• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Online CAD/CNC Classes?

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
Im interested in learning autocad for work in the construction field and also CNC for fun. Anybody take or know of any good online schools for this stuff? Thanks in advance!

Re: Online CAD/CNC Classes?

www.cadinstitute.com

www.caddtrain.com

i haven't heard much about reviews of their programs. the best way to learn CAD, esp autocad is trial by fire. get a student copy and find a cad for dummies book and go after it. i went to a technical college back in 99-00 to run cad. i had a leg up on most. i've had copies of autocad in the house since around 90 i guess. my dad was a sr. structural steel designer for a company that builds drilling rigs and production platforms. the schools and classes will teach you to run the programs but it ends there. you still need to learn the basics of whatever discipline you are working in (housing, piping, electical, etc).

some other programs are giving autodesk a run on the for their money. ProEngineer (ProE) is getting huge. MicroStation and Solidworks as well.

I probably am using the term autocad loosely. I work in the pipe trades and would like to learn whatever program is most applicable to that. As for the cnc stuff, I have hear that autocad and an understanding of how it works can greatly help in learning how to make cnc programs and running cnc machinery. If I'm wrong let me know.

i have some buddies who are piping designer for companies like shaw and jacobs engineering. mircostation seems to be the program of choice followed closely by autodesks cadpipe. if you work a fitter try to find out what the engineering firms or yalls fab shop is using. most firms will jump on people who have a cert saying they can run cad and have time in the field. you have an advantage because you know what all these lines and symbols mean, how it get into the racks, and what need to happen once its up there.

The civil side tend to use Microstation or AutoCAD. If you have never done any manual drafting or CAD, you really need to take a real class that is not online. Since you are in Sac, all the JC's: ARC, Sac City, Consumnes, all offer AutoCAD classes that are gear towards civil. They only teach you the basic fundamentals. Everything else will be learned on the job.

For CNC work, you can use AutoCAD. Lathe guys tend to use AutoCAD. Some mill guys also use AutoCAD. Most mill guys are using SolidWorks because of integration with other CAM software like CAMWorks or MasterCAM. Not many JC's offer SolidWorks. Some universities will offer it. Or you can take the class from the VAR's.

My field of work is Electrical Engineering. In our department we design and manufacture electrical assemblies. We use Cadence ORCAD for PC board design and both Autocad and Pro-Engineer for 2D and also 3D mechanical modeling. In our field of work Solidworks is probably the market leader.

I review and assess resumes almost daily, I can tell you that what I look for is a guy that has good hands-on experience plus the normal grade for either college and/or courses (depending on the position). Mechanical designers/engineers that actually think in terms of the people who have to assemble the parts are generally worth their weight in gold... (presuming they don't have some other "fatal" personality problem, sorry had to add that qualifier).

Nothing wrong with starting out on Autocad to learn the basics.

RJ

I'm dong some research and it's sounding like the JC roughy might be the route to go. Thanks for the good info guys! Any of you guys know the best aka cheapest place to buy any of these programs? Does it matte that I'm running a Mac?

These CAD programs do not support Macs. You either have to do a dual boot or get a PC. If you are in school, you can get the student editions for about $200 for a two year student license. Everything you print out will have student edition over it. Besides that, you'll have to either fork out a few thousand or get it illegally.

Learn Navisworks if you are in piping!!! Try and error. Learn to use the keyboard commands instead of the buttons also. It will make you a lot faster and you will be able to utilize the programs tools better

Might try BobCad. I just bought a seat for lathe and mill with training Cd's for 700 bucks. Seems to be pretty much like Esprit, which we use at work. Mastercam is my favorite, but too much money. Brandon

There was a booth I saw today at IMTS called This title.
I just got back from three day's there.
Kinda whipped from all the walking, comp beers, And being responsible for others.

For learning different bits and pieces try this.

http://www.toolingu.com/default.aspx

If you have the time and desire you can learn a shitload for just a little money, and have proof for a job.

As for the manufacturing aspect most of our larger customers use Solid works.
Smaller ones cannot afford that.
We have Solid works and Gibbs Cam at work.
I have Alibre and Bobcad at home.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but since you don't know anything about drawing, you would be better off learning how to model.

It is much easier to machine a model in the computer, than a drawing. (we need to make a model from that!)

Esprit is the best out there.

More than willing to help you out, but going on 8- 10 hours sleep since Thursday morning @ 4 am right now.

Beer is good.
Espresso is Great!

Edit.
M&G codes needed for machines are basically the same.
May need different "tweaks" in the posts to get the output code right.