• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Stop Shop / .308

USMCGRUNT0341

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2008
Finally getting around to finishing my .308 Mega Maten build. My lower is already completed other than buffer and stock. If you were going on the higher end, is there any company that you would recommend over the other for barrel, BCG, rails, gas system, brake, etc?

I know that Aero is highly regarded on here. I have also researched Criterion, Proof, Fulton and JP (shying away from them for now). I was originally looking at 16" then wanted the distance of an 18". Just as everyone probably wants, I want to keep it as light as possible and shoot as accurate/far as possible. I am pretty sure those words don't go together too well.

Any recommendations would be great!

Like everything it depends. Its important to think about how your are going to be using the rifle the majority of the time. Also, think about the distances you may shoot and the size of the targets you are engaging.

The the velocity different between those two barrel lengths is not really significant, generically you are looking at around a 50fps difference which might translate into maybe another 50 to 100 yards before going trans sonic.

I've had a bunch of 308 AR's of the years with various barrel lengths , I've had 24,22,20,18,16 and 13.5 and for how I generally use my 308 gas guns, I can do everything that i need to do with a 16 inch barrel, and honestly I am really liking my 13.5. While Its very concussive without a can, with a low pressure K style can, its pretty cool.

Thanks for the replies. I purchased the matching upper/lower from Mega around 6 years ago. In hindsight now, I would have gone with a different caliber. I have looked at Seekins as well.

This is why I will probably end up with a shorter barrel and closer range for this one and wait to build one for longer ranges.

I already have the .223 market covered, now this and a Rem 700 in .308. I guess I’ll have to go Win Mag or Lapua after this. 😂