• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Once fired LC Split Necks 556

Joe-n-TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2003
Texas
Well, I was bored and wanted to do something gun related around the house. I knew I had about 300pc of spent LC 556 brass so I thought why not tumble them. The LC brass was from reloads that I purchased with a buddy for a carbine match so we wouldn't have to burn up our 31a and 193 good stuff. So, I though to my self why not tumble the lot for the hell of it. With the thought that some day I'll purchas some 223 dies.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Edit: to add that these were purchased as reloaded ammo using once fired LC brass.</span>

So after tumbling and checking just a hand full look what I found
BeachMay9115.jpg

I've always read skip the once fired mil brass. Now I'm a believer.

So, actually I guess it would be twice fired but whos counting....

Re: Once fired LC Split Necks 556

I have bought and shot thousands of Dallas Reloader .556 and have reloaded atleast twice and have never had split necks. What headstamp is yours?
Check the trim lenghth and have him lighten up on the crimp. Looks like there is alot of length difference in the photo.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anneal! </div></div>

Ditto! Anneal your brass and that will not happen! The primers pockets will get loose before you split a case neck!

Terry

I attribute it to sloppy reloading. I purchased 500pc of new LC556 from Top Brass for future reloading. I stopped shooting the electric guns now(carbines). I can't keep my finger off the trigger. Just too damn expensive. I'm better off turning it into a SPR.

Anneal after the first firing?
I will not be agreeing with those who suggested annealing to cure this. I would blame the brass, or one of the weapons it was fired in, or the reloading practices.

Does anyone actually anneal after every firing? Every other firing? This stuff supposedly failed on the 2nd firing.

I never anneal, and have never had a split neck in a heck of a lot more than 10,000 rounds loaded. I have run batches of LC and Lapua brass beyond 50 reloads each without annealing and never split one.

The only neck split I have ever had was from PMC factory loads and they split on the initial firing.

I am sure that annealing can yield positive improvments in neck tension, but have not yet felt the need to do so. One day.

Not only do they look like the OAL is all over the place but what is that circumferential ring close to the case mouth? On most once fired military brass that has this, once you size and trim to the correct OAL, you'd never see this. And, no, it is not necessary to anneal every time you anneal. This is one of those things that got way out of hand. When you size brass, it work hardens. Annealing will reverse this process- at least if it's done properly. I believe that by and large it was the benchresters, as usual, who started the annealing craze. But they were doing it for consistent neck tension, and as usual, some of that leaked out so now many want to anneal all the time. I would not be surprised in the slightest to hear of someone who's tried annealing at several different points in the reloading process.

If you look at the pictures I doubt that they have been trimmed to length. The ring crimp marks is still visible at the top of the case mouths. If this was a 1x fired brass from a military range I would bet that they was all too long for a bolt gun to headspace properly!

Metallurgy has everything to do with it! and how much the brass has been worked. If you have a tight chamber your brass will last longer!

My saying is "IF it moves you lose"!

Terry

Hmmmm are you positive they were only once fired? Doesn't look like it to me.

Here are some from the same batch. I've gone through close to 800rds so far without a hitch. Remember this coming from an AR not a bolt gun.
LC001.jpg

LC005.jpg

I purchased these way before I started reloading. That said, for the price I paid then and what I know now. I would have considered it Blazer type ammo and bough 5K of it instead of 1.

Yeah, those trim lengths looks to be all over the place. The last set of pics, the 3rd from the left looks to be shorter then the 2 left ones. I have thousands and thousand of pieces of LC brass and none of them have split to the extent of what you are experiencing.

Are you shooting these in a 5.56 or a .223 chamber? If the necks are long from
not being trimmed it could be the problem. Notice all but the last 2 are tight at
the mouth like they cracked back a bit and were pinched tight in front. Funky the way
they are not seated into the cannelure all the way either. If they were crimped like that
it also could be causing problems.

Like my Bushmaster his colt AR will shoot either 223 or 5.56. I've had my AR for some 8 to 10 years and I've never split any cases like he did.
Joe n TX do or have you ever shot any Wolf ammo out of your colt and how old is your weapon? You did say these rounds are all reloads by someone else?

Only Q3131a and Fed XM193

That's why I went in on the reloaded ammo. To avoid Wolf.

The vendor stated commercially reloaded ammo. He had several rifle and pistol calibers and large quantities.

The ammo shot fine and most of the brass was left on the range. The last match I decided to pick up for future reloading purposes.

I have found quite a few once fired LC with split necks. They were left on the range by the local LEO after their quals. I thought it was my lucky day, but at least a dozen look just like what's in the picture above.

Just a thought, but did you check the headspace on this AR? Does it do this to other ammo or just the reman'd reload ammo?

Normally I'd say you would see the base stretching and look for case head separation, but I've seen split necks and shoulders from headspace issues too, and not only in rimmed cartridges.