• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes One piece base vs. two piece?

Asmodeus

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I recently picked up a 700 Tactical in a trade deal. It's got a 10X Super Sniper in Badger Medium rings on Badger two piece bases.

I've always much preferred the 1-piece base, and I have an EGW one piece rail for the 700 sitting here. Is it worth changing it ovver, or should I leave it as is.

I won't get a chance to shoot the rifle until this weekend.

Re: One piece base vs. two piece?

One piece is a bit more solid but makes loading a bit harder.
If you want built in base elevation (a 10 or 20 MOA base) you need 1 piece.
If you have a hinged floorplate 1 piece less of a pain.
For beaters I use one piece and Warne rings, about bullet proof.
For classy rifles nothing beats a S&K or Control setup.
If on a budget the good old Weaver steel rings and bases are cheap and will stand up to anything. My buddy has an ancient 416 Rigby Mauser that spent many moons in Africa (and looks like it) that carries a Weaver K2.5 post & CH in Weaver rings and bases that laid low many a buff. All the screws are put in with iodine
(pre locktite method). It always goes bang and nothing has ever loosend up. So much for progress!

one piece base is more sturdy than 2 piece

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave it as is. </div></div>
+1 some on here including Mike from Tacops prefer the 2 piece! I've never seen Badger 2 piece unless someone cut them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave it as is. </div></div>
+1 some on here including Mike from Tacops prefer the 2 piece! I've never seen Badger 2 piece unless someone cut them? </div></div>

Error on my part; rings and bases are Burris Xtreme. I've decided to leave them in place as I am able to get proper eye relief by moving the scope as far forward as possible on the existing setup.

Remember its more important to lap you're rings if you use a 2 piece base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want built in base elevation (a 10 or 20 MOA base) you need 1 piece.
</div></div>

I have a NightForce 2 piece setup that is 20moa fwiw, not being a smart-ass just saying NF offers them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One piece is a bit more solid but makes loading a bit harder.
If you want built in base elevation (a 10 or 20 MOA base) you need 1 piece.
If you have a hinged floorplate 1 piece less of a pain.
For beaters I use one piece and Warne rings, about bullet proof.
For classy rifles nothing beats a S&K or Control setup.
If on a budget the good old Weaver steel rings and bases are cheap and will stand up to anything. My buddy has an ancient 416 Rigby Mauser that spent many moons in Africa (and looks like it) that carries a Weaver K2.5 post & CH in Weaver rings and bases that laid low many a buff. All the screws are put in with iodine
(pre locktite method). It always goes bang and nothing has ever loosend up. So much for progress! </div></div>

Cant recall them all right off the bat, but there are several makers who make 2 piece bases that are, in effect, canted.

You can get 10 and 20 minute bases both 1 and 2 pieces. 1 Piece is more ridid but even one piece bases need to be bedded or at least the rings lapped most of the time. 700 actions are rarely true front to back. Its easier to fix with a one piece base. Two pcs are very hard to get alinged. Its a tactical gun, get the one piece

Do rings, 1 or 2 piece, really need to be lapped all the time? I guess I have never lapped any of mine and haven't had any problems I know of. Then again all my setups but one are mounted on picatinny or weaver style rails... so does this eliminate the need for lapping. I also know NF says not to lap their rings.