• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OnTarget group calculator - composite groups feature!

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2018
    I thought I'd demonstrate a nifty feature in the OnTarget (TDS version) group calculator software.

Made it out to the range today. It was freakin' hot! Hot and humid.... about 90 degrees and 90% humidity. No kidding. Shooting performance was so-so. I could tell I was "wilting" from the heat at the end.

Besides shooting my usual targets, I tried something different today. I put up a target with fifteen 3-inch bullseyes. I would shoot 2 shots in each and then use a computer program (OnTarget TDS) to superimpose them all to create a 30-shot "composite group." Distance was 100 yards.... Actually, 96 yards, which is the distance I plugged into OnTarget for the most accurate numbers.

This approach has some advantages, IMO. First... fewer shots on the each (but identical) bullseye. If I had fired 30 shots at the same bullseye, I'd end up with a ragged hole, possibly obliterating the bullseye - making a consistent POA (point of aim) difficult to impossible. The same is true of even 10-shot groups. It's difficult to spot your later shots, if they're going through a ragged hole in the target.

I also found that I like shooting at a "new" bullseye without the distraction of a bunch of other holes.

Then, with OnTarget TDS, I measured the 2-shot groups individually. Fifteen 2-shot groups. Then, I click on the "Show Extended Target Data" button, and voila!

There is some handy data on the left, too. Pretty nifty stuff, I think! Today's diagnosis: Trigger control issue (low and right).

PS... If you're not familiar with OnTarget,
    I posted a demonstration video here. (I don't work for OnTarget... just a happy customer.)

Last edited:
    I thought I'd demonstrate a nifty feature in the OnTarget (TDS version) group calculator software.

Made it out to the range today. It was freakin' hot! Hot and humid.... about 90 degrees and 90% humidity. No kidding. Shooting performance was so-so. I could tell I was "wilting" from the heat at the end.

Besides shooting my usual targets, I tried something different today. I put up a target with fifteen 3-inch bullseyes. I would shoot 2 shots in each and then use a computer program (OnTarget TDS) to superimpose them all to create a 30-shot "composite group." Distance was 100 yards.... Actually, 96 yards, which is the distance I plugged into OnTarget for the most accurate numbers.

View attachment 7087896

This approach has some advantages, IMO. First... fewer shots on the same bullseye. If I had fired 30 shots at the same bullseye, I'd end up with a ragged hole, possibly obliterating the bullseye - making a consistent POA (point of aim) difficult to impossible. The same is true of even 10-shot groups. It's difficult to spot your later shots, if they're going through a ragged hole in the target.

I also found that I like shooting at a "new" bullseye without the distraction of a bunch of other holes.

Then, with OnTarget TDS, I measured the 2-shot groups individually. Fifteen 2-shot groups. Then, I click on the "Show Extended Target Data" button, and voila!

View attachment 7087897

There is some handy data on the left, too. Pretty nifty stuff, I think! Today's diagnosis: Trigger control issue (low and right).

PS... If you're not familiar with OnTarget,
    I posted a demonstration video here. (I don't work for OnTarget... just a happy customer.)
    Great video, very detailed, not loving it's a Windows program vs an app, but I like the ability to analyze multiple poa/poi.

Great video, very detailed, not loving it's a Windows program vs an app, but I like the ability to analyze multiple poa/poi.

Thanks!

That's what I like about it... that it's a computer program rather than a phone app. I've tried the phone apps. They're... OK... in a pinch... to analyze maybe ONE group. But, doing it with (relatively fat) fingers on a tiny screen is VERY inefficient (by comparison) and probably not as accurate, IMO.

When I get back from the range, I do my "target processing" while relaxing on the couch. I send the target photos from my phone to my computer. Then I crop and edit my target pics to 800-pixels at the largest dimension. Open the pics in OnTarget and mark up the groups. Easy-peasy. I actually enjoy doing it... weird, eh? :) A version of an "AAR," I guess!

Last edited:
    It’s been years since I used this software, still have it on the server. But when I did use it, I did like it very much. Wonder if there has been any new nifty features, must be a newer version than what I have. Need to investigate..... thanks

Reactions: Racer88
    It’s been years since I used this software, still have it on the server. But when I did use it, I did like it very much. Wonder if there has been any new nifty features, must be a newer version than what I have. Need to investigate..... thanks

I think there have been some updates (and they're free after initial purchase). I have the TDS version, which has all the extras.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the info, I have two versions if I remember correctly, need to check it out this weekend sometime. Good to hear the updates are free. Thanks again!

It's a fantastic program that is SO much more robust, so much more versatile, and so much easier to use than a phone app. I think a lot of shooters are missing out by not having it.

Thanks!

That's what I like about it... that it's a computer program rather than a phone app. I've tried the phone apps. They're... OK... in a pinch... to analyze maybe ONE group. But, doing it with (relatively fat) fingers on a tiny screen is VERY inefficient (by comparison) and probably not as accurate, IMO.

When I get back from the range, I do my "target processing" while relaxing on the couch. I send the target photos from my phone to my computer. Then I crop and edit my target pics to 800-pixels at the largest dimension. Open the pics in OnTarget and mark up the groups. Easy-peasy. I actually enjoy doing it... weird, eh? :)

I'll use a phone app at the range if I need the group info right away, but I always use OnTarget once I get home to the laptop. Pretty much just as you said in your post. Will probably upgrade to the TDS version. Looks to have some good features.

Reactions: Racer88