to do it. i know it was a low blow(pun intended).
so was it your day in the barrel chpprguy?

I had grown complacent,
Navy collar devices are shiney....
grin.gif

Marines are blacked out
I saw no shiney, I ignored.....
cool.gif

He chewed my ass up and down the pier, in front of my guys too!
I wasn't upset, I was so impressed with the non stop barage....
(like he practiced it and was saving it for just this occasion)

It took everything I had not to grin.....
smirk.gif

well, im under the impression those marine guys have nothing better to do than practice ass chewing. just kidding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, im under the impression those marine guys have nothing better to do than practice ass chewing. just kidding. </div></div>

HAHAHA !

I raise money and awareness for all vets in all branches. I love ALL of my brothers/ sisters in arms. I get pissy from time to time when someone challenges the level of comradery between Marines. Such as the young soldier I mentioned above. There is an unspoken bond between all Marines, that is indeed different and stronger than the bond between Soldiers, sailors or Airmen. If I run into a fellow Marine Ive never met, there is an instant level of brotherhood, and kinsmanship there. I could ask any fellow Marine for anything, and know that he would give it if he had it. Ive watched many a Soldier meet and all you see and hear is some like: " Oh you were in the army? Cool, me too." Not to detract from that but it just isn't the same. That all being said, I HAVE seen soldiers who have been in major combat together have a similar bond. It just seems we Marines, develop that bond Immediately vs having a combat situation develop it. Perhaps that's why Marines are generally better in combat situations? We take that bond to the fight vs letting the fight develop it? Not sure if that's the case but makes sense.

that is just flat out not true. i am in the army. and it doesnt matter where i go, what i do, if i have my buddies with me, which i usually do considering theyre really the only buddies i got, we do everything as one. if im short on cash, i know someone will spot me, if i need a ride, i can call anyone at any time of night. even my section ncoic(E-7), he will drive out to pick me up, no questions asked, and i was only deployed with 2 out of the 15 or so that work in my motorpool. and i have a tighter bond with any fellow soldier than anyone else ive ever known(outside of family).

and like i said, you need a tough hide, need to know how to take a joke. and by the way, i may have to check into this and do some testing, but im pretty sure this thread is on the internet. dont get hurt.

Once again Ill add to this thread. The bond that Marines have with each other (active, reserve, or retired) starts out in boot camp. That botherhood is drilled into our heads. No other service in our military learns about their history other than the Marine Corps. The army sure as hell doesnt do that and Im sure that no one else does either. We all go through the same training. There is only two places to do that. The army on the other hand is all over the States and the level of how difficult it is depends on where you go. Once you leave the Corps you will have that forever. The old timers that I talk to when I go home always talk about their Corps and they talk about it with pride. When you tell people that you are a Marine the women want to cream their pants. I have yet even when I was in the army for a reaction like this to happen. Marines are held to a higher standard and thus the American people see that. Our history speaks for itself.

Now you want to talk about bond. You dont go anyway in the military and not have a bond with the comrades you work with. I see the people in my platoon more than my wife. You knows your comrades better than you know your wife, girlfriend, or whatever. Everyone knows that your best pals in your platoon will be there for you when you need cash, need a ride, or need picked up from the county jail. That dont change because of what unit or service your in.

One last thing, GYSGTMUSMC that picture is awesome.

usmc grunt. i have to say you made some real good statments there. youre right, your training(marines) is harder than what i went through. and you do learn more about your history than we do, and i admit to that. and you have a better looking dress uniform than we do... ours is ugly and dumb as hell. im actually starting to get jealous sitting here typing... youre right, i am in the motorpool more than i am at home...

oh, the marines werent trying to offer me a job i wanted. i wanted to be a mechanic, and all he could talk about was the infantry. i got up and walked out to the army recruiter(right past the navy and air force) and asked about a mechanic MOS. i was signing papers within a couple hours. so you can see that my first choice was marines. if i wanted infantry from the start, i would have definately been a marine, but it didnt work like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">usmc grunt. i have to say you made some real good statments there. youre right, your training(marines) is harder than what i went through. and you do learn more about your history than we do, and i admit to that. and you have a better looking dress uniform than we do... ours is ugly and dumb as hell. im actually starting to get jealous sitting here typing... youre right, i am in the motorpool more than i am at home...

oh, the marines werent trying to offer me a job i wanted. i wanted to be a mechanic, and all he could talk about was the infantry. i got up and walked out to the army recruiter(right past the navy and air force) and asked about a mechanic MOS. i was signing papers within a couple hours. so you can see that my first choice was marines. if i wanted infantry from the start, i would have definately been a marine, but it didnt work like that. </div></div>

Im just speaking from experience. Thats all. Ill let people chew on that for a little bit then Ill be back to post more.

skunk

yes, youre correct in your observations oh wise one of the internet. i bow in the presence of such greatness, and cower in the fact that you allowed your one sentence comeback to be directed towards a person like myself. how do you do it?

if you had read my whole post, you would have seen that i explained myself at the end as to why i went elsewhere. and may i apologise to you for making the decision i did, had i known of you from the beginning i could have tailored my whole life to suit your witty one liners.

and why was first choice in quotations? it makes it seem that "youre" trying to undermine my decision. if thats the fact, then "you" let me know, and ill go to my commander and let him know that "you" said i shouldnt be a mechanic, nor should i be in the army and i want to go off to be a big bad marine. "you" just let me know, ok?

but seriously, i looked at the whole thing of joining the army as one big paid job training deal, and it would give me a job after i got out. now that ive been in for a minute or two, i love my job, and want to keep it that way for a while. i love the people i work with, i love "turning wrenches", and i also love the fact that my schedule can change in the blink of an eye... keeps you on your toes. i just love it.

shakey yankee you had to know that anything said to or about marines would stir up the mix.

