• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Once fired Hornady

Ejcb

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2013
Hello everyone!

Ann currently using a pair of Tac A1s, one in .223 and the other in 6.5CM, both with Minox 5-25 ZPTACs and suppressors (UK).

I use 69 SMK (UK HPS) and 140 BTHP (Hornady American Gunner) factory loads for general shooting.

I want to retain the brass for reloading.

I am currently wanting to set my FL dies up to provide 0.002 bump, however, I notified that the Hornady brass gave a fairly wide variety of measurements when using a Hornady comparator tool.

As a result - I’m unsure how to set up my die, do) group brass into the various lengths and adjust the dies to provide 0.002 bump to each group or b) do I expect a certain amount of growth from the shorter cases and set up the die to address the longer cases?

Many thanks in advance!

Getting a wide variety of shoulder bumps is a sign of not using enough case lube, or not using it evenly. Properly lubed cases will resize evenly. Try that first.

Getting a wide variety of shoulder bumps is a sign of not using enough case lube, or not using it evenly. Properly lubed cases will resize evenly. Try that first.
Thanks for your reply, however the variety is not from my resized brass, but from factory Hornady American gunner straight from the Tac A1 chamber.

Take your longest datum, get your die to F/L size to -.001". take the case and see if it will chamber with any resistance. You can easily figure out @ which datum length will chamber in your rifle with little or no resistance. That will be the datum number on you comparator that you can bump to.

I like to chamber pieces brass of brass until I find one that is a little tight, then use that one to set up my die. You will probably need of few pieces of brass that size to get it set up. I always seem run past the mark, and have to screw the die back out a little anyway.

Thanks for your input.

i stripped my bolt to get a brass / chamber size as well as an accurate CBTO measurement - after frustrating attempts with the Hornady tool.

My 50x once fired brass ranges from 1.531 to 1.535 inches in length with my chamber measured to best accept 1.533.

As a result I will try and size down to 1.531, however the 1.535 will need a 0.004 - although as they are once fired the 1.535 will probably load fine.

Just a FYI, when taking datum measurements be sure to deprime the fired cases. Fired primers in the cases can give false measurements. Don't know if you knew that.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Just a FYI, when taking datum measurements be sure to deprime the fired cases. Fired primers in the cases can give false measurements. Don't know if you knew that.

many thanks - yes, I did, but always good to have as much info I’m these threads so thank you.

with regards to the above sizing, ultimately, if the cartridge fits into the chamber even if tight, is this preferable to an undersized case which could cause case failure?

You will get varying opinions on this. Some say it should be a light crush fit, or little to no resistance or it should fit like a Rat Turd in a Violin case. You will need to see what works for you. For my hunting loads, it's a Rat Turd in a Violin case.

You will get varying opinions on this. Some say it should be a light crush fit, or little to no resistance or it should fit like a Rat Turd in a Violin case. You will need to see what works for you. For my hunting loads, it's a Rat Turd in a Violin case.

Ultimately, the issue of pressure is mainly handled by avoiding jamming into the lands, if the case is the third at least it doesn’t have the issues of excessive headspace.

A rat turd - I like it!