• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes One-off USO 5-25 PSR prototype

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
Well, I posted this previously but pulled the post due to concerns about whether it should be public or not. After talking with JBW#3 I am reassured that its not too secret squirrel for public viewing (actually he said I should post some pics).

I reccently traded into a USO 5-25. When it got here I noticed something peculiar-the Erek has a knurled lock ring, as does the windage turret. When I noticed these, I posted pics, because I've never seen these before (and I've seen a USO or two).
Shortly after posting the pics, Doc76251 let me know that what I had in my possesion was a prototype scope built for submission for the SOCOM PSR (Precsison Sniper Rifle) that is currently being solicited. At the time I was advised I may want to keep it on the down-low.

Other than the lock rings on the adjustment turrets, its was pointed out to me that the Erek was an 11 mil setup, intead of the 9mils usually found on USO's. Aditionally, although it is marked and sized as a double turn Erek, it will only complete one revolution. This is another spec that is called for for the USASOC day optic-a single turn turret for the ballistics of M118 and A191 to their effective ranges (hence the 11 mil turn-A191 is spec'd for 10.6 mil to 1100m).

As far as the scopes submitted for this project, doc76251 had this to say:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, USO was the only application to hit all the bench marks for the scope in June which was the deadline. Since no other optical company achieved the designed requirements the tests were pushed off until Sept and further. Read into that what you will.

Cheers,

Doc</div></div>

Anyway, for those interested, here's an excerpt of the requirements for submitted scopes:

<span style="font-style: italic">H92222-09-PSR
Draft Performance Specification
26 Jan 2009

3.2.5.7.1.2 USASOC Scope, Dial In Method. <span style="font-weight: bold">All telescope turret adjustments will be in mils and
tenths of mils </span>(T), (KPP). The USASOC Scope <span style="font-weight: bold">will exhibit tactile clicks on windage and elevation
turrets (</span>T), (KSA). Both windage and elevation <span style="font-weight: bold">turrets will exhibit a performance feature of
“Single Turn Turret”</span> (T), (KSA) – a feature that allows the Operator to achieve the preponderance
of elevation and windage needs within one single turn (10mils), but also allows the Operator to
completely dial in his range needs if desired.
As examples of Single Turn Turret (minimum 10 mil/revolution):
M118LR, 2640fps, BC .505, 800m Max Eff Range = elevation 8.4 mils
A191, 3000fps, BC .533, 1100m Max Eff Range = elevation 10.6 mils
.338, 300gr HPBT, 2800fps, BC .768, 1500m Max Eff Range = elevation 16.7 mils
<span style="font-weight: bold">The USASOC Scope must have Zero Stops on both windage and elevation </span>(T), (KSA). The intent
is that the USASOC Scope allows the Operator to use graduated reticles on a 100m Zero (Zero Stop
at 100m zero) and utilize exclusively mil reticle Hold Off for all ranges, or the Operator may choose
to Dial In the complete range elevation need, or a combination of both. It is critical that the
Operator can easily identify what revolution he is on without going back to Zero Stop and dialing
up (T), (KPP).
3.2.5.7.1.3 USASOC Scope, Hold Off Method. <span style="font-weight: bold">The USASOC Scope shall have a lockable
elevation turret </span>(T), (KSA), allowing Operator confidence when using the Hold Off method that the
zero has not been disturbed since the turret was locked. The USASOC Scope should have ability to
zero and Zero Lock without tools (OPA). The USASOC Scope will have a streamlined Windage
Turret (Zero use only, normally capped) (OPA). The USASOC Scope will have a mil-graduated
grid reticle that facilitates immediate lead and range Hold Off for rapid target engagement (T),
(KPP), the Horus H37© being one commercial example. The USASOC Scope will not contain
proprietary reticle patterns that would inhibit open architecture (O), or there will, at minimum, be
contractual terms for the government, through licensing agreement or other consideration, to
acquire any proprietary reticle patterns and achieve open architecture (T), (G-NG).
3.2.5.7.1.4 USASOC Scope, MRS. The USASOC Scope shall have a means to utilize the
SOPMOD MRS (O) or other means of urgent, close-range, day/night self defensive aiming (T),
(KPP).
3.2.5.7.1.5 USASOC Scope, Parallax Adjustment. <span style="font-weight: bold">Manual parallax adjustments, if any, will be
collocated with the windage and elevation turrets </span>(OPA).
3.2.5.7.1.6 USASOC Scope, Power and Reticle Rleation to Power. The USASOC Scope should be
of variable power (T), (KPP). <span style="font-weight: bold">The lower power setting should be, 5 power (-1x, +3x) power (T) or
less (O) on lowest power. The highest power setting should be and 25 power (-1x or +1x) (T) or
greater (O) on highest power. The USASOC Scope must have its reticle in the first focal plane (T),
(KPP)</span>.</span>

