• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One additional mechanical addition for enhancing the ability to reach out with the CZ 750 (S1M1) - Where to place the monopod.

Frak

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2023
Canada
A bit of history.

I mechanically accurized the rifle. A necessary process for the 1/12 twist rate barrel and stock impinged action. Barrel was a heavy fouler. Magazine area required attention for smooth loading and the bolt lugs required lapping. Last item required discovery of the correct bullet/cartridge combination. Always content with the trigger. Glass is Zeiss 6 X 24 with Rapid Z reticle mounted on the rifle dovetails. Sling is an RS3 allowing carry of a 15 lb. rig that otherwise would be a boat anchor. It is a Tack driver shooting prone. Prone is how I target ungulates when possible...

Installation of a mono pod on the rear is the question. I have placed the sand sock on the hook and under the hand hold behind the action with both positions providing accuracy.

As the butt end has a hook shape I'm considering installing the monopod under the hand hold location. Sand sock works well in this location as there is considerable area for the rifle weight to rest solidly. I have concerns about the monopod mounted in this spot and creating a wobbling effect on the sighting.

Anyone have experience installing a monopod behind and below the action?

I've had an accu-shot monopod and it was a very well made and very functional piece of equipment. But in my opinion monopods are better for long term static viewing than they are for active hunting.

I've had an accu-shot monopod and it was a very well made and very functional piece of equipment. But in my opinion monopods are better for long term static viewing than they are for active hunting.
Very true about static positioning. Once your prone you are static. A mono pod would deploy quicker than a sand sock. It is the placement/location of the mono pod on the rifle that is the concern. Best suited at the rear of stock or equally stable mounted under the hand hold behind the action? My concern.

Further back would likely be a little more stable. On the other hand if it is installed in the butt hook it would be out of the way when not in use. Also being further forward it would be easier to manipulate. I don't use one anymore because even the quick adjust was still slower than squeezing a rear bag.

Right. Squeezing is quicker than manipulating especially in snow/mud/dirt/etc.
Back to the KISS principle and accepting the old Sand Sock.

Cheers will!

I'll close this off.

Hunting ungulates provides an 8 inch radius . The 168 gr has acceptable performance on ungulates to 500 yards. I will not fire upon meat beyond that range. I was practicing targeting on metal lawn ornaments of ducks/geese out to 650 and the shots were two to three inches in variable hits. Thought was to tighten up the groups. If I ever target paper then I may go for the monopod. BUT not my thing.