• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns One Shotgun to rule them all

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I'm a rifle guy and love them. I have a defense shotgun and grew up on pumps. I am looking for ONE shotgun that I can use for everything. I'm not wanting a collection of them like I do rifles or handguns. With that said from skeet to hunting what would you get and why?

I'm looking at a semi-auto Franchi. Semi-Auto for speed and easy. Franchi for reliability, quality, and value. 3" or 3.5"? I'm thinking 3" so it can shoot 2 3/4 easier and I'm reading there is very little to nothing you need 3.5" for? 12g of course.

With that said what would you get if you could get one shotgun? gauge, length, semi/pump, brand, etc? I'm not against throwing 2k at a benelli, but I don't LOVE shotguns like I do rifles so why? Unless there is a good reason.

If you feel the need to own a shotgun, but don’t anticipate using it much, just get yourself a Remington 870 Express Magnum (Express Magnum is 3” chamber). Preferably an older model if you can find a used one (absolutely better quality than the new ones). Buy the shotgun with a bird barrel so you can use it for any upland/waterfowl/trap & skeet, then snag an extra slug barrel with rifle sights on GunBroker for HD or midwestern deer hunting in states that don’t allow rifle hunting if you want.

Some might suggest a Mossberg 500/590. I just prefer the Remington for a hunting gun (Mossberg with the tang safety for an HD gun). It’s a simple shotgun. Don’t overthink it.

Reactions: XP1K and geek65
I have several ? shotguns. Have a particular fetish for 20ga’s. But I have a Beretta 390 12ga that has been a workhorse. 26” is a great bbl length. I really like the 391’s also. Have couple Benelli’s, but I prefer Beretta’s.
We are real simple, vanilla, plain folks. But I aint gonna be seen with a Mossburg 500!!

If you've already got a HD shotty, you can check that off the list. For all the rest of the shotgun uses, I like gas guns vs inertia. SX4 and versamax are both good options. I've got an sx4 that is my do all that I love. They've both go a lot of options as far as aftermarket pimping you can do.

Simple, vanilla, and plain. Not words I would use to describe a Beretta shotgun. ? Hell of a nice stick though.

I have a Winchester sx3 that has been good to me the sx4 is just about the same gun for less $

A Remington 870 is all I got. Haven’t shot it in years. its simple and it works. You can go with a fancy 870 from Wilson Combat or Nighthawk if you desire.

Remington 870. Buy one from the 60s when they were built like... guns from the 60s.

Barrels, stocks, accessories... by the ton. It’s the Sopmod of shotguns.

Second choice... Mossberg 500.

Third choice, Winchester Mod 12.

Fourth choice Ithaca pump mag 12ga.

The 870 is still the most rugged and versatile.

Cheers, Sirhr

You can get new Benelli field grade gun for 1200-1500. If you only going to have one get the best. Look at the m1 and montifeltro

The franchi will cost you 800. It’s not a lot more money.

Browning A5..... Get a few different barrels, used is not too expensive, bulletproof....

This is an excellent choice if you decide on a semi-auto. I love the old Belgian-made Browning’s. Have a 20ga, and have told my LGS to let me know if they any new Belgian 12ga’s. They’ve already figured out I’m picky on this one and will probably make a bunch of money off me; I want the finish, stock/grip style, and receiver engraving as close to matching my current A5 as possible.

You asked for a shotgun to rule them all.

Well, here you go:
1568602721141.png

Oh wait, you meant cheap ones...…………….never mind

You asked for a shotgun to rule them all.

Well, here you go:
View attachment 7147998

Oh wait, you meant cheap ones...…………….never mind
Thats a fine unit but the OP wasn't asking about the kind of shotguns were you shoot 2 rounds, spend 5 minutes loading two more while talking about the weather, shoot another 2 rounds then pack it up in time to be home to watch The Price is Right before an afternoon nap..

Every time I go to a 3 gun match I see nearly every other brand besides Benelli malfunction. I've literally won the shotgun event at times purely because my shotgun worked 100%.

I have a Benelli Montefeltro in 20g too.

Expensive but money I have never regretted spending!

A nice old LC Smith 20g. Case colored. Fine walnut. I/M or M/F.

No need to get silly with new fangled junk.

If not this, then an old 870......

Benelli M2 will do it all. I have it's predecessor the M1 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60k through it. I shot trap, skeet, sporting clays, FITASC, hunted everything that flies and some things that don't, and more recently 3 gun matches with it I have replaced some springs along the way, but she keeps on chugging. I have 3 different barrels and 2 stock sets for it, they are very versatile and reliable guns. I'll post pics of the crusty old bastard if I get a chance. It's definitely been around the horn.

Pump guns are great, I love my old Wingmasters and My 590, but pump guns are a handicap in shotgun games.

Last edited:
870 wingmaster magnum (yes they made some of them)

I happen to have one of these as well as 2 brand new, never fired 870 wingmaster 18" police models from the 60's. Got them at an estate sale for 250 a piece :)

Aree on wingmaster if you want a pump. Benelli m1 or M2 in an auto. Prefer 24” for most things in a pump or auto

Reactions: TACC
Already mentioned but I like the 870. I have three barrels for it. Short for HD, medium for upland, and long for wetland and trap.

Skeet and bird hunting I like an old 391 Urika. You can shoot 1oz shells through it all day. Can be found for way less than new production beretta and benielli.

The only franchi (frenchy) I've been around was a complete POS. I've heard good things about A300, but never shot one and for all I know may be the same as the franchi.

