• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Gap or a couple lesser rifles

darrenk75b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
Chico, Ca
I have some factory and some semi-custom rifles that are fine. However, the pull of the GAP force is strong.

I've been strongly considering selling a couple of my "lesser" rifles to fund the purchase of a GAP .243. Nothing fancy in the GAP, merely a base tactical.

I know a number of you have likely gone through the same process. What say you? Should I offload a few other rifles and get a GAP? I've been down this road with 1911s, and think it will be difficult to ever again own a mere factory 1911. Perhaps the same will happen with my rifles...

Re: One Gap or a couple lesser rifles

I think one quality rifle would be a very good choice.

As the saying goes - beware of the man with one gun.

Keep the Ruger 10/22s and Remington 710. You ever get a GAP and you're in divorce court for sneaking in rifes, scopes, reloading stuff into the house to feed your "disease".

If your gonna go custom get EXACTLY what you want. that way you wont regret not getting this option or that option. get the rifle built to make you happy. yes, there is a definitive difference in the whole package in a good custom and just a factory rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the saying goes - beware of the man with one gun. </div></div>

This is very true, ever heard of the the saying "Quality over quantity", sell those other ones off if they are of no value to you, order the GAP and shoot the living hell out of it. Burn the barrel out, then have then chamber another one. Become proficient with that one rifle, then once your form has developed add more.

OR

Just sell those other ones off, buy a stock Rem or Win, or Savage for the cheap, and practice. Decisions, decisions. If it were me, I would more than likely go for the GAP, good gear generally boosts confidence which in the end will probably make you a better shooter, hence, you can only blame yourself for poor fundamentals.

I think of this issue often. If most of the rifles sitting in the safe weren't black rifles that may be banned someday, I'd sell them and get a GAP 260 in a heart beat.

Get the Gap, buy lots of ammo and good glass, shoot the living hell out of it like Jester8 said.

For me I try to ignore GAP. They only make me want to spend more money. If and when I can afford one I would like them to build me a bad ass M40. Untill I get a big raise or win the lotto I will just not look at them or listen to how great they are.LOL If I see or hear too much I would max out my credit card !!LOL

If it comes to having 3 good rifles or 1 GAP I would go with just one GAP....

I've always liked the "beware of the man with one gun" and am definatly a quality over quantity sorta guy. I would rather have one quality rifle with one quality optic than 4 or more cheapos

Ok, here is my opinion. I say a lot of this decision will depend where you are at in your shooting 'career' If you have done a lot and know what you want in a custom rifle, then I say go for a GAP right now, sell the others and get exactly what you want like stated above. However, if you are not to that level yet, where you know exactly what you are wanting, but thinking just a custom rifle would be the ticket, I would say, get a starter rifle, and shoot a bunch, until you understand exactly what folks are talking about why they like this or that... Then sell the other rifles, and send the starter to GAP to be built how you want it. Take it from me, I have part ADD, so I just jumped in and bought a very expensive switch barrel rifle. Then a very expensive carbon fiber rifle, and what I end up with is not exactly what I had thought I wanted before I started shooting some. I have since shot a bit more, and learned what I really needed to make this game better for me, what fits me and what I want. Now, if you do buy a GAP right away, you will get one hell of a fine stick, I would just say if you aren't 100% sure what exactly you want, then buy one that is at least common and popular so you can resell it when you do learn what exactly you want. That is one of the great thing about GAP rifles, is they hold their value well. If you are having to sell off all your other firearms to buy one good one, just make sure it is what you want, or at the minimum what other people want.

That was a long and drawn out post.. sorry

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tylermtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the crap, buy the GAP </div></div>

very well put.

Besides, how much range time do you really have? Out of that very rare time, how much do you want to divide up between a bunch of mediocre rifles verses shooting one dream rifle?

Put another way, do you want to have a bunch of mediocre sports cars to drive on your time off or do you want to spend that precious time driving your very own custom Lamborghini?

I personally like to reload for several different calibers. I think i would go crazy with just one rifle. There is no question GAP builds good stuff, but so does a lot of other smiths here on the site, and most are a damn sight cheaper to own. I will have a GAP one day!!! But for now, I have a family to raise and an addiction to feed. I like giving my money to the smaller guy that doing his best to build his reputation. Now if George would acknowlede that we are family and cut me a brake I would by only GAP rifles!! Thanks Lee Gardner. (skeetlee)

I personally like to reload for several different calibers. I think i would go crazy with just one rifle. There is no question GAP builds good stuff, but so does a lot of other smiths here on the site, and most are a damn sight cheaper to own. I will have a GAP one day!!! But for now, I have a family to raise and an addiction to feed. I like giving my money to the smaller guy that doing his best to build his reputation. Now if George would acknowledge that we are family and cut me a brake I would by only GAP rifles!! Thanks Lee Gardner. (skeetlee)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep the Ruger 10/22s and Remington 710. You ever get a GAP and you're in divorce court for sneaking in rifes, scopes, reloading stuff into the house to feed your "disease". </div></div>

+1 all the way. I bought one, 3 months later, I had another built. Just got that in November, at the same time the Badger actions were available. Now, I'm sending in my Badger action and misc parts to have GAP build another. I still have a 338 surgeon for them to build as soon as the Badger comes back. So much for that Night Rod I wanted to buy. Hell, after these rifles are all built, I could be riding that motorcycle. Is there counseling for GAP owners?

Same Point in my life. Joined the "Training Subscription" and realized I had alot of so-so rifles and pistols and shotguns. I found the gap rifle already set up to go, just had to add funds. Being a salesman and belive me sales are down..To the tone of a bout 15K this past year, monies are tight... I traded in a Beretta Xtrema (may never duck hunt?) Marlin 1894 cowboy LNIB 357 ( what was this for anyway)and I have a few others on the chopping block.. This way when the $6K bite is done I will have a rifle that I concentrate on shooting with and not constantly beatiing myself up about "if I only had one of those" and "tell me why I have 15-20 or so other firearms laying about??? I say Bite the bullet and get the GAP. you will always find lesser firearms to make the deals on when the opportunity and funds are right. Meanwhile you are shooting and building all your marksmanship skills with quality components and not second guessing you gear or making excuses for it..
Jusy my opinion.
Thank you,
George of the Jungle

Once you get the urge for a GAP or other custom built rifle, it doesn't go away. The only cure is to call George and place your order - you only live once!!!

From June through November of last year I sold off about 15 rifles, pistols, shotguns and revolvers as well as numerous 2nd tier scopes and all unused accessories in order to fund 3 customs and glass to match. Got one, waiting on completion of the other two, and could not be happier.