• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One of those rare great range days (beginners report)

Frgood

One Sec.
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2019
Apopka, FL (Orlando area)
Beginners report -

Today I took out my Tikka T3 A1 and for the first time I was alone getting off the 100yd. sight in phase. The range has a mix of 300yds. But my goal was to feel confident to get access, through a qualification session, to our brand new 900 yd. range. By new, I mean it is in the process of being opened up as we speak and I'll be one of the early guinea pugs of the qualification test.

As the rifle has been mainly moved from spot to spot within my office, I started with simply setting up the rifle and seeing if it still had zero. Slapped up an NRA SR-21C at 100 and proceed to monkey around with the rear bag as this was all prone. Side note, I have got to figure out what my criteria will be for my rear bag. Too much swapping around trying to get a comfortable height. Three shots, 1, 2, 3. all inside the X and almost touching.

SWEET!

Feeling confident, I pulled out the Kestrel and simply got the Temp and air density( humidity?). It was 86 degrees, felt like 92 in the shade, and I get an elevation of 1.05 for the 297 yd steel torso. Gotta get more cotton rags, I'm dripping all over the cheek rest. Turned onto the Steel Torso. First shot I hear the twang and watch the target twist in the impact.

Aww, Nuts. I forgot to adjust my Bushnell XRS II.

I figure what the H. and simply pull up 1 mil on the Tremor reticle. I watch the next two shots hit exactly on my POA. Spot on. At this point, I'm not quiting while ahead; I am extremely confident in this rifle as every shot felt great, every shot was on the mark, and I have completely melted into a puddle. So 30 Minutes after arriving, I pack up and head home. But not until I get the phone number of the man who will qualify on the longer range. I need to schedule it this week.

This rifle must be very forgiving as it amazes me to the point, dare I say, of boredom. Aside from trying to remember all the things I've learned so far, I did walk away with a couple innocuous notes. (1) - Pack more cotton rags, the cheek rest got slippery real quick as I was so darn hot. (2) I like the trigger pull weight. On another rifle, A Bergara action/barrel on an MPA frame with a Diamond trigger (.75 ), that trigger is far too light and the rifle is less forgiving as it has considerably less weight than the Tikka for my skill.

While I don't think I'm ready for the ranges first PRS match next month, I definitely feel I am on my way. No problems, no issues, and zero drama make for one of those rare great perfect range days. Now If I could get my smoker working by tomorrow I'll be a happy Father.

Happy Fathers Day Everyone!

just get your dope, and go to a match, you can always find a reason not to go

Reactions: Frgood
My bad. The Tikka has a magazine and, after my third bourbon, I mangled my brain. This should be in bolt action but I'm not an admin.
If it is any consolation, I do have an AR-10 build sitting on my bench.

My bad. The Tikka has a magazine and, after my third bourbon, I mangled my brain. This should be in bolt action but I'm not an admin.
If it is any consolation, I do have an AR-10 build sitting on my bench.
I have a POF Revolution for my nighttime hog plinker and a RRA LAR-8 I use for a daytime hog plinker....and a couple of Tikka T3s that are tack drivers.....however I am more interested in the bourbon, whatcha drinking?😁