• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes One Piece or Two Piece Scope Mount for AR

GySgtMUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
NC
I am trying to decide the best path to go and wanted to turn to the experts. Looking to use a good mount on a flat top AR15 (5.56). Either a Larue type one piece or ARMS or Larue type two piece. Have also thought about getting some Badger or Mk4 rings and putting them on a QD rail mount but figure there is more room for failure there and will raise it too much. I want to be able to take the scope off an on to replace with Eotech. Planning to use a Mk4 MR/T eventually. I am trying to ensure durability, back to zero and a quality hold. I am still learning some of these scope terms so bare with me.
The larue QD104 seems like the best option but wanted to ask some opinions before proceeding with a purchase.

Re: One Piece or Two Piece Scope Mount for AR

You have many good options. I have used Mk4 rings and they performed quite well. Matter of fact they would still be on there but I went with a KAC single pc mount to go along with the "theme" of the build. I was trying to keep as many items in it KAC as possible.

But if you're looking to do swaps every so often then a good single pc mount is your choice. LaRue, KAC, maybe ARMS, Nightforce Uni-mount, or even the Badger single pc mount but you might need some sort of a riser to get the correct height.

Lots of good options, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Good luck.
Todd
SR_Outside_2a.jpg

KnightsMount_4a.jpg

kac_7.jpg

If you are really going to swap between the EO and a scope, the Larue is <span style="font-weight: bold">the</span> way to go.

Definitely go with a one-piece mount for your AR. It is much easier to install and remove and you can ensure a perfect alignment of your scope with the upper receiver. Another plus is you don't have to be as concerned with lapping two piece rings that may not mount perfectly to a slightly out of spec upper receiver rail.

As far as one piece mounts go, while the LaRue is a great mount, the QD features are really unnecessary for a setup where the scope will stay on the gun. In addition, the QD portion of the LaRue mount may get in the way with scope adjustment as the levers stick out quite a bit. I've found this to be the case on many of my gaming ARs as well as service rifles. The LaRue QD, while detachable, is still somewhat difficult to remove by hand after being properly installed, often warranting the use of a nylon cable tie to provide enough leverage for removal.

Personally my favorite one piece AR mount is the JP Rifles one piece mount. It uses a very low profile torx screw setup on the base and a split ring like the Seekins setup which makes scope installation into the mount much easier (versus the horizontally aligned screws on the LaRue). It's cheaper too! I've also found that this setup provides a bit better removal and reinstallation return to zero although it requires the use of a tool to do so.

Speaking on one piece solutions, anybody know of a 35mm one piece solution?

If I was at all considering removing and replacing the scope on my AR at all the only one I would consider is the Larue. It is spendy but your best bet to return to zero and you know anything Larue is quality.

On my AR Varminter I have the Armalite 1 piece mount and it has treated me well. While I don't plan to ever remove the optics and hope they return to zero I have had to remove the mount before and it did return to zero for me. I just don't make it a habbit and don't put much trust into the fact without going back to the range.

331567580113_0_BG.jpg

scopemount-after.jpg