(ret)USMC 0311,YEAH NOTHIN BUT A GROUND POUNDING GRUNT..1986-1994

pesky quotation marks... lol... im gonna have to use that, just dont know where... lol!

i was simply calling you out, a little. im not pissed. if you read through the thread, youll see that most(most) of the people here said they can take a joke. i dont really think anyone would work anywhere that didnt offer them the job they wanted(at least, i hope not) if another job/branch of service/company offered them the job they wanted, for the same pay. i just have a certain way with words. makes me seem pissed, when im just doing a litttle bit of jokin around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sfikes2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I raise money and awareness for all vets in all branches. I love ALL of my brothers/ sisters in arms. I get pissy from time to time when someone challenges the level of comradery between Marines. Such as the young soldier I mentioned above. There is an unspoken bond between all Marines, that is indeed different and stronger than the bond between Soldiers, sailors or Airmen. If I run into a fellow Marine Ive never met, there is an instant level of brotherhood, and kinsmanship there. I could ask any fellow Marine for anything, and know that he would give it if he had it. Ive watched many a Soldier meet and all you see and hear is some like: " Oh you were in the army? Cool, me too." Not to detract from that but it just isn't the same. That all being said, I HAVE seen soldiers who have been in major combat together have a similar bond. It just seems we Marines, develop that bond Immediately vs having a combat situation develop it. Perhaps that's why Marines are generally better in combat situations? We take that bond to the fight vs letting the fight develop it? Not sure if that's the case but makes sense. </div></div>

I can neither agree or disagree with this,
as I only served in the Navy....
I love and respect all my brothers who served in any service;
but I have a different camaraderie with fellow sailors..
I believe that part of the differences may be due to generation gaps and different beliefs, but that is mere speculation.
I do however think that arguing which branch is better,tougher,more close knit is akin to arguing who has a bigger dick or who's dad can kick another dad's ass.....
wink.gif

Thank all of you, I never fought... I fixed shit....
and as skunk referred to , I joined the Navy on purpose, because the Navy had Nuke welders, and they were supposed to be the best, so that's what I wanted to be.....
Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYSGTMUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Desert MARPAT... and the Kevlar denotes that was originally a picture of a Marine as 1) Army doesnt use that pattern and 2) never seen a soldier in ACU's (provided that argument would surface) in a Kevlar as the ACH is so pervasive in our RFI issue

fail.

ive been following this thread from work, and the military computers for some reason filter out alot of these pictures. i didnt notice the caveman one until just now. and i was going to point out the same thing about the uniform as cavscout did. but i guess it was easy enough for a marine to miss that.

Didnt point it out to cause anything or further a rift...just to point out how stupid the pic is. Ive met Marines that were just nothing more than an insult to the Corps, and Airmen that were outstanding.

One of my best friends is a former Marines...and some of the people I dislike the most are Soldiers.

my grandfather left highschool early in ww2 to join the Navy...was destined for a battleship until they found he could type 80wpm lol, my Uncle joined the Marine Corps and was an avionics electrician on harriers. He would have stayed but his wife convinced him to get out. She left him anyway and all he ever talked about really was missing the Marine Corps. my dad was a reservist supply guy...I draw no distinctions on those who choose to serve.

My only real run in with a Marine that pissed me off was a guy I grew up with and was in boy scouts with. I had just gotten done with 19D OSUT and was on my 10 days of leave before reporting to Ft Stewart and I saw Chris at the local HS Football game. We were catching up and he said he had just gotten done with bootcamp and Logisitics MOS training for the Marine Corps and I said I had just gotten out of training myself. He asked what branch and I said Army, Cavalry Scout. He goes "hmmph.. the Army, thats gay". I immediately said " Chris, you may be in the Marine Corps, but you're a fucking supply guy...dont kid yourself" and walked away.

I have much respect for the Marine Corps...but I dont buy into the bullshit thrown out that Ive heard from Marines about how theyd take a Female Marine into combat over an Army Infantryman. Shit like that just sounded retarded.

Ahh hell. That's all I have to say. lol.

Lawrence Olivier may have said it best.

We Few.
We Happy Few
We Band of Brothers
(with all due respect to the longbow)
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jXFnQUU7yg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jXFnQUU7yg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shakey yankee you had to know that anything said to or about marines would stir up the mix.

(ret)USMC 0311,YEAH NOTHIN BUT A GROUND POUNDING GRUNT..1986-1994
</div></div>

BUWHAAAAA! Yes I was feeling a bit silly that day. So glad to see so much love!

I have had the opportunity over the years to serve with members from all the services and the one thing that holds true to each and every damn one of them in each and every service is that we are all <span style="font-weight: bold">Proud Americans serving our country and we'll kick your ass!</span>

Doesn't matter if your a clerk or a grunt, nobody fucks with the US Armed Services.

Aside from the spelling error of "If you can't be them, join them"...Be? if you can't "be", how will you "join"...I find that poster as tongue in cheek as can be considering both branches offer MOS's which would lead to "job" training and the college money is the same as far as the GI Bill.

in recognition of the absurdity of what this thread has become (for no one has really answered how such a bad ass Marine could possibly be a sub-par performer in the lowly Army)...

Jointhecav.jpg

hahah.. thats not me.

this however is...little kid herded his camels right in front of our TCP... no traffic around, so we took turns riding it. Gave him an MRE and a bottle of water for his troubles.

About to get on:
n646410487_1332355_5267.jpg

on:
n646410487_1332354_5020.jpg