For waterfowl hunting....Benelli SBE2
For 3 gun and home defense.....Benelli M2
For sporting clays...Krieghoff K80 Parcurs

In 3 gun you see lots of gun malfunctions but not many by Benelli M2s

Last edited:
Reactions: Kir and RNWRKNP
not that I found one yet but much love for the bennelli M3 convertible
1568738143172.png
Its semi auto with the ability to switch to pump for when you just have to have the ability use the slide . that or the spaz 12 gauge . either would be a hell of a find to buy . great for hunting , fishing , scaring the hell out of the daughters boy friend that you don't approve of .with only 37 thousands made of the spaz and no idea on the m3 convertible .

For waterfowl hunting....Benelli SBE2
For 3 gun and home defense.....Benelli M2
For sporting clays...Kreighoff K80 Parcurs

In 3 gun you see lots of gun malfunctions but not many by Benelli M2s

Nice to see another K80 man around here. My shotgun quiver is:

Bird hunting -> Beretta A400 Xtreme
Tactical -> Benelli M4
Clays -> Krieghoff K80 Pro Sporter

Well, if the one gun to rule them all is supposed to just be spendy, then this is what you need. Purdey Live Pigeon gun, 12ga. mod/full self-opener c. 1925. Cased, naturally.

If the "One Gun to Rule them All" is the most utilitarian... then get an 870.

If I could have only one shotgun, it would be a Wingmaster.

Sirhr
shotgun purdy 2.jpg

I hunt with a friend that uses a Beretta 390 for everything and does quite well with it. I often think if I only had one gun I'd shoot better, but I'm too much of gun nut to be sensible.

Reactions: Crang
not that I found one yet but much love for the bennelli M3 convertible View attachment 7148752Its semi auto with the ability to switch to pump for when you just have to have the ability use the slide . that or the spaz 12 gauge . either would be a hell of a find to buy . great for hunting , fishing , scaring the hell out of the daughters boy friend that you don't approve of .with only 37 thousands made of the spaz and no idea on the m3 convertible .
I had a Spas 12 many years ago. I liked it for the cool factor, but it wasn't great for practicality. Semi only functioned with high brass loads, and the pump action was not not very slick. I ended up selling it. The only shotgun I have now isn't very useful in it's original configuration either, so my opinion doesn't mean much. ?
20190407_113922.jpg

Reactions: acudaowner
Well, if the one gun to rule them all is supposed to just be spendy, then this is what you need. Purdey Live Pigeon gun, 12ga. mod/full self-opener c. 1925. Cased, naturally.

If the "One Gun to Rule them All" is the most utilitarian... then get an 870.

If I could have only one shotgun, it would be a Wingmaster.

Sirhr

Very nice! Makes me regret selling the old Rigby double I had years ago. It was a rising bite from 1887 that was rebarreled at the factory in the 60s. Took it out hunting a few times and killed some quail with it before I sold it.

Rigby 16101_1.jpg

Very nice! Makes me regret selling the old Rigby double I had years ago. It was a rising bite from 1887 that was rebarreled at the factory in the 60s. Took it out hunting a few times and killed some quail with it before I sold it.

View attachment 7148878
I would regret that, too!

Gorgeous! Indeed, one shotgun to rule them all!

Sirhr

Beretta A390, I love mine. It will digest any 2 3/4-3" shell without any trouble, the only trouble is finding a good used one. That's why I got a Montefeltro in 20g, man that thing is LIGHT.

Mike

Reactions: Crang
If you google most dependable shotguns (autoloaders), see what they use in Argentina on the dove fields. They burn through millions of shells a year. It's fairly common for a shooter to get off 1000 shots in a day. The two most durable auoto's are the A390 and the Benelli's.

Mike

A beretta 1301 comp 21” is a good cross use type shotgun. Allows choke use, not crazy long, takes recoil well. Mine has been very reliable with light birdshot all the way to slugs. Also have fun shooting clays as well as more hd type range shooting. Also at least when I was looking they where very reasonable on price.

Remington 870 shorty.....some of the packages come with standard stock, pistol grip. only downside is not pic rail on top

Exactly! That's a beefed up version of what I have but there's your all in one package

A beretta 1301 comp 21” is a good cross use type shotgun. Allows choke use, not crazy long, takes recoil well. Mine has been very reliable with light birdshot all the way to slugs.
I'm a big 1301 fan. I own a 21" and having shot the 24" its a coin toss which one I'd get if I were starting over.

It's a very soft shooting and reliable gun, in my experience it needs a spring tune up around 10k rounds though. Once you get the port cut how you like it there's not another gun that I'd rather quad load. Sub 3 second load 8's are not unheard of. Actually just got done with a quicky practice session and realized I can get sub .3 second splits and still hit a plate rack with a tighter choke.

The only franchi (frenchy) I've been around was a complete POS. I've heard good things about A300, but never shot one and for all I know may be the same as the franchi.
All the Franchi's (pronounced like fronkee) I've been around the last couple years have been licensed Benelli copies and ran great. They're definitely a step up from the low end Benelli copy, the Stoeger M3000.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was planning on stopping my gun collection at an H&K .45 USP Expert and an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. But then Robert Francis O'Rourke said some stupid things on TV, and I decided I needed a shotgun and an AR-15.

I've pretty much decided I'm getting the Mossberg 590a1. From what I've read, it has better build than the Remington 870.

I'm definitely getting the 18.5" model. My question is: Can you put a 500 extended barrel on it if I decide to shoot skeet/trap? I don't want to get a second shotgun just for one purpose.

I chose the 590A1 years ago and it hasn't disappointed me yet.
My favorites in it are the PDX1 and Razorback XT slug loads.
Right, but can you switch it out with a 500 barrel for skeet/trap shooting?