• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes One Scope for Multiple Rifles?

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
Like most on a budget, I am trying to find a way to get a high-quality scope. Looking at the NF's but that may be a little hopeful!

Anyway, here is my idea. I have a Rem 700, an AR15, and savage that I built, and I am wondering, if they all have picatinny rails, is there any reason I couldn't buy <span style="font-weight: bold">one</span> "high dollar" scope, and move it from rifle to rifle? obviously, this would be somewhat of a pain to always be re-zeroing my guns, but besides torquing the rings to the bases the right way every time, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

It seems to me like I could endure a couple minutes of detaching and reattaching scopes when I go shooting if I could have a Night Force on top of all my rifles!

What do you think?

Re: One Scope for Multiple Rifles?

You could make that work, no reason it wouldn't, but it's going to get old fast.

If your budget is say around $1500 then I'd much rather have a used SS SWFA 5-20 on the most shot bolt rifle, a 10X SS on the other and a Vortex Sparc on the AR. Or maybe 2 Vortex PSTs and the red dot.

Or sell the Savage and buy 2 nicer scopes for the Rem and the AR.

yeah, speaking from experience, it gets old, and what ends up happening is that a rifle just sits not getting shot. I have been thinking of a cheaper scope just to keep my AR in business...

It can be done, but it is more hassle than switching barrels

Dave

Well shoot. I thought I had a great Idea, but that makes a lot of sense!

Are there any quick detach rings out there that are really reliable?

I know my cousin has a set of quick detach rings on one of his guns, but he has always had issues with it, and I would prefer to avoid that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well shoot. I thought I had a great Idea, but that makes a lot of sense!

Are there any quick detach rings out there that are really reliable?

I know my cousin has a set of quick detach rings on one of his guns, but he has always had issues with it, and I would prefer to avoid that. </div></div>

I have two ADM mounts and they RTZ very well:

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/opticmounts/scopemounts/

This is the latest and greatest, according to Lowlight:

http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/products/p-rom-l-model-30mm.html

I really like the ADM style! I wish they built one of the 20MOA versions without the built in eye relief though!

Do you think that the built in eye relief would be a pain on a regular style rifle as opposed to a flat top AR15?

As pointed out above, no reason that won't work...but it will get old fast. Main reason is that even if you get a QD mount with good return to zero, the zero will be almost certainly be different on each of your rifles. A QD mount is much less painful when taken on/off the same rifle so that the return to zero actually buys you something.

If you do decide to go this route, you may want to think about whether spending the extra money for a Zero Stop feature is worth it, as it will have limited use when swapping between rifles. Also, if you do go with a single scope/QD mount, just be sure to meticulously record the zero setting for each rifle/ammo combination on which you use it (at 100 yd, for example). At least that will lessen the hassle of re-zeroing every time you switch between rifles.

I do it with the same rifle actions. When you mix in different platforms its not ideal because of different action heights.

That makes a lot of sense, I guess it might not even work on all of my rifles.

Like a lot of the other posters, I am going to suggest a QD mount too. LaRue guarantees RTZ. I have one of their LT 150 mounts for my aimpoint on my AR and it is good to go. For the scope, you can't go wrong with a NF. Good luck.