• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One mile shot with 7saum Thunderbeast 30p-1

Skyking

Skyking
Minuteman
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jS7J4dbiQ&feature=share"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jS7J4dbiQ&feature=share" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nosler Brass
CCI-BR2 Primers
65.5 Retumbo
Berger 168 VLD's
COAL 2.937
3160Fps

Specs:
-BigHorn Tactical short action
-Bighorn Bolt knob
-Bighorn 20 MOA base
-Schneider 28 inch, fluted, David Tubb contour.
-MMI-Trutec Melonited black barrel
-Cerakoted black.
-AICS stock bedded with Devcon
-Jewell Trigger
-Nightforce 5.5x22x50 Highspeed, zero stop, NP2-DD
-Nightforce low rings
-Mounting Solutions level
-Harris notched 6x9 swivel bipod
-Tactical Works stock pad.
-Thunderbeast 30p-1
-Tab Gear suppressor cover
-Alpha Mag

Re: One mile shot with 7saum Thunderbeast 30p-1

wow, very nicely done-both the videography and throwing lead! Thanks for putting this up!

skyking, what are your thoughts on the 168 vs the 180 grain?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skyking, what are your thoughts on the 168 vs the 180 grain?</div></div>

I like the 180's. I shoot them in my 7wsm. I found that 168 take up less room in the case so I can seat them out longer for more speed. I found that shooting the 168 at 3160 fps they beat the 180 going 2970fps with my wsm. If I shoot more then 1000 yards I would use the wsm with the 180's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skyking, what are your thoughts on the 168 vs the 180 grain?</div></div>

I like the 180's. I shoot them in my 7wsm. I found that 168 take up less room in the case so I can seat them out longer for more speed. I found that shooting the 168 at 3160 fps they beat the 180 going 2970fps with my wsm. If I shoot more then 1000 yards I would use the wsm with the 180's. </div></div>
I see, thanks. I am looking at acquiring a 7mm saum in a 26 inch barrel and am not sure which is the way to go. Seems like you're saying the extra velocity of the 168 clinches. People seem to love that 180 though. Maybe I should do a 180 7 wsm? Would be interested in your thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skyking, what are your thoughts on the 168 vs the 180 grain?</div></div>

I like the 180's. I shoot them in my 7wsm. I found that 168 take up less room in the case so I can seat them out longer for more speed. I found that shooting the 168 at 3160 fps they beat the 180 going 2970fps with my wsm. If I shoot more then 1000 yards I would use the wsm with the 180's. </div></div>
I see, thanks. I am looking at acquiring a 7mm saum in a 26 inch barrel and am not sure which is the way to go. Seems like you're saying the extra velocity of the 168 clinches. People seem to love that 180 though. Maybe I should do a 180 7 wsm? Would be interested in your thoughts.</div></div>

It depends on if you are building on a short or long action. I think the 180 are the better choice, if you can get the 180's over 3000fps. My 7saum would hit pressure with the 180's before I could get them over 3000fps. The long action guys are able to seat them out where they need to be to get the extra speed.

The 7wsm can get the 180's over 3000fps, but the accuracy was not there.

This was my first wildcat and wanted to give it a try, and do something different. It is really a flat shooting gun.

This is the dope I used in the video

Station Pressure 25.24
Temp 73
Humidity 35
MV 3168fps

1000 yards 19.3
900 16.2
800 13.5
700 11.0
600 8.6

Skyking, I finally got the SAUM AI finished. Was able to push the SMK 180's to 3100 out of the Surgeon short action. Backed it off to 3050 just due to rediculously low ES of 3fps. How are you liking the 35 degree shoulder? How did your dies turn out? Im still waiting on my dies.