• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Shot or Case Slick?

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
I picked up one can each, first time they have been avail for months here, I know I should try them both first but any yea or nay about either of these before breaking the seal? At this time, these are the only two spray lubes I can find in my AO and I would like to stock up while they are avail in the next few days. From what I gather, the Horn is the most preferred.

Thanks

Re: One Shot or Case Slick?

One Shot is one of the best case lubes. It is also the most expensive. I like it because it wipes off easy where others you need to tumble to clean. I like the One Shot.

I'm curious to know as well, however my "spray lube" consists of this:

1) 99cent hand spray bottle from wallyworld
2) 3 tablespoons of olive oil
3) 8 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Combine oil and alcohol in the spray bottle, shake well, spray on and roll the cases around. Done. Total cost is about $2 and it's enough to lube probably 2000 cases.

It wipes off easy enough, but I'm a lazy bastid and I usually just throw the loaded ammo into the tumbler. If it's match ammo, I tumble before and after sizing, so there's no oil anywhere on the cases during the loading process.

Why spray?? Imperial case lube from Redding is much less costly. Their small tin will last years and years and years. How many times are you willing to pay the price for sprays? Yes, you still need to wipe it off the cases afterwards, but each reload step consumes some time. Tossing lubed/sized cases in the tumbler seems like a waste of media life. Paper towels to wipe off the residue seem a bit more cost effective.

YMMV

Most stuck case threads begin, "I was using One Shot." Those who use it will tell you it wasn't used correctly. That may be true, but I found One Shot required more effort than any other lube I've tried, regardless of how much was applied or how long I waited.

Imperial is the slickest I've ever used.

Would you guys stop trying to get people to use Imperial Wax instead of a spary lube? I really like ready the stories of people getting stuck cases using these spray lubes. Some of the threads were quite long and full of mirth.

We the state of the country these days, one looks for anything that brings a smile.

To the OP, there really is no difference you WILL get a stuck case with either one, sooner or, no just sooner. So pick one and stock up and don't forget the stuck case removal tool to go with it.

I like Dillon spray lube and haven't had a stuck case since the first time I used it: didn't wait long enough!

That was ten years and many thousands of loads ago.

I wipe them down after loading, it gives me a chance to give them all names: they're my babies now!
crazy.gif

I can lube about 500 cases in 10 minutes with One Shot. Been using it for years and thousands of cases and never had any stuck cases. Here's how I do it

I made that for a friend who is getting into reloading and was wondering about the whole process. That was what I made on lube. I can fit about 50-60 cases in the bag at a time if not more. Spray, roll, spray and dump into box then repeat. Simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most stuck case threads begin, "I was using One Shot." Those who use it will tell you it wasn't used correctly. That may be true, but I found One Shot required more effort than any other lube I've tried, regardless of how much was applied or how long I waited.

</div></div>

One Shot effort in my experience is this:
-dump 100 untumbled empties in a ziplok freezer bag.
-Spray OneShot into bag for a count of three
-roll bag around for a few seconds.
-spray another three count shot in the bag
-roll bag around for a few seconds
-set bag on counter opened and go have a smoke
-size 100 cases

OneShot works great for me. If you have any you don't send it my way. It also makes a great release agent for bedding stocks.

The bag trick is the only way to use OneShot, but I rcommend Imperial sizing wax.

Nice video Rob, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with my reloading specs scribbled on my bench in Sharpie!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most stuck case threads begin, "I was using One Shot." </div></div>

+1. Imperial Sizing Die wax is the way to go.

Don

Can't forget it that way
wink.gif

Imperial has it's place if you are doing case forming and such but for basic sizing it's just slowing you down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice video Rob, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with my reloading specs scribbled on my bench in Sharpie!! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't forget it that way</div></div>

Got mine of a laminated paper but it gets lost and in the way, I like the Sharpie thing and will give it a try.

Thanks for the help, I was thinking about 50 at a time Vs one at a time with wax. Will see how it works, thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice video Rob, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with my reloading specs scribbled on my bench in Sharpie!! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't forget it that way</div></div>

Got mine of a laminated paper but it gets lost and in the way, I like the Sharpie thing and will give it a try.

</div></div>

Just don't spill solvent or such all over your data!! Now I have it written inside the cabinet door above my press.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you guys stop trying to get people to use Imperial Wax instead of a spary lube? </div></div>

No need to feel threatened. I'm not trying to get anyone to use anything. Maybe if I develop my own product...

I simply said Imperial is the slickest I've used. I actually use Frankford Arsenal; less expensive and slicker than One Shot.

I use the bag trick with Case Slick. Find it works a lot better than One Shot.

You should compare them yourself before stocking up...

I will say the times I have gotten a stuck case has been with One Shot. It should be named "One Big Ass Shot", because it takes a lot for it to work. Imperial wax is great when neck sizing. I rub some on my finger tips of my left hand, and I grab a case by the neck and roll it as I insert it into the shell holder to size. I know a lot of people don't use any lube for neck sizing, but my cases will be very difficult to size otherwise.

If I use Imperial wax for FL sizing, I have to tumble the cases clean. Some cases will have a little Imperial left in the neck of the case and will effect the amount of effort it takes to seat the bullet. I think this could alter the load from round to round because of the different smoothness/tension in the case mouth.

I also use Frankford Arseal case lube. It's nice a slick, but needs to be tumbled off as well.

