• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
This particular series has caught my attention. (Like I need another knife) Anyone here have a Rat-5 or 7? Pros/Cons? Is the 7 like a small machete or is it a useful size.

These knives are very nice. I think the 7 gets real beefy. Real beefy. Unless you want a moster, get the 5 if my memory servers me.

I've got a couple RAT 7s. One's in 1095 and the other is in D2. They've got great blade length to handle proportions (not at all like a machete - that would be
the Ontario RTAK II which I also own), excellent balance, and they're very
tough. Not really all that heavy (compared to, say, my Busse's), but good choppers. They take a very sharp edge and hold it. The 7 is an excellent
all around survival knife. I also have a RAT 3. The RAT 5 is a 'tweener and a good choice if you think a 7" blade is more than you want. The 5, IMO, is probably
too short to be a comfortable chopper, but still a great knife.

Nice review here: Ontario RAT-7 knife: Choppaholic! - YouTube

Last edited:
The choice of steel that Ontario uses is another reason that attracted me. D2 is ok as long as the heat treat is done right, which is not an issue for major companies. I prefer 1095 for working blades. It doesn't do much in the way of corrosion resistance, but it holds a wicked edge real good. I have done some replacement blades with 1089 and 1095. Its easy to temper, and some cold bluing compound helps fight any rust or corrosion.

Now I just gotta find a decent place to get one from at a good price and figure out how to explain to my wife how I need one. Although I do have a birthday coming.