• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Open Carry ?

If you're in a burger king eating your whopper with back to the restaurant while your pistol is hanging off your fat ass barley hanging by some kydex in your non retention holster then yeah.

You look like a dick.

Reactions: EM92wx
I carry both open and concealed depending on where I will be going and the intended usage of my sidearm of choice for the day. Use a little common sense and no, you will not be a dick.

The only time I open carry is when teaching classes at the range, or riding my ATV up in the mountains. And then its usually a big bore revolver for the latter. When I worked as a LEO in Commiefornia we had an open carry guy get attacked from behind by a parolee , knocked him out and took the gun. So in general I'm not a fan of open carry.

Depends on the circumstances. I live in a very rural area and always open carry near home. I'm more likely to encounter a grizzly, wolf, mountain lion, etc. than I am a person. Now, when I go into town I conceal carry. Especially in summer when the place is crawling with asshole tourists. Most of these people are from other states and Canada. They see someone carrying a gun, even though legal, and panic. They call the cops and an officer has to waste his time for nothing. Not worth the hassle.

I kinda like the part of the video where he's using the m4 to get stuff off the top shelf at the grocery store. that would soooooo come in handy for vertically challenged people like myself !

Does open carry make you look like " a dick "

I'm not sure how any kind of open carry could make her look like a dick.....
20200117_105114.jpg

Ya know, that kind of pic works.

Obviously showing off her hotness and does not look like a filthy whore like the pics the boys love to post in MPT.

I dig it.

Made me think about hiding my gun...... ?

I open carry when I'm at the range, and especially when I'm there alone.

I usually have several thou worth of iron with me, and we're told by the CBP (who shoot just 50yd off to our left) that the coyotes and their padrones sometimes walk through on the far side of our berm. Mexico is about a fair rifle shot to our South.

I'm converting all my match handloads to Speer Gold Dot. What I may (may...) give up in accuracy should be repaid in utility.

Greg

Generally I don't like it. I spent a lot of time working and travelling in some not-so-great countries - poor and politcally unstable. I found a high corellation between how many guns were seen out and about and how big a shithole the place was. I don't consider the US a shithole.

I don't see it much - - usually some tacti-douche looking character.

There is a time and a place - range, grizzly county maybe, etc.

None of you dicks are qualified to call me a dick for open carry.

Wwwwaaattt?

OMG ............ make it go away !!!

dam , she could be hiding a 155 howitzer under all that.

Apparently she loves that post.
And how come we don't have a thumbs down button?

Open carry scares people and makes gun owners look bad. Conceal always for public perception and element of surprise.

Reactions: gigamortis
Now if we could mandate that everyone was supposed to open carry all the time, life might be so much better.

Open carry makes the bubbas who do it look like easy pickens. Seriously, you become a target and it might be a spur of the moment thing like "go grab that fat fucks gun, I dare ya". So, if you open carry, you REALLY need to have your head on a swivel and be very aware. Condition Orange minimum at all times.

You're also the first target IF someone is going to do something.

And yes, you kinda look like a dick.

Just my opinion. :geek:

Edit: Yes there are/is a time and place for open carry. At Starbucks or Walmart or Golden Corral are not the time OR the place.

Last edited:
I like the fact that open carry is now an option here in texas, but I wouldn't personally open carry other than in the woods or on my property. With a concealed weapon I have the element of surprise on my side. With an open carry weapon, if someone is looking to do harm it just makes me the first target.

When Ohio enacted concealed carry, we legally had to make sure it was visible (the buckeye tuck) in a vehicle in the event you were pulled over by LEO. That finally was fixed never made any sense any way. I never liked that people did the open carry protest shit show at the state house, it's legal leave it alone.
If I stop for fuel I don't take off my gun or cover it up necessarily it's a situational awareness thing and I try not to be in condition white at any time with or without a firearm.
Nor do I wonder around in public open carry, I see no benefit and yes it does give up your element of surprise but could also serve as a deterrent?
If it's legal the choice is yours choose wisely.

A grown men shouldn't worry about what other people think of his appearance.

He should care about the tactical implications of his actions and procedures, particularly if he cares enough to wear a firearm for honest defensive purposes and not just for useless peacocking and social signaling.

