• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One more red pill to add to the pile

The D

We’re not supposed to be nice!
Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020

I’ve been banging this drum for a while and I will continue to do so.

I'm also pretty outspoken about some variation of low carb/high fat diets. But I’ve recently come across a diet hypothesis that says metabolic health is not about glucose/insulin but mostly about mitochondrial function in every cell of your body. The more efficiently mitochondria can produce atp, the better everything in your body will perform. And lo and behold, heavily refined seed oils are nothing but poison for mitochondria

Where is the lard coming from? There could still be some PUFAs(polyunsaturated fats, the bad shit) in the lard. Monogastric animals(like humans) store excess PUFA in body fat(like lard). Ruminant animals have a magical way of processing PUFA out of what they eat so switching to tallow or butter could be a little better

An even better option would be to mix up some of your own butter oil with stearic acid. There’s a link within this link of a study that shows stearic acid improving mitochondrial function

Is Avocado oil a seed oil or is it ok?
    Avocado oil is obtained like olive oil, from the flesh so it’s definitely not as bad as the seed oils from the list in the op. It’s better but not as good as tallow because it has more unsaturated fat. It can also be cut with vegetable/seed oil(this can be a big problem with olive oil as well) to be more profitable.

My girls mother read some book that went hard on lectins, seeds, seed oils etc. She avoids all of that now.

Dr. Carnivore also talks about a bunch of stuff that we should avoid.
    Was that book called Toxic Superfoods by Dally Norton? That’s a great book if we’re not talking about the same one

Reactions: diverdon
    Avocado oil is obtained like olive oil, from the flesh so it’s definitely not as bad as the seed oils from the list in the op. It’s better but not as good as tallow because it has more unsaturated fat. It can also be cut with vegetable/seed oil(this can be a big problem with olive oil as well) to be more profitable.

Was that book called Toxic Superfoods by Dally Norton? That’s a great book if we’re not talking about the same one
    I don't believe so. It's an older book I know that much.

Reactions: The D
    Virgin olive oil is my go to. Greek if it can be found,. Avocado is good as well.

Reactions: The D
    Good to know. I have read that up to 80% of olive oil sold in stores is not authentic olive oil. Anyone know how to tell what brands are real and which are not?

Reactions: diverdon and The D
    Good to know. I have read that up to 80% of olive oil sold in stores is not authentic olive oil. Anyone know how to tell what brands are real and which are not?
    Read the label. Most of what I see is pure olive oil. Its nto real good fro frying, which I dont do much of anyway, as if the temp gets to high the oil gets a nasty taste.

@Nik H might contribute to this thread.

Reactions: Redlion

Just one article I found. The easiest way to avoid this nonsense is to eat animal fat instead of plant fat. Just my biased opinion though

Read the label. Most of what I see is pure olive oil. Its nto real good fro frying, which I dont do much of anyway, as if the temp gets to high the oil gets a nasty taste.

@Nik H might contribute to this thread.
    I would tend to doubt the 80% figure. Not sure where that comes from.

Once bottled it is difficult to tell. I generally only use the olive oil sent to me from the family farm in Greece. However, this year I have had to supplement with store-bought.

Believe it or not, COSTCO Extra Virgin Olive Oil is some of the finest olive oil on the market and is very reasonably priced to boot. In the olive oil world, the high-dollar stuff you see in stores is not worth it. The quality of the oil is very dependent on the quality of the olives and the lack of processing. The source of the olives is not always disclosed. If you see "produced in" in the origin statement of the label, it means your olives can come from anywhere. The oil likely does not come from the country where the olives are from.

As @Maggot points out, olive oil is not meant for frying, especially, the EVOO type. It cannot handle the temperature of frying. I seldom eat fried food but when I do I generally fry in lard that I get at a local farm. I do occasionally use Canola Oil as well. The Zerohedge article is like most Zerohedge articles. I don't put much belief in what I read but heavily processed food items in anything but small quantities are something to avoid. It is just common sense.

Last edited:
    People tend to believe what they want to believe. Anything I'd put up would start a firestorm of (not) arguments. Do your own research.

Personally, I dont eat any pork products. Just dont care for it, prefer fish or beef.