You never know what cool stuff you will run into on the 'hide's PX!!

The scope specs out like this:

SN3-2500

T-Pal Left
58mm T-PAL
EREK 1/10 MIL
-11 mil/turn
-knurled locking ring
U.S. #3 1/10 MIL With Windage Stop
-knurled locking rings
35mm main tube
Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
Mil-Scale MPR reticle, Illuminated Red
Lo Profile Housing
Rapid Focus Eyepiece

Here's some pics:

efce4093.jpg

e172b1ed.jpg

3eaa9cde.jpg

1f717bb5.jpg

Re: One-off USO 5-25 PSR prototype

Cant tell if Sober is selling or not but if he is......

For you guys that drool over one of stuff and prototype stuff listed in Canfield's or Brophy's books this is your chance. Even if USO doesn't nail the contract there are several entities that were taken with this optic. Rest assured that this scope has received special attention as a contract contender. For those that always wanted a USO with a "zero stop" here is your chance.

Cheers,

Doc

doc-
I'm not posting it to sell it, just share!
I discussed the scope with JBW#3, and he actually siad "you should post some pics".

I guess anything's for sale, if the price is right, but I don't see this going anywhere soon. I doubt if anyone wants it badly enough to trade a GAP 260 with a plain old 3.2-17 Ergo attached, but if they did.........they know where to find me
wink.gif

How in the hell did any scope survive military testing?

I have a MK4 calling your name homo.... I'll even pay shipping....

Very neat find Sobr. Wonder how it wandered into the market... Sure don't want much in a trade!!!

If I was posting to trade it it would be in a different forum kids.

From what I can figure, this one was built to be submitted along with a weapon system that either didn't get submitted or didn't pass the go-no go specs....

J-only if its attached to an unfired Kopfjaeger fag!!

Whatever... You'll never assimilate to mils. Hand it over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was posting to trade it it would be in a different forum kids.

From what I can figure, this one was built to be submitted along with a weapon system that either didn't get submitted or didn't pass the go-no go specs....

J-only if its attached to an unfired Kopfjaeger fag!!
</div></div>

Actually it was submitted as an alternate, just in case EVERYONE was not enamored with graph paper as a reticle. I'll let your minds wander on that one.

That is truly a special scope and Sober is well ahead of the game to keep it. His "trade" price is VERY reasonable. FWIW, the guy that did the lock rings made it very clear it was a royal PITA to build and unless Uncle said he wanted a metric butt ton of them there wouldn't be a production model available.

Cheers,

Doc

How did you come to own that scope?

It seems odd the USO would sell it, or even let out on the open market, if it's a prototype.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you come to own that scope? </div></div>

I hope the tone of your question that lends any sense of inpropriety to my acquisition of this scope is just me reading more into what you typed than is there....

FWIW-I received it in a trade, and while negotiating the trade I sent JBW#3 the SN of the scope. If it were to rustle any feathers I'd imagine that would have been the time for it.

Actually John's exact words just today were:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the lock rings will limit the travel a little, but you can mess with the center screw to get your elavation travel where you want it.