One Shot for all general resizing and I've been using it for years without any stuck cases (.308 bolt and Auto, 5.56 Auto)

For neck sizing on my .300WM use the Imperial Application dry media and it's awesome!

Now, when I have to use the Belted Magnum Collet die, I need to use either the imperial sizing wax or the new Hornady Sizing wax.. The spray lubes wont work for that application.Too much force and presure for the sprays...

I just use the case lube racks, spray, wait a minute and go. One other thing is to make sure your die is clean and also apply the Hornady One Shot to the inside of the die. I think allot of people that have issues with the One Shot have missed that part of the application instructions.

Just my .02

Good luck!

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now, when I have to use the Belted Magnum Collet die, I need to use either the imperial sizing wax or the new Hornady Sizing wax.. The spray lubes wont work for that application.Too much force and presure for the sprays...

</div></div>

That is the only time I use imperial and it works great for it.

I also give a small shot of One Shot in the die. Also if you don't wait the minute after spraying it will give you problems.

Anything but One shot here.

Pam cooking spray, wire pull lube, olive oil, sizing wax......

JUST ANYTHING BUT ONE SHOT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious to know as well, however my "spray lube" consists of this:

1) 99cent hand spray bottle from wallyworld
2) 3 tablespoons of olive oil
3) 8 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Combine oil and alcohol in the spray bottle, shake well, spray on and roll the cases around. Done. Total cost is about $2 and it's enough to lube probably 2000 cases.

It wipes off easy enough, but I'm a lazy bastid and I usually just throw the loaded ammo into the tumbler. If it's match ammo, I tumble before and after sizing, so there's no oil anywhere on the cases during the loading process.
</div></div>

Mine is similar.

1) 1 part liquid lanolin
2) 4 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol

I think I got this recipe from this forum a while back. Works for me.

had only 1 stuck case with one shot. lots with IOSSO spray (I don't recommend this product)
and none with RCBS lube

Have used one shot for years, spread out 300 to 400 cases on a baking sheet, spray the hell out of them, shake them around spray again. Load and put in ammo boxes. I don't remove the one shot just leave it on. Not one issue with it. Real time saver. Never a stuck case. Haven't really figured cost per round as compared to other lubes, but it is so minor who cares.

I use One shot for .223 cases. It's real quick with the ziplock bag method. I run 100 at a time.

Make sure you let it dry before resizing.

For .308 I have been using Imperial Die Wax and I like it a lot more for the bigger cases. The effort is a lot less when resizing than with the HOS.

I have used One-Shot (not real impressed with performance), Lyman aerosol and just tried the Dillon pump lube. I am very pleased with the Dillon stuff, and will probably continue using it if I can't make my own in the future.

I've used most of them when one or the other wasn't available. Lyman caused "water dents" on my cases. The Hornady is my preferred type but you HAVE to let the propellant evaporate before you start resizing or the cases WILL get stuck. Just about long enough to go get a glass of iced tea (3 min) or have a smoke
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I also have the Lyman Quik Spray lube and it caused the hydro dents. I bought some Imperial for my .308 and .30-06 cases. It works great. I am gonna try the homemade stuff for my .223 cases that I shoot from my AR.

What about KY Jelly, I hear it's a good lubricant! LOL
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X3M Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about KY Jelly, I hear it's a good lubricant! LOL
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah especially the warming kind.
grin.gif

"What about KY Jelly, I hear it's a good lubricant! LOL"

Don't know if you're joking or not but I have tried it for case lube - just to see - and it worked okay. So will at least some liquid hand soaps.

Hornady One-Shot on a cookie sheet, after awhile you get a nice thick coat of over sparyed lube on the cookie sheet that gets rejuvinated each time you spray another batch of brass. Also worth mentioning I sprayed 1200 rds of 5.56 brass from one ten dollar can due to capturing the overspray on the sheet. I still wipe each round off by hand with a rag, I read into tumbleing the rounds in order to remove the lube, but legend has it that this can break down extruded powders. (I use Varget) So I just sit down to watch a movie or something with a bowl of ammo and a rag, if I'm in a hurry I'll lay out a large towel out on the floor, dump the ammo onto it,fold the towel over and rub the rounds around inside the towel with the palms of my hand for a few minutes. Don't tell my wife I use her bath towels.

Been using One Shot for years (.308 & .223), not one stuck case with it (knock on wood) and I dont use a bag or cookie sheet. Put your cases in every other hole on a (as shallow as you can find) reloading block. Shake can WELL. Spray downward (dont drown it, just get good coverage) at a 45 degree angle from all four directions. Spray your die. Let all dry for 5 or 10 min and size. Never could figure out why people here, and I mean people that I know have more knoledge of reloading than I, have so much trouble with this product. I have no exp. with the other spray. Imperial is good stuff but just too damn slow and I'm not a person that gets in a hurry.

Homemade would be nice but I'm just too afraid of getting it IN the case and effecting the powder, OS has no effect on powder. JMO and experience.

okie

I use the same method as okiefired. I put about 10 cases in a loading block and spray down, getting the inside of the mouth while I'm at it. I'll lay them to the side and wait a minute while I size another batch of 10. I just kind of keep the rotation going. I've only had one stuck 308 case but that was due to my stupidity when I first started reloading (before I had the "waiting area").

It works well enough for me that I haven't bothered trying anything else.