• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes One piece mount VS Rings?????

Punisher29073

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2012
White Knoll, SC
I just ordered a Bushnell G2DMR 3.5-21x50 for my DPMS LR260. It has the low profile receiver with the quadrail forend that matches up. This gun will be used for the occasional tree stand hunt but mostly as my first dedicated match rifle. I am waffling on the mounting system. The optic will be dedicated to this gun. I am currently working on load development for it, but the 142SMKs are looking promising so 12 mils of adjustment should get me to 1200 yards(not that I will ever be able to shoot that far). There is that much travel in the scope so I dont NEED a 20 MOA mount. I have no interest in QD mounts.

1) Is the one piece mount worth putting an extra $100 bucks into? I am looking at the Badger 20 MOA mount or ADM.

2) I was looking at the TPS TSR-W Steel Alloy rings. I have used these before and was content. Are these adequate for a scope this size or should I step up.

3) Am I better off with a $200 set of rings or $200 one piece mount is what it boils down to.

Money is an object in my world, albeit an scarce one. I cant afford a $400+ scope mount. I would like to be in the realm of $200 leaving me some money to buy the 3 P's.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have done searches and almost every thread degrades to "This is why you and yours suck!.......". I'd like your opinions. I promise not tell you why they suck and appreciate if everyone would do the same.

Ryan

I have heard good reviews of the burris/swfa 1 piece mount. Seems to be ok for the money.

I bought seekins rings for mounting a scope to AR. I figured if the scope goes down and I go to back up sights, there isn't much difference...1 or 2 screws.

Do you need a cantilevered base for eye relief reasons? Do you know about what height you need to maintain a solid cheekweld? I've never fired a shot through any "large frame AR", I guess you probably don't crowd the charging handle like a guy does on an AR-15.

If it were me and I could build a comfortable position without pushing the scope forward I would go with whatever rings you like. Seems to me you have more choices regarding height with rings. If you need to push it forward, can you find a height you can get along with, 34mm? If you can't mount at perfect height, can you build up cheekrest and clear charging handle? I guess I say, $200 rings or $200 mount? Go with what you need to fit the rifle to your face and body the best.

If you are going to do alot of your shooting out there like 500-1000 yards then I guess a 20moa mounts will allow you to be in the center of your scope when you dial up to get there. Is this very important? I don't know.

I'm sure I've just repeated all the stuff you've been fighting in your head. I just know for me I am finally learning it all has to fit and be comfortable. Read it over and over, finally starting to feel it. Haha