• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Reticle to rule them all?

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
I have a dream. One reticle on all of my long-ish range guns. This would involve bolt actions in the traditional calibers like 6.5 CM and 300WM (and may one day include something like a 338 Lapua) as well as gas guns in 308, 6.5cm, and .223.

Is there a reticle that works for SPR/DMR work as well as longer range precision? I was thinking something like the Gen 3xr might work since I have it in a 3-15 and like it and it comes in 3-15 and 5-25 scopes, but curious what others think. Has anyone done something like this? Is it stupid? Why are we here? Where are my pants?

I have a dream. One reticle on all of my long-ish range guns. This would involve bolt actions in the traditional calibers like 6.5 CM and 300WM (and may one day include something like a 338 Lapua) as well as gas guns in 308, 6.5cm, and .223.

Is there a reticle that works for SPR/DMR work as well as longer range precision? I was thinking something like the Gen 3xr might work since I have it in a 3-15 and like it and it comes in 3-15 and 5-25 scopes, but curious what others think. Has anyone done something like this? Is it stupid? Why are we here? Where are my pants?

I like the griffin ret on the PA GLX 2.5-10. Center chevron, horseshoe, range and windage marks underneath. I like the credo hx reticle as well. I like having a small center dot, a bigger horseshoe, then some ranging hashmarks in case I don't want to dial.

Funny, before I saw paragraph two I was going to say "Gen 3XR". @MNTC sells TT, ZCO and March here on the hide, he has experience with a bunch of reticles, both hunting and long range so could provide greater detail. Another reticle I'd recommend would be the MSR2, but with the way Schmidt is going (prices keep going up) you might as well look at other alternatives. I still wish ZCO had something more along the lines of the Gen 3Xr, as it stands I think their tree reticles are too busy and distracting, but the Gen 3XR and FML-TR1 got it right for a tree that doesn't distract, my favorite reticle from ZCO remains the MPCT1 but if they came out with an MPCT4 that had dots in the tree instead of thick solid horizontal stadia lines I might lean in that direction. At the end of the day the reticle is very much personal preference, so you really need to decide what will work for you in all the different situations each rig is purposed for.

Funny, before I saw paragraph two I was going to say "Gen 3XR". @MNTC sells TT, ZCO and March here on the hide, he has experience with a bunch of reticles, both hunting and long range so could provide greater detail. Another reticle I'd recommend would be the MSR2, but with the way Schmidt is going (prices keep going up) you might as well look at other alternatives. I still wish ZCO had something more along the lines of the Gen 3Xr, as it stands I think their tree reticles are too busy and distracting, but the Gen 3XR and FML-TR1 got it right for a tree that doesn't distract, my favorite reticle from ZCO remains the MPCT1 but if they came out with an MPCT4 that had dots in the tree instead of thick solid horizontal stadia lines I might lean in that direction. At the end of the day the reticle is very much personal preference, so you really need to decide what will work for you in all the different situations each rig is purposed for.
Thank you. I like the MSR2 but yeah, pretty soon the 8000 in RAL8000 will be the price.

I do with TT would come out with a 4-20 or a 6-30/7-35, though as I believe you have said, mirage will reduce the value of height magnification beyond a certain point.

Thank you. I like the MSR2 but yeah, pretty soon the 8000 in RAL8000 will be the price.

I do with TT would come out with a 4-20 or a 6-30/7-35, though as I believe you have said, mirage will reduce the value of height magnification beyond a certain point.
Me too, I thought TT would have released a new optical design by now. Holding out for ZCO as they seem to be listening.