• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One bullet to the next.....making a switch?

jh26

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2012
IN
Fairly new to reloading, coming up on 1 yr. Shooting DPMS AR 24" barrel in .260, Lapua brass, Federal gold match primers, 41.5gr of H4350 and 140smks getting 2638 fps. (looks promising, but always 1 flyer 2-3" away from the rest at 400yrds?)I have a question for those experts out there and hope its not to vague. Using Hornadays bullet Comparator I am loading to 2.004. Wanting to try some different bullets in the 139-140 class. Would it be too easy to assume if I load to the same specs I would be judging one bullet vs another, keeping all things equal. Or will I need to run each bullet through the regular process of trying different seating depths and charges tp get a real world comparison? Go to load so far has been, same as above but 123gr lapua scenars, 43gr, 2775fps @ 2.189 COAL. Able to get 3" groups at 400yrds.

Fairly new to reloading, coming up on 1 yr. Shooting DPMS AR 24" barrel in .260, Lapua brass, Federal gold match primers, 41.5gr of H4350 and 140smks getting 2638 fps. (looks promising, but always 1 flyer 2-3" away from the rest at 400yrds?)I have a question for those experts out there and hope its not to vague. Using Hornadays bullet Comparator I am loading to 2.004. Wanting to try some different bullets in the 139-140 class. Would it be too easy to assume if I load to the same specs I would be judging one bullet vs another, keeping all things equal. Or will I need to run each bullet through the regular process of trying different seating depths and charges tp get a real world comparison? Go to load so far has been, same as above but 123gr lapua scenars, 43gr, 2775fps @ 2.189 COAL. Able to get 3" groups at 400yrds.

Absolutely will need to do custom development on each bullet. Even at the same gr the 155 SMKS/Scenars/Hornady/Berger all shoot differently and like different charges in my rifle.

You may get lucky though, my 260 had nodes for both 140vlds and 140 amax at the same 42.6 grns...2 totally different designed bullets. You'll still have to try it out one way or the other

Thanks. Do you find that vlds are harder to tune?

They were def more sensitive to seating....10 thou in the lands were almost a 3in group, worked my way back to 120 thou off.

60thou and 120 were 1.3 and 1.4 in groups, 80 thou off the lands were 1/2 inch

The amax's on the other hand were no where near as bad

Then I am not crazy I read so much about being into the lands that it makes me nervous to be so far away and always think something could be better. I also assume that my A.R. was just more sensitive Than a bolt gun?