Reactions: Yasherka
Some states mandate open carry, concealed being prohibited or by special licenses only.

Do you shit on those 2A supporters in such states that have no other way to carry?

The law is made that way with the realization rational people don't like to be objects of attention and they won't carry their guns because of it.

Concealed is ideal but if they give you no option open carry is the way to go.

Clearly your environment dictates how one carries. If you are not allowed to conceal but allowed to open, then open it is. If you're in the Alaskan backcountry, open carry would seem obvious to me. Shopping at the mall with your wife is concealed all the way, if legal.

I prefer to keep low and play my cards close to the chest. You want to be aware of the threat but the threat to be unaware of you...open carry does not fit my mantra...to each their own though. I don’t judge.

I know a guy that only open carries. Always wearing a suit or dresses nice. He gets mistaken for a plain clothes cop fairly often and no one ever bats a eye at him at most places that don’t allow weapons.

Sneaky genius??

I dont open carry but it doesnt bother me if someone does. Their choice IMO.

Does it make a person a target. Meh, not sure. Maybe for that 0.01% of people that might try you...

Does it make the person a jackwagon...nah other things probably do that regardless of the open carry or conceal carry..haha.

Even if you ride down the street with a good ole bolt-action...Im good.

mosins10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C.
I dont open carry but it doesnt bother me if someone does. Their choice IMO.

Does it make a person a target. Meh, not sure. Maybe for that 0.01% of people that might try you...

Does it make the person a jackwagon...nah other things probably do that regardless of the open carry or conceal carry..haha.

Even if you ride down the street with a good ole bolt-action...Im good.

mosins10.jpg

Saw a lot of that in Switzerland....but they were more fit.......and on mopeds......with full auto battle rifles.

Reactions: Zeroit
Sometimes in a group one or 2 may carry open and the rest concealed.

Sometimes for fun if we see someone has noticed when they turn thier attention we swap just to jack with them.

if you open carry you'd better have a retention holster. You're advertising a free handgun. I'd think a sneaky SOB can be more safe concealing it and not letting anyone know his skills and abilities. If you are expecting a gunfight open carry a rifle. Officers would open carry rifles if they weren't so subdued by public opinion regarding scary looking guns. So they're left with being able to just open carry a pistol to fight their way to their rifles. have enough confidence in yourself and your skills to keep them secret. If you are insecure about your abilities practice more and more until you don't feel the need to advertise them.

Open carry makes the bubbas who do it look like easy pickens. Seriously, you become a target and it might be a spur of the moment thing like "go grab that fat fucks gun, I dare ya". So, if you open carry, you REALLY need to have your head on a swivel and be very aware. Condition Orange minimum at all times.

You're also the first target IF someone is going to do something.

And yes, you kinda look like a dick.

Just my opinion. :geek:

Edit: Yes there are/is a time and place for open carry. At Starbucks or Walmart or Golden Corral are not the time OR the place.

I found out about appearance trolling this past week when I took Celia into Tucson to the hospital. I had inadvertently worn my Trump hat instead of my usual Marine hat.

It wasn't until they brought her out of recovery that I got the umpteenth compliment for my hat, and I dawned on me that it was maybe not what I thought it was. I took it off, looked at it, facepalmed, and started to apologize for being a provocative dick, if not in so many words.

The nurse stopped me in mid sentence, and told me, no, it was the right hat.

Never saw that coming...

Greg

I found out about appearance trolling this past week when I took Celia into Tucson to the hospital. I had inadvertently worn my Trump hat instead of my usual Marine hat.

It wasn't until they brought her out of recovery that I got the umpteenth compliment for my hat, and I dawned on me that it was maybe not what I thought it was. I took it off, looked at it, facepalmed, and started to apologize for being a provocative dick, if not in so many words.

The nurse stopped me in mid sentence, and told me, no, it was the right hat.

Never saw that coming...

Greg

He was friggen hilarious yesterday with the collegiate champs.

Such a stark difference from the Adams Family characters on the Dem side - absolute detestable personalities - politics aside there is nothing redeemable in their inability to relate to real Americans.