Have fun with her!
John III
P.S. Pretty cool to have a totally one off scope! You should post pictures.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is truly a special scope and Sober is well ahead of the game to keep it. His "trade" price is VERY reasonable. FWIW, the guy that did the lock rings made it very clear it was a royal PITA to build and unless Uncle said he wanted a metric butt ton of them there wouldn't be a production model available.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

There goes my plan of taking a dremel to the lock ring and shooting the scope with coyote alumnahydeII..........

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">you suck and.....</span></span>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbVKWCpNFhY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbVKWCpNFhY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot the whole "crank it to 11", ha!! </div></div>

Is there anything else..????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you come to own that scope? </div></div>

I hope the tone of your question that lends any sense of inpropriety to my acquisition of this scope is just me reading more into what you typed than is there....

FWIW-I received it in a trade, and while negotiating the trade I sent JBW#3 the SN of the scope. If it were to rustle any feathers I'd imagine that would have been the time for it.
</div></div>
It is your interpretation of my post that leads you to think I’m accusing you of any impropriety.

I’m not accusing you of anything in the acquisition of that scope. You’ve got, in my estimation, a very valuable scope; much, much more valuable than <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> other 5-25x56 USO scopes.

My “tone” as you put it, was one more of incredulity. You have to admit, prototype models of anything almost always stay in house.

I’m proud for you and your good luck as I’ve come to like you on the board. You’ve stepped up and helped me on more than one occasion, whereas others stepped <span style="font-style: italic">ON</span> me.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">I apologize for offending you, as that was the farthest thing from my mind when I submitted that post</span></span>.

Really cool scope Steve!!!

Too bad it doesn't have that H-37 grid paper reticle.That would put it up in the "REALLY Really Cool" category.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really cool scope Steve!!!

Too bad it doesn't have that H-37 grid paper reticle.That would put it up in the "REALLY Really Cool" category.

Steve </div></div>
Are you kiddin'? That's a prototype. It's 1 of 1 made! That qualifies as REALLY FUCKIN' COOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For you guys that drool over one of stuff and prototype stuff listed in Canfield's or Brophy's books this is your chance. Even if USO doesn't nail the contract there are several entities that were taken with this optic. Rest assured that this scope has received special attention as a contract contender. For those that always wanted a USO with a "zero stop" here is your chance.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>
Actually it was submitted as an alternate, just in case EVERYONE was not enamored with graph paper as a reticle. I'll let your minds wander on that one.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

This keeps running through my head and now, a couple weeks later, I am actually debating if I shouldn't see if I can't trade it out for a couple scopes that would better suit my needs, and let someone that would cherish it for posterity do so.

I wonder if I should seek medical treatment for my ADD........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wonder if I should seek medical treatment for my ADD........ </div></div>

Yup!!

This is just sick. I'm sure that there are many here that would love to see this scope hit the civilian market. I love my USO and this proto has everything that I could only dream to upgrade. Good luck to USO on their contract bid. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and for us who can only drool at this point.

USO supplied the same scope to us with a horus reticle for the rifles built by John Pierce on his actions and our RT10 chassis, they were built for a major defense supplier to be submitted to the PSR program for testing, they later pulled the plug on the program, (they decided not to go into small arms) dont know what became of the systems, that may be one of them.

Thanks Gary, actually I think this one was slated for a submission by McRee that never happened. A Pierce actioned RT10 with this scope would be a HELLUVA system!
By the way-one day I will be trying your RT10, just gotta get outta this crappy economy first!

It is definately a helluva scope! Before I knew what I had I almost took a dremel to the lock rings
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess anything's for sale, if the price is right, but I don't see this going anywhere soon. I doubt if anyone wants it badly enough to trade a GAP 260 with a plain old 3.2-17 Ergo attached, but if they did.........they know where to find me
wink.gif
. </div></div>
Or a pair of SN3-1700 Ergo's with lit MPR mil reticles......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
. </div></div>
Or a pair of SN3-1700 Ergo's with lit MPR mil reticles...... </div></div>

How about a lung? Who needs 2 anyway!

Steve,

You have a decked out 3.2-17x ERGO with Horus lit reticle waiting on you...
laugh.gif