Last edited:
    Anything I'd put up would start a firestorm of (not) arguments. Do your own research.
    C’mon man, that’s a fucking copout. Have you ever seen me shy away from an argument?

Personally I see variety and moderation to the keys to food intake. Follow up with some form of activity....get off your butt.

Cutting this or that out, unless it is processed foods is likely going to leave a hole in something the human animal needs.

Just be smart about what you eat, and chances are you will be fine......if you can stay away from meds.

Personally I see variety and moderation to the keys to food intake. Follow up with some form of activity....get off your butt.

Cutting this or that out, unless it is processed foods is likely going to leave a hole in something the human animal needs.

Just be smart about what you eat, and chances are you will be fine......if you can stay away from meds.
    This. Moderation in all.

C’mon man, that’s a fucking copout. Have you ever seen me shy away from an argument?
    Call it what yo like I just dont care to get into a long series of "you quoted this source so Ill quote this source" And pages later nothing is proven or resolved.

Like I said, people tend to believe what they want to believe and reason seldom changes minds.

I've read that sort of thing too. I've done a little follow up and concluded that outright counterfeit olive oil is not actually very common.

What's more common with olive oil is oil that is miss graded or older than it should be. You never want olive oil more than a year old. Likely if you take a sip and it makes you feel like pepper in the back of your throat with over all good Flavor it's good.

I think marketers for so-called super premium brands like to put those counterfeit olive oil stories out there to create fear to drive people to their higher priced products.

That's OK if that's what you want. But plenty of mid priced olive oil is pretty good. Just make sure it's cold pressed EVO.

Reactions: Maggot
    A few sites that talk about the dangers of seed oils. They’re pretty intense but very good

I've read that sort of thing too. I've done a little follow up and concluded that outright counterfeit olive oil is not actually very common.

What's more common with olive oil is oil that is miss graded or older than it should be. You never want olive oil more than a year old. Likely if you take a sip and it makes you feel like pepper in the back of your throat with over all good Flavor it's good.

I think marketers for so-called super premium brands like to put those counterfeit olive oil stories out there to create fear to drive people to their higher priced products.

That's OK if that's what you want. But plenty of mid priced olive oil is pretty good. Just make sure it's cold pressed EVO.
    A couple years back I was lucky to get a bit of olive oil that came direct form the Peloponnesian region of Greece. It had a distinctive light, pleasant, bite like you spoke of. I found some similar from Sam's Club of all places.

Reactions: diverdon
    This is why come Christmas I'm frying my turkey in lard. Avocodo is good but whooooo boy are they proud of that shit.
    Fry it in tallow. I’m not a big fan of poultry but that’s a turkey I’d definitely eat

My girls mother read some book that went hard on lectins, seeds, seed oils etc. She avoids all of that now.

Dr. Carnivore also talks about a bunch of stuff that we should avoid.
    Who is Dr Carnivore? Or, which one specifically?

Who is Dr Carnivore? Or, which one specifically?
    https://www.paulsaladinomd.co/

This dood. I think he and the other docs that have talked about this stuff are on to something. I haven't tried such a diet yet, but the guys that have are claiming great health results.

On a similar vein, I did keto for about 6 months a few years back. I noticed I had more energy, lost weight (caloric deficit most likely), and no more acid reflux. I mentioned it to my PCP and she was like "Yeah you know it's amazing what happens when you only eat what you were made to" lol.

Reactions: The D and Jgunner
    https://www.paulsaladinomd.co/

This dood. I think he and the other docs that have talked about this stuff are on to something. I haven't tried such a diet yet, but the guys that have are claiming great health results.

On a similar vein, I did keto for about 6 months a few years back. I noticed I had more energy, lost weight (caloric deficit most likely), and no more acid reflux. I mentioned it to my PCP and she was like "Yeah you know it's amazing what happens when you only eat what you were made to" lol.
    I’ve listened to his podcast almost since he started it. His stuff is awesome. Have you been paying attention to his newest stuff though? He’s added fruit and honey back into his diet. He was having trouble sleeping and some cramping problems. He has talked to a few people that advocate for some form of carbs that are pretty interesting, most recently being Jay Feldman