• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Once fired brass not fitting in cartridge gauge

Kalifornistan Refugee

I know that I do not know.
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2021
West Valley Phoenix, AZ
I reloaded my first batch of some of the once fired brass last night from my first two sessions at the range. I used a Hornady cartridge gauge to check the rounds after hand loading new brass and those cartridges fit in the gauge and everything went smoothly using that ammo.

Now I'm having an issue with the once fired brass after reloading. When checking them in the gauge they stop above the case head. Is that normal for once fired brass that's only neck sized or do I need to pull the bullets and fl resize them?

The once fired brass is fire formed to your chamber, the case gauge isn’t going to match your chamber.

+1

Chambers vary in size from one rifle to the next. Some rifles have huge chambers. Some rifles have minimum chambers. A case gauge is designed to give you an idea if your FL sized case will fit a saami spec chamber.