• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Rack you have to see;

Kasumi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
New York, USA
I missed the first Odessa F-Class match this weekend because I was waiting around the house for this custom gun rack to be delivered. Project began two years ago with the woodworker asking for complete artistic freedom. This is what he came up with; What do you all think?

African Mahogany & Wenge wood
rack001.jpg

I guess there's something wrong when the finest home furnishing you own is a gun rack.
rack003.jpg

Re: One Rack you have to see;

Wow. That is real nice. Beautiful wood. Would look good with some of the fine older Double rifles and shotguns on it.

Looks good. I'm a firm believer in Artistic freedom in any case unless you have a specific thing you want done, at which point I've found it's best to provide the artist with the major points and let them explore it. I have tattoos where I just said a few words and let the guy use his imagination. It makes the artist happy and usually results in a great end result that doesn't feel forced or fails to live up to hard expectations.

I was expecting something different when I opened this thread...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was expecting something different when I opened this thread... </div></div>

Bacarrat, I know, hope it didn't disappoint ya too much.

Cav; Same here with the ink, I gave my tattoo artist a theme and let him roll with it, all Japanese style tattoo's. The opposite side of the room is all Japanese prints and swords.
The rack will hold WW2 vintage up to my new GAP Crusader.

Mac; Thanks, I'm sure the guy who made it appreciates the feedback.
rack loaded with a few
rack004.jpg

It took a good woodworker to bend the wood that way using a steam box. To much bending and you are back to square one. The grain is awesome in fact the whole project is a one of a kind. The person who made it has a natural feel for the wood,your rack is a labor of love and understanding wood. thanks for sharing

I wasn't sure whether to expect a mounted buck or some major boobage, but that is a very nice looking gunrack.

Very cool! wouldnt mind having that as the best piece of furniture in my place
laugh.gif

I have that same one upstairs! Cool. It was on sale at Costco. I was going to buy two but I didn't.

I worked in a custom furniture shop for about three years (in the evenings, afer work). I hated working with Mahogany, because it splinters, blows out, and is really hard to work with. That said, anyhing that was made out of Mahogany turned out beautiful, as did your gun rack. I think you have a one-of-a-kind piece of furniture that will be passed on. Great job, you should be proud of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ICANHITHIMMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clint whats that rifle in the middle with the gap cammo</div></div>

That would be the GAP Crusader that he spoke of.

Very nice indeed, do you put them out at will or leave them that way? I couldn't sleep at night with my beauties exposed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have that same one upstairs! Cool. It was on sale at Costco. I was going to buy two but I didn't. </div></div>

You are such an ASS. Funny, but a ass none the less.

sweet. is your place dusty? i could never leave my rifles out like that. in a day they would be coated with dust. wait a week and they would all be brown & fuzzy

nice wood though

Re: Questions

Trey; Don't know the final cost, it could be scotch and dinners at the King & I (Thai) for the rest of my life!

Strick9; I have a gun safe also, this is the man cave, guns and Japanese swords. hanging out with friends tossing down a beer or scotch, or both. Security? Pitt Bull, 12ga and a security system .
Axeman; No dust to collect on them, they are all used. I shoot on average 3 times a week.
Icanhithimman; Jon what about the rack? lol, asking about the gap camo rifle. You're all business, yea its a Crusader,
Splean; Watch out what you hope for, Shankster might hijack the thread and give you a rack to look at!

I'm sure the the person who made the rack is enjoying your comments, keep em coming. I hope to get him out shooting the GAP this summer. Future HIDE member?

Very nice. I'm thinking of making a rack out of balsa wood or drywall & crazy glue, whichever works best.

I don't think that is stain on the rack. mahogany when finished by hand at a slow pace and time can be some of the best looking wood you will ever see. Handloader is right abt splintering you have to take your time and have a feeling for the wood.

Nice rack!

I wanna see a picture of the 'other' side of the room. Im a sword buff.

Re: Stain & Steam

Mexican Match is right, there's no stain on the rack, just oil.
I'll get some sword pic's up too.
As for how he made it, there is no steaming involved. I'll venture a guess....a frame with a Mahogany laminate/vaneer? Thin enough to curve onto the frame??

Paul the maker of the rack has the whole procedure documented with photos. It will go up on a woodworking site soon. Then we'll find out how its made. Hundreds of hours, labor of love. Who knows, maybe he's the next Wendell Castle.

RACK: Its a Torsion Box

My friend who made the gun rack revealed his secrets on Woodnet.net. It’s based on a torsion box. No steaming and bending involved, he took a detailed picture log of the whole process. Gives me even more respect for his skills. If you’re into woodworking.

Go to; http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4838002&page

Thanks to all for the nice comments, I'm sure he appreciates it.

beautiful wordwork, looks great, was dissappointed at first though when i saw the thread title

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I missed the first Odessa F-Class match this weekend because I was waiting around the house for this custom gun rack to be delivered. Project began two years ago with the woodworker asking for complete artistic freedom. This is what he came up with; What do you all think?

African Mahogany & Wenge wood
rack001.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">I guess there's something wrong when the finest home furnishing you own is a gun rack.</span>
rack003.jpg
</div></div>

Looks to me like you've got your priorities straight. The only thing is that whatever guns you put in that rack are going to look like shit unless their all custom sticks or African doubles. Great looking rack.

nice rack.. i work for a custom fabrication shop and we make custom furniture and what you have there is pretty nice.