• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One rifle for hunting and target shooting

QPM

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2023
TEXAS
Hey all. So I have a 1985 Rem 700 .243 with a Timney and a Mossberg Precision MVP 6.5 and they are both tack drivers. The glass on the Rem isn't great for target shooting (it's as old as the gun) and the MVP is too heavy to be a field rifle. I am been thinking of upgrading the Rem glass, but then thought maybe I should just sell them both and get one rifle that is light enough to be a field gun, but accurate enough for some target shooting.

Any suggestions? I am thinking of the Browning X-bolt hunter 6.5 (I am partial to wood stocks), the Springfield Waypoint 2020 6.5, Sako 20 or Christiansen.

Thanks

The Waypoint 2020 is like 7.5lbs bare gun, a great hunting option IMHO but also substantial enough when glassed and a bipod and can hanging off of it to be a very respectable range toy as well. It's a lot of gun for the money and probably one of the best buys south of $2K at the moment. But why not just add a third option?

The Waypoint 2020 is like 7.5lbs bare gun, a great hunting option IMHO but also substantial enough when glassed and a bipod and can hanging off of it to be a very respectable range toy as well. It's a lot of gun for the money and probably one of the best buys south of $2K at the moment. But why not just add a third option?
I don't really hunt anything that takes more than a 6.5 to put down (and I have a 30 30) and the .243 and 6.5 are pretty similar rounds in terms of shooting flat. I am thinking of paring down the cabinet so that instead of 2 or 3 similar guns that I rotate I have 1 that I just grab. I think between one good bolt gun, my lever action, my AR, my 22, and the 12/20 ga. I will have all of my typical needs over a year covered.

Also, in the past when something goes into the cabinet I have mentioned to the wife that something would be going out the door. It has only happened once when the Sig p238 legion appreciated so much I wouldn't shoot it any more so sold it. Selling a couple of rifles, not buying new glass for one, and re-using the XTR II from the MVP on the new gun and all the sudden it pencils out where the Waypoint would be like an extra $400 out of pocket.

They offer the 2020 in 6Creed, 6.5Creed, 6.5ARC and 308. 6Creed is an excellent paper/steel caliber and would do well for long range varmint hunting, i.e coyotes. 6.5ARC and 308 (inside of 400-500) are both better than 6.5Creed for putting down things with legs.

Reactions: QPM
- how much do you want to spend?
- what is your target weight?
- what kind of target shooting do you want to do? How far? Bench? Prone? Tripod? Barricades? All of the above?
- any plans to compete with said rifle? If so, what kind of comps?

I recently got into hunting, and I turn my main target rifle into a hunting rifle when needed. It's usually a ~21lb target rifle, but a quick swap of the chassis and barrel it turns into a ~12lb hunting rifle.

There's a few ways to go about it. Get one rifle that makes compromises to achieve both objectives, get two rifles that each excel in one area, or build a rifle that can perform both objectives well with some simple parts swaps.

none of those options are really that well suited to be good at both. there was another similar thread i commented on yesterday, and laid out my do-all build

but the chassis parts alone out do your budget

Reactions: tex68w