• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One-piece bases for PRS/NRL

ZackW

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2023
Yukon, OK
I’m just starting to dip my toes into the long range/PRS/NRL hunter world. All of my hunting rifles have either talley or dmz one-piece base/ring setups. I’m planning to get a scope with a 34mm tube and will need some new rings. All of the setups I’ve seen online run a pic rail and rings. I understand that a rail & rings give you you a little more fore & aft mounting options, but is there any other reason for using separate components?

Arc is such a good mount especially for the cost. Not cheap but not a budget buster either and it’s literally one of the best out there.

Let me clarify, I’m not looking for suggestions, I’m looking to find out if there’s a reason NOT to run one-piece bases.

Definitely not necessary. I run two piece rings on all my bolt action hunting and competition rifles. 1 piece on my ar rifles.

Edited to add arc is still your best choice for the two piece also.

Let me clarify, I’m not looking for suggestions, I’m looking to find out if there’s a reason NOT to run one-piece bases.
Some actions ejection angle can hit the mount and stop the brass from ejecting. Weight, some actions with 2 peice or seperate bases can’t run them

I’m just starting to dip my toes into the long range/PRS/NRL hunter world. All of my hunting rifles have either talley or dmz one-piece base/ring setups. I’m planning to get a scope with a 34mm tube and will need some new rings. All of the setups I’ve seen online run a pic rail and rings. I understand that a rail & rings give you you a little more fore & aft mounting options, but is there any other reason for using separate components?

Adding inclination to your scope, which helps maximize elevation adjustment after zeroing at 100 yards.

On a rifle that could approach 25 lbs or more? Really? He specified PRS.

Ok, I see he said NRL hunter too. Yeah, if you’re at the edge of the weight limit for your class, a heavy mount could be the couple of ounces that put you over the edge. I kind of like that you have to think about weight in NRL hunter.

So, OP, depending on the game you choose to play, weight could be a concern. Rings will almost always save you a few ounces over a one piece mount. This could be the difference between making weight and being an RO for the match…

A pair of Talley one-piece mounts weigh 3oz, the arc rings alone weigh 6oz (per their websites) not including a rail. So I’m guessing that everyone is saying that separate rings & rail are much heavier? I suppose that comp guns are heavy and that additional weight would be advantageous.

Sorry also misread the question. As some have said, weight in NRLH, or weight (want more) in PRS, adding MOA to your scope if you need/want more. Also depending on what type of scope you’re trying to mount rings will be easier or give more flexibility. I.e. S&B 5-25, ZEISS S5, etc. certain one piece mounts give you more accessory options if you need them like a Spuhr.

On a rifle that could approach 25 lbs or more? Really? He specified PRS.

Ok, I see he said NRL hunter too. Yeah, if you’re at the edge of the weight limit for your class, a heavy mount could be the couple of ounces that put you over the edge. I kind of like that you have to think about weight in NRL hunter.

So, OP, depending on the game you choose to play, weight could be a concern. Rings will almost always save you a few ounces over a one piece mount. This could be the difference between making weight and being an RO for the match…
Shooting ROs if thats what you mean have to make weight too.