• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One on one Training in Texas

dhutch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
Frisco, TX
Who does one on one training in Texas? I live in College Station, so travel to Houston/Austin/DFW area's is no biggy. Most likely this would need to be done on a weekend since I work Mon-Fri.

Background info:

Sgt. in the United States Army
Qual Expert on M16 and M9 consistently
Familiar with marksmanship basics

What I'd Like to learn:

Long range shooting out to 1000yds
Ranging with Mil Dots/Dashes
Dialing in with elevation and windage

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks guys n gals!

ETA: My current precision rig is as follows:

Remington 700P .308 SA
H&S Precision Stock
CDI Precision DBM with AI Mags
Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 with Mil Dash Recticle
GG&G Flat Base
GG&G Rings

Re: One on one Training in Texas

+1 For Jacob at Rifles Only. Went out there in 2008 for 5 days and WOW! I learned more in 5 minutes about pistol shooting than I have from the whole rest of my life. The precision rifle training was top notch, and the carbine work was waaaaaaaaaay beyond anything I've ever had the opportunity to do before. Great stuff!
Enter humble with an empty cup and you'll go home a much better shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">P.S. - you might want to put a 20 MOA base on that puppy. On a flat base, that scope won't dial to 1000 yards. </div></div>

Already got one ordered
grin.gif
My current base and rings came free from the shop the rifle was purchased at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill Davidson...</div></div>

Spelling alert: Bill's last name is Davison.

i have been looking into going to rifles only as i live in houston. it is awesome how close i am to such a premier school. I am a BEGINEER rifleman, so should i do one on one with jacob or do a basic school.... the schools scheduling is a PIA becuase it runs through the week and never on holiday breaks. would i learn more attending a one on one for sat and sunday or attending a 5 day school??? thanks for the help.

Well, that's basically your call. It's less expensive to attend a regular class in general - but if you're a highly-paid professional who would lose work hours to attend a regular class during the week, private instruction might actually be more cost effective.

There is less dead time in private instruction - and that's both good and bad, because you're going to get a lot of information thrown at you in a short period of time, and you'll have less rest and downtime since you're the only one shooting.

I'd recommend a regular class - either Precision Rifle 1 or a PR1/2 combination - if you can fit it into your schedule. The camaraderie of a regular class is rewarding and fun. And it means that you don't have to ask all the dumb questions yourself...
laugh.gif

That makes sense. Summer would be easier for me to find time to get out there. And I haven't seen a schedule for the summer yet. Thanks for your response

Save your money and go with a course before the one on one instruction.

When I contacted rifles only a couple years back for the same type of training they wanted $400 a day.

Rifles Only has never asked for $400 a day on private instruction. The highest it has been is what it is currently at and that is $350 a day. Private instruction is for those who do not have the time off or the time to actually attend a scheduled class. It is also 1 on 1 with the instructor which in some cases is better. However attending a class no matter where it is you have that group involvement. You can learn off of each other as well as the instructors. At Rifles Only we try not to go above 5 students per instructor in each class. Typically it is less than that. Do what is best for you to learning no matter where it is or what type of set-up. It is about where you think you can learn the most! Most of the PI done here is because people can not make it to the scheduled classes or they want that one on one teaching. Everyone is different and that is why it is offered :)! If you have any questions just let me know or you can contact Jacob directly.
Have a good one!
Lisa

LOL...that is funny! YourMotherTrebek, no worries! I just didn't want there to be any misinformation. It's all good :)!

Rifles Only +1

Either way private or class instruction, be prepared:

Have a working zeroed rilfe

Have all the tools to work on your rifle/scope (wrenchs, drivers etc..)

Basic kit shooting mat, bags, etc..

A thurst for knowledge, you will have a "Metric Ass Ton"
of information presented, stay focused and have fun!

Stop going to the Dixie Chicken, Yesterdays and save up, mean while the online training is an excellent resource, use it until you get down to Kingsville.

Do they offer training in the winter? I just looked at their site and only have dates listed a couple months out. Also, how far in advance do I have to sign up and prepay - I assume the classes fill up quickly.

You can get training at Rifles Only all year around.

Open classes are not listed very far in advance on the training schedule simply because military and L.E. classes, which are given higher priority for scheduling and are not listed on the training calendar, are often scheduled within relatively short time frames.

So, call with your questions.

http://www.RiflesOnly.com

I did 3 days of private instruction with Jacob this past summer and it was amazing how much I learned. My yearly "gift to myself" is now going to be an annual trip to R.O.

I too would like to take one of the week classes, but it is much easier with my work schedule to get everything in in a private instruction session. I should have enough pennies saved to get my 2010 class in this fall.

I've been in LE since 2000 and taken tons of firearms training....there is nothing that compares to what you will learn at R.O. You cannot go wrong with Jacob.

I handle all the training for my Department and will for the multi-jurisdictional Tac-Team that we are currently forming. Currently working on 2011 budgets for both and R.O. is on the top of both lists for my guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diver95b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jay with NTRP is good too go.

http://www.northtexasrifleprecision.com/ </div></div>
+1 reloading and shooting, his price is very affordable for shooters on a budget, compared to a lot of other courses that just teach basic shooting fundamentals. He will show you how to reload for precision and shoot.

Hey guys I live in the Houston area, and I'm looking at trying to learn some with the long range shots. If anyone wants to try and just have a range day to spread the wealth of knowledge then count me in. I have been looking at trying to attend a class, but wanted to be sure to get my moneys worth out of it. Pm me if anyone is interested in a range day.